Strangest destination/control city for an exit/ramp

Started by TravelingBethelite, November 24, 2015, 10:19:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NJ

Pete from Boston

Quote from: NJ on November 29, 2015, 06:20:52 PM
Reminds me of santa

Living near Ho-Ho-Kus for many years, the name lost any oddity to me and I never thought much about it, until some prankster went and added an extra "Ho-" to one of these signs at Christmastime.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Big John

Quote from: Pete from Boston on November 29, 2015, 07:10:53 PM

Reminds me of santa

Living near Ho-Ho-Kus for many years, the name lost any oddity to me and I never thought much about it, until some prankster went and added an extra "Ho-" to one of these signs at Christmastime.
Is it close to this?:

bing101

I-8 Beaches the westbound direction for San Diego.

roadman65

Quote from: Big John on November 29, 2015, 08:02:19 PM

Reminds me of santa

Is it close to this?:

So that is where the song "Here Comes Santa Claus" gets the line "Right down Santa Claus Lane." :bigass:
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

wanderer2575

In these days of turmoil and strife, it's good to know there's a place off I-94 in western North Dakota where all is still right with the world:

https://goo.gl/maps/GjeKjguGSyB2

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

RG407

Quote from: wanderer2575 on November 29, 2015, 09:07:56 PM
In these days of turmoil and strife, it's good to know there's a place off I-94 in western North Dakota where all is still right with the world:

https://goo.gl/maps/GjeKjguGSyB2

:clap:

It would be so awesome if there was a secondary sign that said "Where the Deer and Antelope Play / NEXT RIGHT"

RG407

My favorite in Florida... exit 193 on Florida's Turnpike, Yeehaw Junction.

mwb1848

Surely the fact that Exit 29 on I-10 in New Mexico has no destination means its a contender:

https://goo.gl/maps/LPYgsKZYtvB2

Big John

theline

Quote from: Big John on November 29, 2015, 08:02:19 PM

Reminds me of santa

Is it close to this?:

It's nowhere close to this: Christmas Blvd. in Santa Claus, IN. Nearby there are lots of Christmas-related street names and businesses, including a Santa Lane. I found the town to be a bit of a disappointment, aside from the Christmas store with nearly every kind of Christmas decoration imaginable. I've been told that the Holiday World amusement park is a treat for the younger set.

roadman65

Well pretty soon we might not have all these names as some, like former user Bugo, thought that was forcing religious values on the people, may have them removed altogether.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

bing101

bing101

vtk

Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Henry

There's also a Santa Claus, GA, with some Christmas-themed streets (Reindeer St, December Dr, Candy Cane St, Dasher Dr, Noel St, Sleigh St, Dancer St, Salem St, Rudolph Way). Although one has to wonder, why only three reindeer names, and what exactly does Salem have to do with Christmas?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

SD Mapman

The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

NJ

Zeffy

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

english si

Quote from: Zeffy on December 01, 2015, 10:42:29 PMThat's a rather discriminatory sign.
I can understand not letting non-Muslims into Mecca's holy areas. However the sign is pretty meaningless as the only non-Muslims allowed in Saudi Arabia are foreign workers (the ones of a certain calibre - not the slave labour from Africa/Indian subcontinent) who live in compounds that allow them some freedom within (though still no booze or Christianity. And definitely no Jews!) and have limited access to the rest of the country.

And that's before we mention that women cannot drive past that sign, nor any other in the country*.

Saudi Arabia is basically what the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (to use the name of the initials most commonly used: ISIS) would look like if it successfully cleared out the undesirable peoples, got recognised as a nation state and become a Western 'ally'.

*When the previous King of Saud visited Queen Elizabeth II some years ago, they were at her Scottish estate. The Queen asked if the King would like a drive around the estate. He said yes, and got in the back of the Land Rover, expecting to be joined in the back by the Queen and driven by some game keeper or chauffeur. The Queen got in the driving seat and drove off without saying a word about it, but began discussing the estate and pointing out stuff. I can't remember whether this subtle challenge to the Saudi King was turned into "we can't let women drive - the Queen drives way too fast over rough terrain, takes her hand off the wheel to point, etc" or not.

lepidopteran

In Hanover, MD, Exit 8 of MD-100 is for "Coca-Cola Dr."
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1749379,-76.7372314,3a,75y,354.12h,86.87t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1syh8Q95FH1ieCczuCSY7gbw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
While there actually is a Coca-Cola bottling plant in Hanover, it's not on that road.  Perhaps it was at one time?

One exit on I-75 has control cities "Cleveland, Dayton".  What's odd about that you say?  It's that this exit in the middle of Tennessee!  You would think of these as cities in Ohio, where I-75 spends a lot of it's route.  Admittedly, you might have heard of Dayton, TN, as it was put on the map by the Scopes Monkey Trial, which was fictionalized in "Inherit the Wind".

In Monroe, OH, Exit 29 of I-75 is for OH-63.  A supplementary BGS (not brown) on the side used to read
"Americana
Fantasy Farm
Next Right"
You might think of "Fantasy Farm" as some sort of "adult"-oriented resort, but it was actually quite the opposite; a small amusement park featuring only kiddie rides, along with some live farm animals and such.  It was right next door to another amusement park, Americana, also known as LeSourdsville Lake.  Both parks have been closed for a while now.  Ironically, that same exit was frequently used to access yet another theme park -- King's Island -- a much bigger park whose 1972 opening arguably hastened the demise of the other two.  While the "official" directions from points north were I-75 -> I-275 -> I-71, most folks seemed to take OH-63 to OH-741, if not some other back route.

In Port Clinton, OH, an exit on OH-2 used to have "Put-in-Bay" as a control city IIRC. A somewhat odd name, Put-in-Bay is a resort on South Bass Island in Lake Erie.  A supplementary BGS (LGS?) does still say which "Next 2 Exits" has ferry service to get there.  One such exit has a control city of "Catawba Is", which is actually more of a peninsula than an island.

Henry

I wonder if they'll pull that Clark Griswold prank at the Garden State Parkway's Exit 135 again? Maybe they're trying to petition the town of Westfield to change its name to Griswold, as suggested by the temporary alteration below:

This is what the real signs for the exit read:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6289706,-74.3023079,3a,75y,235.88h,81.49t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s2HSnud7Rcyg4UJry_jr1Ww!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Quote from: lepidopteran on December 02, 2015, 01:59:18 PMOne exit on I-75 has control cities "Cleveland, Dayton".  What's odd about that you say?  It's that this exit in the middle of Tennessee!  You would think of these as cities in Ohio, where I-75 spends a lot of it's route.  Admittedly, you might have heard of Dayton, TN, as it was put on the map by the Scopes Monkey Trial, which was fictionalized in "Inherit the Wind".
But then you realize that I-75 in OH goes through Dayton, but not Cleveland :bigass:
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

noelbotevera

^ Looks like that patch was stolen from Connecticut.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.