News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapmikey

Quote from: sparker on July 25, 2017, 04:02:39 PM
Quote from: froggie on July 25, 2017, 09:18:49 AM
Quote from: sparker on July 24, 2017, 01:41:05 PM
Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on July 24, 2017, 01:00:54 PM
Do you foresee US 220 being routed along the south/west sides of the Greensboro loop one the next segment opens?

With I-74 to follow the east loop of the WS beltway, what will happen with the stub of the current I-74 north of I-40?

Given NCDOT's tendency to continue to sign US routes along their original alignments when a parallel Interstate freeway is deployed, it would be probable that US 220 will continue along its present routing through Greensboro.

US 421 would like to talk to you about that...

Like the English language, there's always an exception to any assumption somewhere (especially with NC signage practices)!  Nevertheless, it's pretty clear that a SB I-73/NB I-85 "loop" of US 421 is preferable to the previous path down the downtown-routed I-40, as it eliminates some surface street running.  But I still think US 220 will retain its present direct route through central Greensboro rather than shift to I-73, which is effectively a western beltway; there's likely some benefit seen to maintaining a moderate level of traffic on the original alignment because of its proximity to centrally-located businesses and other points of interest. 

I think for North Carolina the "rules" can only be looked at city by city.  For example, Raleigh moved everything to the beltway, then moved it back later.

Charlotte has left everything through the city.  Durham put Business routes through the city.

Greensboro has historically taken their routes out...even NC 6, so I'm in the camp of believing US 220 will end up on the Greensboro Loop.

What will Fayetteville do with US 401 once I-295 is finished further along...?

CanesFan27

Quote from: Mapmikey on July 25, 2017, 04:22:19 PM
Quote from: sparker on July 25, 2017, 04:02:39 PM
Quote from: froggie on July 25, 2017, 09:18:49 AM
Quote from: sparker on July 24, 2017, 01:41:05 PM
Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on July 24, 2017, 01:00:54 PM
Do you foresee US 220 being routed along the south/west sides of the Greensboro loop one the next segment opens?

With I-74 to follow the east loop of the WS beltway, what will happen with the stub of the current I-74 north of I-40?

Given NCDOT's tendency to continue to sign US routes along their original alignments when a parallel Interstate freeway is deployed, it would be probable that US 220 will continue along its present routing through Greensboro.

US 421 would like to talk to you about that...

Like the English language, there's always an exception to any assumption somewhere (especially with NC signage practices)!  Nevertheless, it's pretty clear that a SB I-73/NB I-85 "loop" of US 421 is preferable to the previous path down the downtown-routed I-40, as it eliminates some surface street running.  But I still think US 220 will retain its present direct route through central Greensboro rather than shift to I-73, which is effectively a western beltway; there's likely some benefit seen to maintaining a moderate level of traffic on the original alignment because of its proximity to centrally-located businesses and other points of interest. 

I think for North Carolina the "rules" can only be looked at city by city.  For example, Raleigh moved everything to the beltway, then moved it back later.

Charlotte has left everything through the city.  Durham put Business routes through the city.

Greensboro has historically taken their routes out...even NC 6, so I'm in the camp of believing US 220 will end up on the Greensboro Loop.

What will Fayetteville do with US 401 once I-295 is finished further along...?

Yet US 70 hasn't moved nor  has 29.

I think 220 could indeed move as it would be a shorter route along the loop then if it stayed inside.

NE2

US 29 and US 70 have totally moved onto the O'Henry Boulevard old school freeway.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

WashuOtaku

Quote from: CanesFan27 on July 25, 2017, 05:24:09 PM
Yet US 70 hasn't moved nor  has 29.

I think 220 could indeed move as it would be a shorter route along the loop then if it stayed inside.

Well... US 29/US 70 have moved in the past to where they are now.

I'm in the camp US 220 will not move.  I believe I-73 is using US 220 as it's faux business route through Greensboro and there is no plans to change US 220's destination city to a bypass route.

Strider

NCDOT spokesperson has told me in the past that they are not going to move US 220 when I-73 opened all the way to US 220. So, US 220 will remain as is. US 29 won't be moved either.

US 70.. however, might be a different story. In the local transportation project update (2015), the map showed US 70 being rerouted along I-40/Bus 85 east to I-840/I-785 then route it with I-840/I-785 before meeting and heading back on its original routing (Exit 19). However, I didn't see any proposals for it, so I believe it might be an error. But, take it with a grain of salt. Here is the link below:

http://www.greensboro-nc.gov/modules/showdocument.aspx?documentid=4879

WashuOtaku

Quote from: Strider on July 25, 2017, 10:38:29 PM

NCDOT spokesperson has told me in the past that they are not going to move US 220 when I-73 opened all the way to US 220. So, US 220 will remain as is. US 29 won't be moved either.

US 70.. however, might be a different story. In the local transportation project update (2015), the map showed US 70 being rerouted along I-40/Bus 85 east to I-840/I-785 then route it with I-840/I-785 before meeting and heading back on its original routing (Exit 19). However, I didn't see any proposals for it, so I believe it might be an error. But, take it with a grain of salt. Here is the link below:

http://www.greensboro-nc.gov/modules/showdocument.aspx?documentid=4879

I do not believe they are moving US 70 because they could have already done so years ago.  Since that stub was opened, it was signed as "To US 70."

CanesFan27

Quote from: NE2 on July 25, 2017, 06:52:38 PM
US 29 and US 70 have totally moved onto the O'Henry Boulevard old school freeway.

As has 220 for that matter. Sorry, i Should have been more clear. 70 and 29 currently remain with the loop and in 70s case it does route on surface streets within the city limits like 220.

Avalanchez71

I wonder if the US routes routing are tied more to a Regional NCDOT culture or decision making process due to the way these are routed throughout the state.

LM117

Construction crews working on the new Bonner Bridge struck an underground cable, knocking out power to Ocracoke and Hatteras islands. Oops...

http://www.wcnc.com/mb/news/local/regional/mandatory-evacuation-on-ocracoke-island-after-obx-power-outage-fix-could-take-weeks/460027899

QuoteBUXTON, N.C. - Two islands along North Carolina's Outer Banks are completely without power, and authorities are mandating non-residents and tourists to evacuate as residents prepare for an extended outage.

Cape Hatteras Electric Cooperative officials said in a Facebook post Thursday that the breaker at Oregon Inlet was tripped about 4:30 a.m., causing a full outage for Hatteras and Ocracoke islands. Several hours later, crews found a fault on the transmission cable attached to the Bonner Bridge that has been under construction.

The spots are popular among tourists and summer vacationers from up and down the East Coast. Officials report about 9,000 customers are without power on the two islands – with over 7,700 on Hatteras alone.

Officials attributed the cause of the outage to contractors with PCL Construction, the company building the new Bonner Bridge, who reportedly drove a piling though an underground cable.

As crews worked to restore the outage, all non-residents have been mandated to evacuate Ocracoke Island. However, it has been said that the outage 'could last weeks.'

Residents are asked to immediately shut off all non-essential breakers, limit electric use to refrigerators and fans and avoid running air conditioning units once generators are operational.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

froggie

Big oops.  And the contractor will likely end up with the bill since they were apparently the ones at fault...

LM117

Quote from: froggie on July 29, 2017, 06:04:44 PM
Big oops.  And the contractor will likely end up with the bill since they were apparently the ones at fault...

It's a safe bet. Gov. Roy Cooper has already declared a state of emergency for those islands.

https://www.ncdps.gov/gov-cooper-signs-state-emergency-hatteras-ocracoke-islands

Oh yeah, somebody's gonna be shelling out some $$$...

CanesFan27

Quote from: Mapmikey on June 25, 2014, 06:38:04 AM
NC has also proposed NC 472 for the Northern Durham Pkwy which will run from the I-40/540 by RDU Airport concurrent with I-540  to Aviation Pkwy then north as new construction to connect with US 501 north of Durham.  See https://connect.ncdot.gov/resources/safety/Route%20Changes/Map%20U-4721%20140611%201609%20-%20SDV.pdf

I find it odd that the June 2014 NC STIP (https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/Planning%20Document%20Library/LIVE_STIP.pdf) shows this as unfunded yet they have gone to the trouble of proposing a route change and assigning a number.

They are also going to extend NC 58 another 1.4 miles to the end of the road in Fort Macon State Park - https://connect.ncdot.gov/resources/safety/Route%20Changes/NC%2058%20Carteret%20Request%20140422%20-%20APPROVED.pdf

These changes plus NC 555 were published in the last day or two.

Mapmikey

Earlier today, a trip to the attic ended up with me checking out a box of NC maps I hadn't touched in probably five years.  WIthin the box was a 2004 map of Raleigh that had a few clues (two map errors of roads not even built yet) on the Northern Durham Parkway/NC 472.  Some further digging lead to a blog entry about the proposals for this route and the map errors. 

The Northern Durham Parkway was first proposed in the late 1960s and was part of the controversial "Eno Drive" proposal.  A compromise proposal in the late 90s leads to the new routing today. Plus, if the state ever moves forward in building the highway from I-540 to I-85 as a freeway - another new interstate perhaps.  However, there is no funding for this highway at the moment....so time will tell.

http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2017/07/the-few-clues-of-northern-durham-parkway.html

LM117

Quote from: CanesFan27 on July 29, 2017, 11:35:53 PMThe Northern Durham Parkway was first proposed in the late 1960s and was part of the controversial "Eno Drive" proposal.  A compromise proposal in the late 90s leads to the new routing today. Plus, if the state ever moves forward in building the highway from I-540 to I-85 as a freeway - another new interstate perhaps. 

http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2017/07/the-few-clues-of-northern-durham-parkway.html

I doubt I-shields will be involved if the freeway option is chosen. It will be difficult to explain to AASHTO the need for an interstate there when Future I-885/NC-147 (toll) already serves as a connector between 540 and I-85 and is in fairly close proximity to the proposed parkway, not to mention that NCDOT plans to upgrade US-70 to a freeway between I-540 and NC-147/East End Connector. I can't see AASHTO approving the parkway as an interstate.

The Ghostbuster

How many more Interstates does North Carolina need?

CanesFan27

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on July 31, 2017, 04:42:42 PM
How many more Interstates does North Carolina need?

As many as however many highways that meet standards and connect to the existing interstate system allow.

wdcrft63

Quote from: LM117 on July 30, 2017, 04:33:12 AM
Quote from: CanesFan27 on July 29, 2017, 11:35:53 PMThe Northern Durham Parkway was first proposed in the late 1960s and was part of the controversial "Eno Drive" proposal.  A compromise proposal in the late 90s leads to the new routing today. Plus, if the state ever moves forward in building the highway from I-540 to I-85 as a freeway - another new interstate perhaps. 

I doubt I-shields will be involved if the freeway option is chosen. It will be difficult to explain to AASHTO the need for an interstate there when Future I-885/NC-147 (toll) already serves as a connector between 540 and I-85 and is in fairly close proximity to the proposed parkway, not to mention that NCDOT plans to upgrade US-70 to a freeway between I-540 and NC-147/East End Connector. I can't see AASHTO approving the parkway as an interstate.
I agree. Here in Durham we really want the East End Connector (Future I-885), now under construction. I don't hear anyone wanting another freeway connection to I-85.

sparker

Quote from: wdcrft63 on July 31, 2017, 06:33:31 PM
Quote from: LM117 on July 30, 2017, 04:33:12 AM

I agree. Here in Durham we really want the East End Connector (Future I-885), now under construction. I don't hear anyone wanting another freeway connection to I-85.

Speaking of I-85, are there any plans afoot for bringing that freeway out to beyond 4 lanes (total) north of Durham?  Several members of my GF's family live in the Oxford-Henderson corridor -- and I'm always hearing complaints about the state of I-85 into Durham (narrow, short lines-of-sight, etc.). 

NJRoadfan

They reconstructed the 4-lane Durham to Oxford section of I-85 about 8 or so years ago, and now they are doing Henderson to the state line. No widening, just complete pavement reconstruction and spot upgrades (I had hopes they were going to relocate the US-1 South ramp to the right hand side, but that isn't happening). The biggest noticeable difference is the tree clearing along the shoulder to widen the "clear zone" current standards.

sparker

Quote from: sparker on July 31, 2017, 11:19:59 PM
Speaking of I-85, are there any plans afoot for bringing that freeway out to beyond 4 lanes (total) north of Durham?  Several members of my GF's family live in the Oxford-Henderson corridor -- and I'm always hearing complaints about the state of I-85 into Durham (narrow, short lines-of-sight, etc.). 
Quote from: NJRoadfan on July 31, 2017, 11:28:05 PM
They reconstructed the 4-lane Durham to Oxford section of I-85 about 8 or so years ago, and now they are doing Henderson to the state line. No widening, just complete pavement reconstruction and spot upgrades (I had hopes they were going to relocate the US-1 South ramp to the right hand side, but that isn't happening). The biggest noticeable difference is the tree clearing along the shoulder to widen the "clear zone" current standards.

Since the last complaints I fielded from the local folks were a little less than a year ago, I'm guessing that the pavement rehab didn't do much for the basic old-school geometry.  Knowing that family as I do, the last thing they'd probably notice would be any difference with the adjacent trees!

LM117

I had to take my mother to Durham yesterday for her doctor's appointment at Duke. If there's any part of I-85 that needs widening in that area first IMO, it's the 4-lane section between Durham and I-40.

On another note, I also ran into heavy backups on NC-86 in Yanceyville due to a resurfacing project, which doesn't look like is going to end anytime soon. I came through last week and sat for nearly half an hour. It backed up and lasted to the point that truck drivers were getting pissed off and started blowing their loud ass horns at the guy holding one of those signs that says "slow/stop" on either side of it to get him to let us through and I mean laying on the horns. I ended up taking US-501 from Durham to US-58 in South Boston during yesterday's trip back to the house. It added roughly 20 extra miles than NC-86, but traffic flowed better and unlike NC-86, US-501 was 4 lanes most of the way.

LM117

A class action lawsuit has been filed against the contractor building the Bonner Bridge due to the power outage.

http://www.wral.com/lawsuit-filed-against-company-accused-of-causing-outer-banks-power-outage/16852161/

QuoteOCRACOKE, N.C. – A class action lawsuit has been filed against the company whose contractors accidentally severed transmission lines, causing an extended power outage to the southern half of the Outer Banks.

PCL Construction, a contractor working on the Bonner Bridge replacement, accidentally severed last Thursday two of the three underwater transmission lines supplying power to Hatteras and Ocracoke islands.

Gov. Roy Cooper on Thursday declared a state of emergency and a mandatory evacuation was put into place for both islands. About 40,000 to 50,000 people had been evacuated from the island as of Monday evening, while approximately 5,000 to 6,000 people remain.

"The island has been evacuated, nobody is there. They do not have people coming into their businesses," said attorney Matt Lee with Whitfield Bryson and Mason.

On Monday, a class action suit was filed by Whitfield Bryson and Mason on behalf of two people who own homes used as vacation rentals as well as an art gallery owner, who said their properties have been negatively impacted by the outage.

"We all saw on the news last week when the power line got hit," Lee said. "We realized there were a lot of people out there who needed help navigating the system."

The lawsuit claims that, due to the uncertainty of when repairs to fully restore power will be completed, those named in the suit have "been devastated because of lost rentals, tourist and business income during the peak tourist season."

The lawsuit also asserts that tourists have canceled plans to visit the island through the rest of tourist season because of the lingering uncertainty surrounding repairs.

Susan Flythe, the general manager of the electric co-op, said crews have already spliced one of the damaged cables and are digging up the second one. The utility also is putting up an overhead transmission line from the Bonner Bridge to existing lines on Hatteras Island, she said.

Flythe said crews are working on both plans until it's clear which is fastest and safest. Depending on the approach, rrepairs could take one to two weeks, she said.

The lawsuit is seeking damages from PLC, stating they could have prevented the power outage by "using proper risk management practices, following industry standards, following required safety protocols and precautionary procedures and properly maintaining equipment."

"Moreover, because their conduct endangered the health and safety of a large region and population, caused and increased the risk of serious injury and bodily harm, and affected a financially vulnerable population dependent on tourism and vacationers during this time of year, the degree of reprehensibility of PLC's conduct is at the highest level,"  the lawsuit states.

Cooper visited businesses in Rodanthe on Monday to see firsthand the impact of the outage on the local economy. He praised coastal residents as resilient, noting they have weathered many storm-related outages in the past.

Cooper said his staff and the Attorney General's Office will work to see if business owners and tourists who have lost money can be reimbursed. Numerous tourists have said vacation rental agencies are refusing to refund the money they paid for homes they cannot stay in this week because of the evacuation, insisting that refunds are provided only in the event of a natural disaster.

HazMatt

Quote from: LM117 on August 01, 2017, 08:15:09 AM
Numerous tourists have said vacation rental agencies are refusing to refund the money they paid for homes they cannot stay in this week because of the evacuation, insisting that refunds are provided only in the event of a natural disaster.
[/quote]

IIRC they have to refund them unless the renter was offered and declined insurance that would cover this.  I would imagine that the renters are entitled anyway as the rental would be considered 'unfit' with no power.

LM117

Upcoming project on I-95 in Halifax and Northampton counties.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=14175

QuoteRALEIGH — Major pavement and bridge rehabilitation work will begin next month on nearly nine miles of Interstate 95 in Halifax and Northampton counties. It will cover the interstate between Chockoyotte Creek and the Virginia State line.

The highway improvements will include the ramps to and from the N.C. Welcome Center, with shoulder widening and guardrail installation also taking place where necessary.

In addition to the pavement work, the $16.8 million contract awarded by the N.C. Department of Transportation to Adams Construction Company of Roanoke calls for work on eight bridges across the two counties.

The bridge rehabilitation consists of new epoxy deck overlay on two bridges to prevent water from seeping into the structure. The other bridges will undergo minor concrete repairs and joint replacements, in addition to having their decks sealed in order to extend their life.

The locations of the Halifax County bridges in each direction are over U.S. 158, Becker Drive, CSX Railroad tracks and the Roanoke River.

The bridge work in Northampton County involves the I-95 North and South structures over the Roanoke River.

Work can begin as soon as August 28 and will be completed by October 2018. Additional vegetation work can continue through March 2019.

This was one of 16 highway and bridge project contracts recently awarded by the Department of Transportation. They were worth about $204.5 million, which was more than $13 million under DOT estimates.

LM117

Another new interstate possibly in the works? :hmm:

http://www.greensboro.com/business/is-there-a-megasite-highway-in-the-region-s-future/article_d3f6cdec-20ec-500f-a40c-050fe798d747.html

QuoteGREENSBORO – On a Thursday morning full of what-ifs, economic developer Jed McMillan asked the N.C. Board of Transportation to ponder a biggie.

How about another interstate corridor coming into the Gate City besides Interstates 40, 85 and 73 – this one known colloquially as the N.C. Megasite Corridor?

McMillan, a vice president of the Piedmont Triad Partnership economic development group, urged the board during its monthly meeting at the O. Henry Hotel to upgrade about 100 miles of U.S. 421 to a future interstate highway.

The aim would be to link four so-called megasites from Moncure along U.S. 1, just off the southeastern leg of the corridor, to Piedmont Triad International Airport on the northwest, he told the board.

"Obviously, we'd like to rename the corridor because we are talking about connecting I-95 and I-85,"  McMillan said. "We would like to have it designated as a future interstate corridor – I don't care if you call it I-885 or I-895."

The board took no action on McMillan's request, which came amid presentations by transportation planners from Greensboro, High Point, Burlington, Winston-Salem and the Piedmont Authority for Regional Transportation – all presenting their visions of the future for the 19-member board that controls transportation spending statewide.

McMillan assured the state board that a "red-white-and-blue shield"  that designates an interstate highway would be "the best marketing tool I can get"  for attracting major manufacturers.

"If that red-white-and-blue shield is on the road so it's not 421, but it's Interstate "˜Whatever-it-is,' that helps me more than anything,"  he said.

The megasites involved would include PTI's aerospace center, the Greensboro-Randolph County project near Liberty, the Chatham Advanced Manufacturing site in Siler City and the Moncure Megasite in its namesake community in Chatham County.

An upgraded U.S. 421 would allow each site to claim ready access to the interstate system's vast reaches, something that large-scale manufacturers covet, McMillan said.

"We are in a very unique situation where you have within 60 miles four megasites,"  he said, adding that if one site landed a huge manufacturing complex the others could benefit by providing space for the big fish's suppliers.

The state transportation board's chairman, Mike Fox of Greensboro, did not take a position on McMillan's proposal, but he agreed afterward that U.S. 421 already has some features of an interstate highway that could make upgrading it less daunting than it might otherwise be.

In other action, the board unanimously adopted its multibillion dollar 2018-27 transportation improvement plan.

The group normally meets in Raleigh but gathered in Greensboro this week as part of an initiative to meet outside the capital occasionally to get a close-up look at transportation needs statewide.

Strider

Quote from: LM117 on August 03, 2017, 10:40:34 PM
Another new interstate possibly in the works? :hmm:

http://www.greensboro.com/business/is-there-a-megasite-highway-in-the-region-s-future/article_d3f6cdec-20ec-500f-a40c-050fe798d747.html

QuoteGREENSBORO – On a Thursday morning full of what-ifs, economic developer Jed McMillan asked the N.C. Board of Transportation to ponder a biggie.

How about another interstate corridor coming into the Gate City besides Interstates 40, 85 and 73 – this one known colloquially as the N.C. Megasite Corridor?

McMillan, a vice president of the Piedmont Triad Partnership economic development group, urged the board during its monthly meeting at the O. Henry Hotel to upgrade about 100 miles of U.S. 421 to a future interstate highway.

The aim would be to link four so-called megasites from Moncure along U.S. 1, just off the southeastern leg of the corridor, to Piedmont Triad International Airport on the northwest, he told the board.

"Obviously, we'd like to rename the corridor because we are talking about connecting I-95 and I-85,"  McMillan said. "We would like to have it designated as a future interstate corridor – I don't care if you call it I-885 or I-895."

The board took no action on McMillan's request, which came amid presentations by transportation planners from Greensboro, High Point, Burlington, Winston-Salem and the Piedmont Authority for Regional Transportation – all presenting their visions of the future for the 19-member board that controls transportation spending statewide.

McMillan assured the state board that a "red-white-and-blue shield"  that designates an interstate highway would be "the best marketing tool I can get"  for attracting major manufacturers.

"If that red-white-and-blue shield is on the road so it's not 421, but it's Interstate "˜Whatever-it-is,' that helps me more than anything,"  he said.

The megasites involved would include PTI's aerospace center, the Greensboro-Randolph County project near Liberty, the Chatham Advanced Manufacturing site in Siler City and the Moncure Megasite in its namesake community in Chatham County.

An upgraded U.S. 421 would allow each site to claim ready access to the interstate system's vast reaches, something that large-scale manufacturers covet, McMillan said.

"We are in a very unique situation where you have within 60 miles four megasites,"  he said, adding that if one site landed a huge manufacturing complex the others could benefit by providing space for the big fish's suppliers.

The state transportation board's chairman, Mike Fox of Greensboro, did not take a position on McMillan's proposal, but he agreed afterward that U.S. 421 already has some features of an interstate highway that could make upgrading it less daunting than it might otherwise be.

In other action, the board unanimously adopted its multibillion dollar 2018-27 transportation improvement plan.

The group normally meets in Raleigh but gathered in Greensboro this week as part of an initiative to meet outside the capital occasionally to get a close-up look at transportation needs statewide.

Yeah I saw the news.. It is crazy. They want a interstate to connect I-85 and I-95 by upgrading US 421... meaning that the corridor will be from Greensboro to Fayetteville. I am not sure we need another interstate heading from Greensboro going southeast... (for me, I-40/73/85/I-785/I-840 in Greensboro should be enough), but with NCDOT, I won't be surprised if it is being suggested and got approved, but what will the interstate number be?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.