AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
 on: Today at 08:31:16 PM 
Started by 7/8 - Last post by MNHighwayMan
It's in the top ten most visited websites on the entire Internet. It really shouldn't be surprising.

on: Today at 08:27:04 PM 
Started by 7/8 - Last post by LM117
When did doggies start being called doggos?  Is that some internet thing?

It's a huge part of Reddit culture. Now it's been widely adopted by the internet.

Of course. Reddit. Why am I not surprised? :rolleyes:

on: Today at 08:15:44 PM 
Started by V'Ger - Last post by LM117
Edging back from fictional territory, here's what I think (from an NC point of view, that is).

Conversion of US 74 to an interstate from I-26 to Wilmington: It's pretty much inevitable. Watch Shelby. With construction on the Shelby Bypass underway, it's only a matter of time before someone in Shelby says, why don't we have this as an interstate highway? And Wilmington is on record wanting an interstate connection along US 74.

Conversion of all of US 17 in NC to an interstate: not impossible, but not any time soon. We'll see additional freeway sections, but I don't see any push for a full interstate.

Connecting I-74 to Myrtle Beach: never going to happen. NCDOT has zero motivation to build that section through the swamps from US 74 to US 17.

US-74's conversion between I-26 and Wilmington would probably be made up of shorter interstates rather than one long 3-di. I-x26 between I-26 and I-85, I-x74 between I-485 and I-74 in Rockingham. It would certainly be easier than trying to ram one long corridor through Congress.

I don't see a push for US-17 (sans I-87) to become an interstate, either.

I also don't see NCDOT sending I-74 to Myrtle Beach. I-74's routing through the swamps is a huge invitation for lawsuits. Hell, NCDOT is already being sued over the US-70 Havelock Bypass and it hasn't even broke ground yet.

on: Today at 08:14:35 PM 
Started by 1 - Last post by jp the roadgeek
Of the top 10 metro areas I have not visited:

2. LA
3. Chicago
4. DFW
5. Houston

I consider 4 to be within driving distance (NY, Boston, Philly, DC), and I lived for 8 months in one (Philly).  The NYC combined statistical area borders my town.

Atlanta is the only of the top 10 that I've visited and not left the airport.  Miami and Atlanta are the only 2 I have visited and not driven in.

Smallest I passed through in a car is Ocean City, NJ (#363).  Smallest I've spent time and driven in is Gettysburg (#349)

on: Today at 08:13:50 PM 
Started by Occidental Tourist - Last post by SignBridge
The Federal MUTCD requires route shield, cardinal direction and control city. Seems pretty simple to me. I don't understand why California doesn't follow those requirements.

Also, someone spoke earlier about message loading requirements. Does Calif. have their own standard on that? The Federal Manual does not have message loading rules per se. They only have a recommendation re: number of destinations in the full sign display.

on: Today at 08:13:20 PM 
Started by 7/8 - Last post by MNHighwayMan
When did doggies start being called doggos?  Is that some internet thing?

It's a huge part of Reddit culture. Now it's been widely adopted by the internet.

I'm probably dating myself asking this but what exactly is Reddit anyways?

Wow, and to think I've been going there since probably my junior year of high school (2008-09).

on: Today at 08:11:26 PM 
Started by 1 - Last post by Brandon
NYC for me.  Been to LA, and live near Chicago.

on: Today at 07:57:17 PM 
Started by Desert Man - Last post by JMoses24
77 and cloudy in Eureka, MO.

on: Today at 07:55:24 PM 
Started by Alex - Last post by JMoses24
I'm in Eureka, MO currently where it is cloudy and 77. Heading to West Plains to set up for a chase day.

on: Today at 07:53:36 PM 
Started by ET21 - Last post by JMoses24
Looks like tomorrow could be good in southern MO. I'm on my way there as I type this.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.