Higher Speed Limits Considered in near Dallas Freeways

Started by dfwtbear, August 08, 2013, 11:36:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wxfree

Quote from: MaxConcrete on January 26, 2015, 07:15:06 PM
I'm pleased to see these changes, but some seem illogical to me.
Why is I-45 in south Dallas county (semi-rural) 65mph, but I-635 and US 75 Central Expressway 70 mph? If any freeway should be 65, it is Central Expressway due to the number of ramps and tight space.

Still, I'm not complaining. I-45 was 55 mph in south Dallas County until recently, and then 60 mph all the way to Corsicana.

That is interesting.  According to these tally sheets, at Loop 12 and north of US 175 the 85th percentile numbers are right around 70.
http://arencambre.com/txdotSpeedStudies/EPSON013.JPG
http://arencambre.com/txdotSpeedStudies/EPSON014.JPG

I've been there, but I'm not familiar enough with that stretch of road to know of geometrical or other challenges warranting a speed reduction below the 85th percentile.

Documents obtained from here: http://arencambre.com/blog/2014/04/10/txdot-dallas-district-to-keep-speed-trap-speed-limits/
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

dfwmapper

So if I'm reading this right, US 75 will be 70 in Dallas and Richardson, drop to 65 through Plano, then go back to 70 at the Allen city limits? I'm hoping there is some better sense applied to this like only going to 65 in Dallas/Richardson. I'm all for higher limits but cycling up and down is dumb, and the part of US 75 in Plano has way too many short merges and nasty weaving problems at the PGBT interchange. If it was increased to 70, it'll be right back before the TTC in a month asking for an emergency reduction.

wxfree

Quote from: dfwmapper on January 26, 2015, 09:38:10 PM
So if I'm reading this right, US 75 will be 70 in Dallas and Richardson, drop to 65 through Plano, then go back to 70 at the Allen city limits? I'm hoping there is some better sense applied to this like only going to 65 in Dallas/Richardson. I'm all for higher limits but cycling up and down is dumb, and the part of US 75 in Plano has way too many short merges and nasty weaving problems at the PGBT interchange. If it was increased to 70, it'll be right back before the TTC in a month asking for an emergency reduction.

That's the way I read it.  Speeds from Spur 359 to the Dallas County line are not changed in this minute order.  They may plan to study that area more, or to just leave it like it is.  The Fort Worth district was a little more conservative.  I feel good about all the increases on their side.  Some of the changes on the Dallas side seem a little optimistic.  In addition to LBJ and Central, already mentioned, they're raising the limit on a curvy stretch of I-35E near the zoo.  I always thought the speed there could stand to be a bit lower.

wxfree

This month's minute order fixes a problem addressed earlier, and implements another change that had been specified in the proposal but not enacted last month.  The speed limit will be 70 on US 75 from near Spur 366 to the beginning of the 75 mph speed zone.  Also, the proposal to increase the speed limit to 70 on Spur 408 and the freeway section of Loop 12 was left out last month, but included this month.  The map has been updated to reflect these changes.

http://www.patternsandprinciples.com/otherfiles/rs/postesl.jpg

Greybear

Didn't know if anyone was aware of it or not, but the new speed limits signs have been posted on parts of I-30 and I-635 in the Dallas Area.

On I-30, 65 MPH is now posted from just east of Fair Park in Dallas to just east of SH 205 in Rockwall. At that point, the speed limit jumps to 70 from there to the Hunt County line, where it jumps to 75.

On I-635, it is now posted at 70 from at least I-30 to the High Five. 

On US 75 south of the High Five towards downtown Dallas, the speed limit is still posted as 60 MPH.

That all I've been able to observe at the present time.

wxfree

I was just about to mention new signs, too.  I-35E has signs for 75 to Waxahachie, and then 70.  The freeway portion of US 67 is posted at 70 in Ellis County, and 65 in Dallas County (I only saw as far as I-20).  70 is posted on I-20 in Dallas County and Spur 408.  Those areas are in the Dallas district.  I've seen no changes in the part of the Fort Worth district I've been to.

dfwmapper

I didn't see any changes on US 75 between LBJ and the SRT the last few nights when I was driving on them, though I wasn't exactly paying attention to the signs either. I'll pay more attention when I drive up to Allen in a few days. They might hold off on any changes until the 2 big projects in Collin County are done.

Greybear

I thought that way about the speed limit changes on I-30 in Rockwall County since there is two projects underway at Fate and Royce City, but TxDOT still raised the limit from 65 to 70 through there.

wxfree

A minute order establishing a change in speed limit applies immediately, and it is required that it be acted upon as soon as practicable, unless that change is superseded by an existing order for a lower construction zone speed limit.

dfwmapper

I-35E is posted at 65 from the Dallas/Ellis county line all the way to downtown. I didn't notice where it dropped down, but it was at least as far as the I-30 split. It really needs to drop at about Illinois though, the curves in Oak Cliff are far too sharp to be safely taken at 65. US 75 is still posted at 60 from downtown to the Plano/Allen border.

wxfree

This month's minute order includes a little more.  The previously ordered increase to 65 along I-820 ended near US 377.  This month it was (will be) extended all the way to the turn south, and SH 121/183 will have a 65 mph speed limit from I-820 to where SH 121 splits.  From there, SH 183 will continue at 65 for nearly a mile to near FM 157.  These cover the main lanes that are paralleled by managed lanes (which have had speed limits set at 75).

That said, the Fort Worth district is years behind in posting new speed limits.  The increases to 75 on FM roads (ordered almost 2 years ago) have not been posted.  One increase to 75 ordered more than two years ago was not posted in February, the last time I went that way (US 67 west of Dublin).  Even emergency speed limit reductions are being neglected.  The minute orders are nice, but I wonder how long we'll be waiting for signs.

dfwmapper

US 75 is now posted at 70mph at least between LBJ and PGBT.

Heading eastbound, LBJ goes up to 70 right where you cross under Coit.

The work zones in Rockwall County are combined into one long 65mph zone, sandwiched in between short stretches of 70.

seanpatf

I happened to be southbound on U.S. 75 last Sunday, past LBJ. I had to do a double take, but at least to loop 12, it was posted at 70 m.p.h., where I exited.

Aren Cambre

Looks like you guys found my web site. Has anyone driven in Plano recently? Are the speed limits really at 60, or did they at least revert to 65? Since environmental speed limits were repealed, they should at least be 65, but it doesn't make sense to me why they wouldn't be 70 like the adjacent segments of US 75 in Richardson and Allen.

Aren Cambre

Quote from: Aren Cambre on May 27, 2015, 02:21:07 PM
Looks like you guys found my web site. Has anyone driven in Plano recently? Are the speed limits really at 60, or did they at least revert to 65? Since environmental speed limits were repealed, they should at least be 65, but it doesn't make sense to me why they wouldn't be 70 like the adjacent segments of US 75 in Richardson and Allen.
Just got the answer from TxDOT Dallas District: this speed trap is intentional as they are about to do some construction in Plano.

dfwmapper

Confirming, it's still posted at 60 northbound from a few feet north of where the 15th Street exit diverges to where it changes to 65 a bit north of exit 32A (formerly Frontage Rd, now the Bethany exit because of construction). Southbound it drops to 60 at the south end of the Rowlett Creek bridge, and goes up to 70 somewhere around Belt Line. Somehow there are no speed limit signs posted for several miles south of PGBT, which seems like a major oversight by TxDOT.

wxfree

Finally, there's news to report in the Fort Worth district.  According to a news article, the speed limit has been raised to 70 on I-20 in Arlington.  Presumably, that means they're out making the changes across the district.  There were changes already made along I-820 but I think that area is maintained by the private company that runs the toll lanes, not the Fort Worth district.  According to the article, the signs will be changed throughout this month.

Although it doesn't relate to this topic, I'll be in the area over the weekend and will check on the 75 mph speed limits on the FM roads near Granbury.  Those were ordered more than two years ago and were not changed as of last weekend.  Maybe while they're out changing signs they'll get around to those, too.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Speed-Limits-Increasing-on-North-Texas-Highways-311522481.html

wxfree

I can personally report that much of the Fort Worth side has the signs up.  I-35W from the south has a speed limit of 70 all the way to the construction zone near I-30, and I-20 signs have been changed to west of Fort Worth.  Two-lane roads around Cresson and Rio Vista also have the new signs.  A couple of places I know didn't have the new signs Tuesday, so they're very recent.  I didn't check the north side of the district.  It takes a while to get started, but once they start it seems to go pretty quickly.

Greybear

I was in Fort Worth on Thursday night and noticed that I-30 still had a speed limit posted at 60 mph from the Dallas County Line into downtown Fort Worth.

Aren Cambre

Quote from: wxfree on July 03, 2015, 05:33:11 PM
I can personally report that much of the Fort Worth side has the signs up.  I-35W from the south has a speed limit of 70 all the way to the construction zone near I-30, and I-20 signs have been changed to west of Fort Worth.  Two-lane roads around Cresson and Rio Vista also have the new signs.  A couple of places I know didn't have the new signs Tuesday, so they're very recent.  I didn't check the north side of the district.  It takes a while to get started, but once they start it seems to go pretty quickly.
I was on I-20 in Parker County last Saturday (June 27), and it was still 65 mph the whole way.

Aren Cambre

Quote from: Aren Cambre on July 04, 2015, 11:24:48 AM
Quote from: wxfree on July 03, 2015, 05:33:11 PM
I was on I-20 in Parker County last Saturday (June 27), and it was still 65 mph the whole way.
OK, just traversed it again. It's 70 mph in Parker County now, then 65 mph once I think you cross 820 on the west side. Not 100% sure about that; I'm shotgun and didn't see the sign. On the east side. it's 60 mph at least through Fielder Rd. (where we are about to pass). As I-30 was 60 mph in Dallas County last Saturday, and TxDOT Dallas District is already done with its speed limit changes, I doubt the 60 MPH speed (trap) limit on I-30 midcities is changed.

wxfree

The speed limit on I-20 is 70 from I-35W to at least Weatherford.  I haven't gone further east or west.  It's set to be changed to 70 all the way across the area from Parker County to Spur 557, and 75 east from there.

One of the earlier presentations to RTC suggested a possible speed limit of 65 on I-30 across nearly the whole area, minus the Canyon, but that was not included in the speed zone minute order.  I-30 will have a speed limit of 65 between I-820 and Hulen St. and east of Fair Park, and will stay at 60 in between.  A map showing the approved changes is here http://www.patternsandprinciples.com/otherfiles/rs/postesl.jpg

Yellow diamonds are 70, red diamonds are 65, and red lines are 75.

Note - My map could be wrong on I-635.  The control section numbers seem to have changed or are being shown incorrectly somewhere.  I can't tell if the 70 mph speed limit is west of I-35E or if it's between Preston Rd. (SH 289) and Garland Ave. (SH 78).

Edit - The map is now correct.

dfwmapper

When I was down there in mid-May, I-20 had already been bumped up to 70 from the Tarrant/Dallas county line all the way east to where FM 2578 crosses over in Terrell. 75 east of that.

I-30 in Dallas County has a bunch of construction happening for the HOV->HOT conversion and the Horseshoe project, so there may not be a change through there until after all of that is done.

Regarding your chart wxfree, I-635 changes eastbound where Coit crosses over, so that's where it is for now. Coit to SH 121 will need a new speed study once construction is completed, but that will almost certainly end up at 70 as well. I've personally confirmed that every other change on your chart in Dallas District has been posted, except SH 114 which was still 60 when I drove it in May. If anyone is over on that side and can take a look, I'm sure at least a few of us are curious. Maybe I'll go for a drive next week.

wxfree

Quote from: dfwmapper on July 05, 2015, 02:10:58 AM
When I was down there in mid-May, I-20 had already been bumped up to 70 from the Tarrant/Dallas county line all the way east to where FM 2578 crosses over in Terrell. 75 east of that.

I-30 in Dallas County has a bunch of construction happening for the HOV->HOT conversion and the Horseshoe project, so there may not be a change through there until after all of that is done.

Regarding your chart wxfree, I-635 changes eastbound where Coit crosses over, so that's where it is for now. Coit to SH 121 will need a new speed study once construction is completed, but that will almost certainly end up at 70 as well. I've personally confirmed that every other change on your chart in Dallas District has been posted, except SH 114 which was still 60 when I drove it in May. If anyone is over on that side and can take a look, I'm sure at least a few of us are curious. Maybe I'll go for a drive next week.

There isn't a change on SH 114.  (I think I remember a change somewhere around there, probably due to the end of construction, but it isn't associated with the ESL cancellations and wasn't mapped.)  The yellow markers are along the west end of I-635, which was one of my guesses when I was trying to figure out the control section confusion.  The map is now changed to show the conditions on the road.

Edit - It bothers me when I can't remember something.  I looked back through the minute orders and found that in February 2014 a minute order established a speed limit of 65 on SH 114 through Grapevine and Southlake.  This coincided with the completion of the rebuild.  The speed limit before wasn't high enough to warrant the environmental reduction.  There was a change in the area, but in Tarrant County and not related to ESL cancellation.

dfwmapper

I went for a drive today, and noticed that I-635 is now posted at 65 between PGBT and SH 121. Given how wide open that part of LBJ is and how fast everyone drives, I would have expected it to be 70, but apparently not.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.