News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Vandalized signs

Started by hotdogPi, September 02, 2013, 02:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

Here are some signs that have been vandalized, making them hard to read:

All in Massachusetts:

MA 28 north, slightly south of 125: The "28" sign has a sticker that says "Speed Limit 5". It's not really speed limit 5.

I-495 south, between exits 46 and 45: Someone spray painted a 1 on a "Speed Limit 55" sign so 55 would say 155.

MA 129 west approaching 28: The "JCT" sign is missing, so all you see is "28", which may lead you to believe you're on 28.

MA 62, somewhere near its east end (forget where): The "62" is missing, leaving only "East".

US 1: Mile 66.6 has completely been taken down.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hotdogPi

Quote from: NE2 on September 02, 2013, 05:03:07 PM

:bigass:

Am I missing something obvious? That doesn't look vandalized.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Zeffy

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Alex

Quote from: Zeffy on September 02, 2013, 06:05:25 PM
I'm not sure vandalized is the correct word here... :happy:

Caltrans would disagree with you, but in this instance, they let Mr. Ankrom slide.  :nod:

SteveG1988

One general one i hate, when someone tags a bus stop sign to the point where you cannot see the buses that stop there.

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

kphoger

I was recently in Parras, Coahuila, again.  The city limit sign approaching from the east on Coah-103 has been graffitiieed to the point that you can't even read the city name.  It wasn't like that last year.  I can appreciate graffiti, but not when it obliterates other communication.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

DSS5

Wish I had a picture of the "STOP BUSH" stop sign in my neighborhood before it was cleaned up (this was around 2007).

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: DSS5 on September 02, 2013, 08:57:15 PM
Wish I had a picture of the "STOP BUSH" stop sign in my neighborhood before it was cleaned up (this was around 2007).

The stop sign near my house at the time read "STOP CARTER."  Same unimaginative political hacks, year after years.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Pete from Boston on September 02, 2013, 11:57:06 PM

The stop sign near my house at the time read "STOP CARTER."  Same unimaginative political hacks, year after years.

"Stop Hammertime" in Reading.

bulldog1979

For a while a few years ago, I was making weekly trips on US 131 to Big Rapids from the Grand Rapids area. There was a period where I'd pass exit 120 for M-57 to see someone's "creative" spray painting prowess at turning a Clearview 1 into a 4. First it was the gore sign northbound, which was replaced by the next week. (MDOT has a transportation service center near that exit.) Then on the third trip through, it was the southbound gore sign, but that person used red spray paint instead of white. Again, a week later, it was replaced.

sandwalk

Along Illinois Route 2, about 25 miles south of Rockford.  Clever!  :clap:

1995hoo

Car and Driver once had a picture of an orange sign saying "BUMP" that someone had spray-painted with "FIX" and "PLEASE."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

When I was a young kid in New Lenox, IL, someone added a letter to make the sign say

CROSS TRAFFIC DOES SNOT STOP
Male pronouns, please.

1995hoo

Quote from: Pete from Boston on September 02, 2013, 11:57:06 PM

That's similar to stupid things like painting a speed limit sign to say "SPEED LIMIT 135" or the like. There are four speed limit signs about a mile from our house to which someone did that and they've never been replaced–instead, for at least ten years now the vandalism has simply been covered up by red tape. It looks really stupid.

The quintessential vandalism of that sort, in my mind, that might have been amusing 40 years ago but is now decidedly trite is the thing where some people STILL persist in scratching the hot-air hand-dryer instructions in public restrooms to say "1. Push butt. 2. Rub hands gently under arm. 3. tops all." I have no idea why some people still find that funny.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

agentsteel53

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 03, 2013, 12:34:04 PM
The quintessential vandalism of that sort, in my mind, that might have been amusing 40 years ago but is now decidedly trite is the thing where some people STILL persist in scratching the hot-air hand-dryer instructions in public restrooms to say "1. Push butt. 2. Rub hands gently under arm. 3. tops all." I have no idea why some people still find that funny.

that doesn't even make sense.

this is actually pretty funny:
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

myosh_tino

When I saw this thread, I immediately thought of the show The Screen Savers on TechTV.  On the set, there was an old-school "NO LEFT TURN" sign but two extra words were added to kind of make it relevant for this call-in tech help show.  Since I can't find a photo of the actual sign. I took an image of a regular NO LEFT TURN sign and added the two words myself.  Here's what the sign looked like...

Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

WichitaRoads

At this intersection in Wichita: http://goo.gl/maps/ZOiY7 (wish it still said it in the image)

The red diamonds are replaced now, but for a while, someone had spray painted each diamond with a letter in black:

F  -  A  -  R  - T

Yeah, really juvenile, but still frickin' hillarious... especially when someone painted over the letters, and they would bleed through at night with headlights!

ICTRds

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 03, 2013, 12:34:04 PM

ROFLMFAO.

Oh, I mean, how juvenile. (snicker...snicker...)

Brian556

Vandalism of signs has gone way down since the 90's.

Some of the ones I've seen are:
DIP shit
don't STOP believin'
BIG bALLS DR (was BIG FALLS)
ROAD WORK  HEAD (a was removed)

Truvelo

This one has been slightly altered :D

Speed limits limit life

The High Plains Traveler

One of those "Why wasn't my camera ready?" moments happened last month. Driving U.S. 26-89 in Wyoming along the Snake River south of Grand Teton National Park. I didn't notice until I was almost past it, but a standard pictorial deer crossing sign (with the deer's front legs raised) had added to it the cowboy who usually rides the bronco on Wyoming license plates, waving his hat. It was so well done I wonder if it wasn't done at the sign shop.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.