News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Anyone ever call glasses "glosses"?

Started by bandit957, April 13, 2016, 11:04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Does anyone here ever call eyeglasses "glosses"?

As in, "I can't find my glosses." Or, "I just dropped my new glosses in the toilet."

I had a family member who used to say this. "I can't read that small print without my glosses."
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Brandon

Maybe you're just hearing their accent.  In Inland North, it's "glyasses".  In other accents, it's "glahsses".  Your family member may be pronouncing it as the latter.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

on_wisconsin

No, not unless I'm trying to do a bad impression of an British accent.
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

hm insulators

I have one of those NOAA Weather Radios that plays weather conditions and forecasts 24/7, plus gives alerts for severe weather. They give the weather conditions not just for Arizona but also cities in other states. Sometimes they call Las Vegas "Los" (rhymes with "gross") Vegas. :pan:
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.