Tailgater gets brake checked... and loses control of his car in the process

Started by Zeffy, March 16, 2016, 10:25:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Always good to know what speeds they do care about.  From what I was gathering anything under 70 wasn't considered, but 20 over is generally frowned upon.

Easter Monday...traffic was lighter than normal for my ride home.  80-85 was commonplace for the left lane in the 65 zone I drive in.  Only had to deal with a 2 - 3 mile backup where 10 miles is normal.  I think speeds are up mostly due to a very generic rush hour commute by many people that travel long distances, with a traditionally very laxed rush hour speed enforcement.  Outside of rush hours speeds are enforced a bit better (well, keep it below 80 in the 65 and most cops don't have an issue).

jakeroot

Quote from: hbelkins on March 29, 2016, 12:21:06 PM
Aircraft speed enforcement -- what a waste of taxpayer dollars.

If it's any consolation, they aren't used to pull over commuters going 6 above the limit. They are chiefly used in rural areas, often at night. And usually for only a couple of hours at a time.

SidS1045

Quote from: stridentweasel on March 27, 2016, 01:54:19 PMThis list might be better: http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

Yes it's better, but it still doesn't have the Massachusetts law quite right.  In MA you may pass on the right on a multi-lane road, but drivers in the left lane still must yield to faster traffic.  (Massachusetts General Laws, Chapter 89, Section 2 - https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXIV/Chapter89/Section2)
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

Pete from Boston

I hesitate to reopen this can of worms, but I've been driving a lot lately, and have noticed my own tendency to do something.

When I come upon traffic that slows quickly ahead, but not enough to need to brake, and someone's following close behind, I find I tap the brake as a courtesy and a well-intentioned warning that I'm going to slow down a lot now.

I haven't noticed hostile reaction to this–it's usually pretty clear that I'm actually slowing out of necessity and not being passive-aggressive.  Unfortunately there's no warning for a necessary slowdown, just a brake warning, so I use what I've got.

slorydn1

Quote from: Pete from Boston on July 07, 2016, 08:56:16 PM
I hesitate to reopen this can of worms, but I've been driving a lot lately, and have noticed my own tendency to do something.

When I come upon traffic that slows quickly ahead, but not enough to need to brake, and someone's following close behind, I find I tap the brake as a courtesy and a well-intentioned warning that I'm going to slow down a lot now.

I haven't noticed hostile reaction to this–it's usually pretty clear that I'm actually slowing out of necessity and not being passive-aggressive.  Unfortunately there's no warning for a necessary slowdown, just a brake warning, so I use what I've got.

There's nothing wrong with that, I kinda do the same thing. I usually drag the brake a little, so my brake lights are on for a few seconds but I'm not really on the brakes-I don't think the car really slows down all that much.

In any event, as the potential driver behind you I appreciate that when you do that!
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

jakeroot

Usually, when approaching a slowdown, I shift down several gears, only applying the brake when close to the "pack". If I didn't have a manual gearbox, I'd attempt to shift into a lower gear using the lever, if possible.

PurdueBill

Quote from: slorydn1 on July 07, 2016, 09:00:33 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on July 07, 2016, 08:56:16 PM

There's nothing wrong with that, I kinda do the same thing. I usually drag the brake a little, so my brake lights are on for a few seconds but I'm not really on the brakes-I don't think the car really slows down all that much.

In any event, as the potential driver behind you I appreciate that when you do that!

Seems reasonable.  The flash of the brake lights is probably a good idea to get some followers out of orbit though.  It does seem possible usually when cruising at speed to tap the brake enough to light the brake lights and slightly slow without drastically slowing that instant.  Slowing with no brake light indication by gearing down may be invisible to the space cadet behind you who only realizes you've slowed down when they are too damned close.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.