News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

I saw several such photos from the Oklahoma ice storm. Either that's a rare embossed sign (not likely) or it's a Photoshop job (very likely).

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Zeffy

I just don't get how it looks like the "ice" sign is placed overlapping the normal sign. Am I missing something here..?
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Alex4897

Quote from: hbelkins on November 30, 2015, 11:14:57 PM
I saw several such photos from the Oklahoma ice storm. Either that's a rare embossed sign (not likely) or it's a Photoshop job (very likely).

There can be enough of a height difference between the layers of reflective material on a regular sign to create such a pattern in a coat of ice.  I don't see any reason to disbelieve this photo's authenticity.
👉😎👉

roadfro

Quote from: Alex4897 on December 01, 2015, 12:00:34 AM

There can be enough of a height difference between the layers of reflective material on a regular sign to create such a pattern in a coat of ice.  I don't see any reason to disbelieve this photo's authenticity.
Often, regulatory signs are made by making a blank rectangle of white reflective sheeting, then applying the non-reflective black elements on top of that. (That is why you sometimes see the black peeling off of some signs in hotter climates.) There is a thickness to the black film that could cause what is seen on this photo.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

vdeane

If you can feel the difference with your finger, it's enough to see in the ice.  I don't see a reason to believe this is photoshopped, though I'm curious how it slid that way rather than stay in place or fall to the ground.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Zeffy on November 30, 2015, 11:17:16 PM
I just don't get how it looks like the "ice" sign is placed overlapping the normal sign. Am I missing something here..?

It has slid down from its own weight, and is being supported by the ice below it on the post.

We don't have a lot of ice storms here, but we have a lot of ice, and as it slides it does a lot of spectacular things.  The photos of unusual ice formations hanging implausibly off badly insulated roofs here last winter clogged Instagram for months.

TrevorB

theline

^^ I've not seen a sign like that one, though it reminds me of this (picture stolen from GSV):

This stretch of US 33 near Goshen, IN was badly designed. The parking bays were a later addition. It took the deaths of 3 teenager girls to make INDOT wise to the fact that miles of high-speed highway with a curb and few cuts was a bad idea.

In 1978 the girls' Ford Pinto may have broken down in this area. A van plowed into the back, causing the Pinto to burst into flames. The local prosecutor charged Ford Motor with homicide in an unprecedented case, but Ford was found not guilty. Although the prosecutor contended that the Pinto was moving when struck, Ford's expert contended that it was stopped. INDOT added the parking bays after the accident. Pintos were recalled to strengthen the rear of the vehicles, where the gas tank was located.

hbelkins

A high school and college buddy of mine had an old Pinto. He called it "The Bomb" because of the well-known tendency of those things to explode if they were struck from the rear.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cappicard

This is quite redundant.

Southbound Renner Boulevard at eastbound K-10 and northbound I-435.

The No Left Turn sign is odd because anyone would crash into the side of that hill if they attempted such a turn.

iPhone

Ace10

^ There are a couple of (text only) "NO LEFT TURN" signs here in Oregon where there is obviously no cross-street or driveway to the left at an intersection, but the sign is still there. Maybe it's to satisfy a legal requirement (turns are automatically allowed unless a sign prohibits them). But I think the signs are also useful in case there is dense fog or otherwise low visibility. At least you know if you need to turn left, right there is not where to turn.

Are you saying having both the no left turn and no U-turn signs both on the same pole is redundant? There is a combined 'no left turn and no U-turn' sign with the arrows combined, but depending on state law left turns might be prohibited but unless U-turns are also prohibited they may be permitted, so both in fact may need to be posted.

wytout

Quote from: roadfro on December 01, 2015, 12:42:06 AM
Quote from: Alex4897 on December 01, 2015, 12:00:34 AM

Often, regulatory signs are made by making a blank rectangle of white reflective sheeting, then applying the non-reflective black elements on top of that. (That is why you sometimes see the black peeling off of some signs in hotter climates.) There is a thickness to the black film that could cause what is seen on this photo.

Could be a situation that there was some more melting of the ice where the black text was drawing in the rays, vs. the reflective section of the panel that would be reflecting rays?  Causing a thickness difference in the ice.
-Chris

D-Dey65

An unusual use of a Danger Warning sign on some teen actress's instagram page:

https://www.instagram.com/p/6V42STPtg6/

roadman65

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.5375571,-74.2958596,3a,75y,3.27h,68.39t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sso9sPsKtZoAGd5Mp7F2YNw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

I could have swore I posted this one earlier, but it is not in my history or in the thread.  Three DO NOT ENTERS, as seen in the link, is kind of interesting.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

freebrickproductions

Found this unique sign at an intersection in northern Madison County, AL a few months back. It's bad enough as it is, but it gets even better when you notice the grammar error on it.
Beautiful by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

roadfro

Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

cappicard

Quote from: Ace10 on December 11, 2015, 10:58:07 PM
^ There are a couple of (text only) "NO LEFT TURN" signs here in Oregon where there is obviously no cross-street or driveway to the left at an intersection, but the sign is still there. Maybe it's to satisfy a legal requirement (turns are automatically allowed unless a sign prohibits them). But I think the signs are also useful in case there is dense fog or otherwise low visibility. At least you know if you need to turn left, right there is not where to turn.

Are you saying having both the no left turn and no U-turn signs both on the same pole is redundant? There is a combined 'no left turn and no U-turn' sign with the arrows combined, but depending on state law left turns might be prohibited but unless U-turns are also prohibited they may be permitted, so both in fact may need to be posted.
The No U Turn sign should be sufficient as that is a side of a hill. The access ramps to/from eastbound K-10 end in a T at Renner Boulevard there.

These were put in within the past few months as part of the Johnson County Gateway Project.

Unless I'm mistaken, there is nothing within Kansas State Law to warrant this.

J N Winkler

Quote from: roadfro on December 01, 2015, 12:42:06 AMOften, regulatory signs are made by making a blank rectangle of white reflective sheeting, then applying the non-reflective black elements on top of that. (That is why you sometimes see the black peeling off of some signs in hotter climates.) There is a thickness to the black film that could cause what is seen on this photo.

I think Oklahoma DOT uses black process ink rather than film for small single-sheet non-designable signs.  My own theory is differential heating from ambient lighting.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

noelbotevera

Quote from: freebrickproductions on December 14, 2015, 11:26:52 PM
Found this unique sign at an intersection in northern Madison County, AL a few months back. It's bad enough as it is, but it gets even better when you notice the grammar error on it.
That actually makes sense despite the grammar error. Crossing traffic has right-of-way, meaning they do no stop.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

freebrickproductions

Quote from: noelbotevera on December 15, 2015, 06:02:11 PM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on December 14, 2015, 11:26:52 PM
That actually makes sense despite the grammar error. Crossing traffic has right-of-way, meaning they do no stop.
Though it isn't MUTCD compliant. Here's how it should look if it was following the MUTCD:
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.7222955,-86.5746793,3a,15y,24.27h,75.71t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1svb29UjnL5LawGrWfUQyyag!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo1.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3Dvb29UjnL5LawGrWfUQyyag%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D49.030113%26pitch%3D0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Zeffy

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

ekt8750

Quote from: Zeffy on December 15, 2015, 09:57:44 PM
Pennsylvania does it in a more interesting way (was this a construction sign? Because it still exists as of today):

https://www.google.ca/maps/@40.3113234,-74.9056236,3a,15y,30.21h,85.84t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sB04eDXV_qqdZXH_7GbHhxA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Those stop sign modifiers are usually white. I guess that particular one was temporary and then became permanent and they never installed a new permanent sign.

SignGeek101

Big John

cappicard

Quote from: ekt8750 on December 16, 2015, 11:12:13 AM
Quote from: Zeffy on December 15, 2015, 09:57:44 PM
Pennsylvania does it in a more interesting way (was this a construction sign? Because it still exists as of today):

https://www.google.ca/maps/@40.3113234,-74.9056236,3a,15y,30.21h,85.84t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sB04eDXV_qqdZXH_7GbHhxA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Those stop sign modifiers are usually white. I guess that particular one was temporary and then became permanent and they never installed a new permanent sign.
Around here in KC, they're typically yellow and rectangular.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.