News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

How do you define Chicagoland?

Started by dvferyance, June 10, 2016, 02:41:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dvferyance

I was wondering how is the best way to define Chicagoland. it was originally consisted of Cook, Lake, Du Page, Kane and Will counties. Over the years it has expanded beyond that. Some say that even places as far out as Rockford, South Bend, Benton Harbor and La Salle-Puru are part of it. But I think that's a stretch any thoughts?

Max Rockatansky

I think people say Benton Harbor, MI since most people there tend to follow the Chicago sports teams versus Detroit.  For me the eastern end was always Gary, Indiana.  The sudden shift to heavy industrial landscape is something that I always associated with Chicago and the surrounding area.

pianocello

For me, it goes as far north as Waukegan, as far northwest as McHenry/Crystal Lake. The cities on the Fox down to Oswego are part of Chicagoland (Elgin, St. Charles, Aurora), but not much further west than that. As far southwest as Joliet and cities along US-30 to Merrillville would be considered part of it. In NWI, I would consider the eastern end to be the Lake/Porter county line, but some might disagree. As a resident (part-time) of Valparaiso, I would consider it outside Chicagoland, but extremely close.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

dvferyance

Quote from: pianocello on June 10, 2016, 03:24:38 PM
For me, it goes as far north as Waukegan, as far northwest as McHenry/Crystal Lake. The cities on the Fox down to Oswego are part of Chicagoland (Elgin, St. Charles, Aurora), but not much further west than that. As far southwest as Joliet and cities along US-30 to Merrillville would be considered part of it. In NWI, I would consider the eastern end to be the Lake/Porter county line, but some might disagree. As a resident (part-time) of Valparaiso, I would consider it outside Chicagoland, but extremely close.
I would say that's about right but some say it's even bigger than that.

Brandon

Cook, DuPage, Kane, Kendall, Lake, McHenry, Will, and Lake and Porter in NW Indiana.  Counties that I would consider peripheral, and may be part of Chicagoland, or may not, YMMV, include: Kankakee, Grundy, and DeKalb.  If you're in Minooka, then Grundy is, if you're in Morris, then Grundy isn't.  Same thing for Manteno versus Kankakee.  Kenosha County, WI is a border county between Chicagoland and Milwaukeeland.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

dvferyance

Quote from: Brandon on June 10, 2016, 03:49:54 PM
Cook, DuPage, Kane, Kendall, Lake, McHenry, Will, and Lake and Porter in NW Indiana.  Counties that I would consider peripheral, and may be part of Chicagoland, or may not, YMMV, include: Kankakee, Grundy, and DeKalb.  If you're in Minooka, then Grundy is, if you're in Morris, then Grundy isn't.  Same thing for Manteno versus Kankakee.  Kenosha County, WI is a border county between Chicagoland and Milwaukeeland.
Milwaukeeland? Never heard of that term before. Some would say La Porte, Newton and Jasper counties in Indiana are part of it. I can see the argument for La Porte but not Newton and Jasper. De Kalb county is not a part of Chicagoland there is absolutely nothing out there that connects it with Chicagoland. Grundy perhaps Kankakee I would say not. But then again some even consider Barrien County Michigan a part of it.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: pianocello on June 10, 2016, 03:24:38 PM

This is amazingly close to how I would define it.  Growing up in Oswego, I always believed my home to be the absolute edge of the Chicagoland area.  More or less, if the arterial roads have a speed limit of 55, you're not in Chicagoland anymore.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

SteveG1988

As a truck driver i define it as follows.

i-80 forms the bottom of the chicagoland area for me, out to i-55 where it crosses the Des Plaines. IL-59 north to 90 for the western border. This is for traffic snarls by the way... so yeah, As far north as the 94/294 split for the Tri-State  with IL-68 forming the extreme northern border. once you are on 94 north of 294 you are pretty much out of traffic issues going north.Going East, Lake Station IN. That is the farthest east i say chicagoland goes. Once east of there or south of there on 65 traffic drops off quickly.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

DandyDan

When I lived in St. Charles in my high school years, I always felt like going west of IL 47 meant I was out of Chicagoland.  When I went to college at NIU, I felt like I was going out to college in a city with it's own identity, although one closely tied with Chicago.  OTOH, when I went to NIU, we had both the Chicago and the Rockford TV stations.  Going to my grandpa's in La Salle County was half in suburbia and then out in the country once we got on IL 71 going SW from Yorkville.  La Salle County should never be counted as part of Chicagoland.  I think going west on I-80, it ends at Morris, so in short, I think IL 47 is the unofficial west border of Chicagoland.  Of course, my time ended there 20 years ago, so it may all be different now.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

ET21

Chicagoland: Cook, DuPage, Will, Lake IL, Lake IN, Porter, McHenry, Kane, Kendall, Grundy.
Added peripheral: Boone, DeKalb, Kankakee, LaPorte.

Mines a little distorted because I've used the NWS Chicago coverage. The WFO adds in Winnebago, Ogle, Lee, LaSalle, Livingston, Ford, Iroquois, Newton, and Jasper. All of those I would not consider. 
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

CNGL-Leudimin

For me, 'Chicagoland' is only the built-up area extending from Chicago, ending at the WI line and including Gary IN and surroundings.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

dvferyance

Mines a little distorted because I've used the NWS Chicago coverage. The WFO adds in Winnebago, Ogle, Lee, LaSalle, Livingston, Ford, Iroquois, Newton, and Jasper. All of those I would not consider.
[/quote]Even Walworth County WI would make more sense then any of those. At least I can say the Lake Geneva/Genoa City area is starting to become the very northwesternmost point of it in the coming years. Lake Geneva already has a lot of Chicago transplants living up there.

Super Mateo

On the south end, I would consider US 30 to be a good guideline for the southern edge, although some places (for example, Crete) would be included. IL 59 might make a good guideline for the western border.

Some define Chicagoland as IL only (at least one ad has said "Chicagoland and NW Indiana"), but I disagree, especially as Hammond shares a border with Chicago. I'd say I-65 would be a good guideline for the east.

I'm not as familiar with the north suburbs, so I can't really give a good answer for that.

Stratuscaster

This is likely the most accurate for me, too.

Boone, DeKalb, LaSalle, Grundy, and Kankakee County form the "Collar Counties" that surround Chicagoland.

DandyDan

Quote from: Stratuscaster on June 11, 2016, 09:49:39 PM

Boone, DeKalb, LaSalle, Grundy, and Kankakee County form the "Collar Counties" that surround Chicagoland.
I always considered Belvidere and the rest of Boone County part of the Rockford area.  But then again, some people apparently think Rockford is part of the Chicago area, a notion I find laughable, but they do call their airport Chicago Rockford International Airport.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

paulthemapguy

Quote from: DandyDan on June 12, 2016, 04:02:34 AM
Quote from: Stratuscaster on June 11, 2016, 09:49:39 PM

I always considered Belvidere and the rest of Boone County part of the Rockford area.  But then again, some people apparently think Rockford is part of the Chicago area, a notion I find laughable, but they do call their airport Chicago Rockford International Airport.
I agree with you.  The naming of the airport is merely a ploy to get residents from the actual Chicagoland area to use the airport and give them some business.  And even so, I'm still pretty sure they don't get much.

NWI_Irish96

I would define Chicagoland as McHenry, Lake, DeKalb, Kane, Du Page, Cook, La Salle, Kendall, Grundy, Will, Kankakee in Illinois, Kenosha in WI and Lake and Porter in IN.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Revive 755

Quote from: Super Mateo on June 11, 2016, 06:28:01 PM
On the south end, I would consider US 30 to be a good guideline for the southern edge, although some places (for example, Crete) would be included. IL 59 might make a good guideline for the western border.

I disagree with the western border, given the amount of growth west of IL 59.  If I wanted to define the western border based on a road, I would go with around the Randall Road/Orchard Road corridor or a US 12/IL 31/IL 120/IL 47/IL 71/IL 126/Ridge Road line.

For entering Chicagoland via I-55, I generally think of the fuzzy boundary being around the IL 113 interchange since this is where there seems to be a decent increase in residential development.  For I-57, I would say around the Monee Exit (Exit 335).  Via I-94 or the Indiana Toll Road I would say the interchange connecting I-94 to the Toll Road.

hbelkins

Has dzlsabe weighed in on this yet? I'm sure he will have some cogent and rational thoughts on the topic.  :bigass:

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

dvferyance

Quote from: Revive 755 on June 12, 2016, 01:45:22 PM

I disagree with the western border, given the amount of growth west of IL 59.  If I wanted to define the western border based on a road, I would go with around the Randall Road/Orchard Road corridor or a US 12/IL 31/IL 120/IL 47/IL 71/IL 126/Ridge Road line.

For entering Chicagoland via I-55, I generally think of the fuzzy boundary being around the IL 113 interchange since this is where there seems to be a decent increase in residential development.  For I-57, I would say around the Monee Exit (Exit 335).  Via I-94 or the Indiana Toll Road I would say the interchange connecting I-94 to the Toll Road.
For I-55 I would say Arsenal Rd For I-57 it would be Sauk Trail and for I-65 US 231.

ET21

Quote from: dvferyance on June 11, 2016, 05:25:47 PM
Even Walworth County WI would make more sense then any of those. At least I can say the Lake Geneva/Genoa City area is starting to become the very northwesternmost point of it in the coming years. Lake Geneva already has a lot of Chicago transplants living up there.
[/quote]

Wisconsin is tricky. You could honestly mark that as a gray area, being influenced by both Milwaukee and Chicago. Rock and Walworth may also have a small Madison influence as well
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

slorydn1

I grew up in the NW suburbs back in the 80's and for us Chicagoland was pretty much from a line drawn from the Wisconsin border down through Elgin, Aurora (etc.) all the way down to about Morris and then the line heads east from there to the Indiana state line. We didn't consider NW Indiana as part of Chicagoland. As somone else stated above, a lot of that came from car commercials.

"....so head on down to your Chicagoland and/or Northwest Indiana (Chevy/Ford/Dodge/Toyota/Honda) dealer now!!!!" (some would say and, some would say or, but all would mention the 2 locales as separate entities).

At least, that's the way it was back then, I haven't been back since June of '91 so I am not sure how its done now.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

corco

I lived in Geneva throughout the 1990s, and we considered ourselves the very edge of Chicagoland because that's where the last Metra stop was. By that logic, it looks like it goes out to Elburn now, so I'd consider Elburn/IL 47 to be the west edge of Chicagoland.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: dvferyance on June 12, 2016, 04:54:38 PM
Quote from: Revive 755 on June 12, 2016, 01:45:22 PM

For I-55 I would say Arsenal Rd For I-57 it would be Sauk Trail and for I-65 US 231.

Incidentally, Arsenal Rd is where the speed limit goes from 65 to 70.  So maybe you could define Chicagoland as the area where the Interstate speed limits are below 70  :biggrin:

dvferyance

Quote from: corco on June 13, 2016, 08:22:56 AM
I lived in Geneva throughout the 1990s, and we considered ourselves the very edge of Chicagoland because that's where the last Metra stop was. By that logic, it looks like it goes out to Elburn now, so I'd consider Elburn/IL 47 to be the west edge of Chicagoland.
Kind of but IL-47 is still mainly rural in most places other than around Huntley. I consider the boundary Randall Rd with a few zig zaging a couple miles west in some places. There is still farmland between Elburn and Geneva. Just keep in mind with the metra aurgument it also goes all the way out to Harvard as well which is pretty far out.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.