News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-73 & I-74 in S.C.

Started by Grzrd, October 23, 2013, 09:39:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wriddle082

If they're really insistent about an interstate going from Wilmington to Myrtle Beach and Charleston, they should designate an I-18 to roughly parallel US 17 between those cities.  Just let I-74 end at Wilmington.

The Nature Boy

Quote from: wriddle082 on June 29, 2017, 06:16:09 PM
If they're really insistent about an interstate going from Wilmington to Myrtle Beach and Charleston, they should designate an I-18 to roughly parallel US 17 between those cities.  Just let I-74 end at Wilmington.

I-18 belongs on the West Coast and would be an east-west interstate.

A US 17 corridor interstate would ideally be I-97 or 99 but that can't happen because of reasons.

sparker

Quote from: The Nature Boy on June 29, 2017, 06:59:55 PM

A US 17 corridor interstate would ideally be I-97 or 99 but that can't happen because of reasons.

I-18?  Where on the West Coast; an L.A. outer desert-based bypass?  That number, as the I-14 scenario has shown, could show up anywhere between Georgia and Texas as well.  A 2nd/southern section of I-97 wouldn't be completely awful; at least there's a miniscule chance of it ever connecting to the existing I-97 in MD.  I'd leave 99 alone; it's got enough problems without a southern clone!

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on April 20, 2017, 01:15:35 PM
Quote from: Grzrd on April 12, 2015, 12:42:45 PM
This article
Trump said Myrtle Beach has a bright future but needs to improve access to the area, specifically by building I-73.
This TV video quotes South Carolina U.S. Senator Lindsey Graham as saying that, if Trump's infrastructure plan is at a minimum of $400 billion - $500 billion, he will vote against it unless it contains $1 billion for I-73

This June 27 article reports that Graham and U.S. Rep. Tom Rice recently directly lobbied Elaine Chao for I-73 funding:

Two South Carolina congressmen are asking top federal transportation officials for help finding money to build a new interstate to the coast.
U.S. Rep. Tom Rice and U.S. Sen. Lindsey Graham met Tuesday with Department of Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao to discuss potential federal funding for Interstate 73.
The Army Corps of Engineers approved a permit last week to build an 80-mile (130-kilometer) interstate to Myrtle Beach.
But turning the decades-long proposal into reality requires money, and state officials promise funding won't come from state taxes.
The 42-mile (70-kilometer) section that's the priority of proponents is expected to cost more than $1 billion. State transportation officials say less than $50 million remains from prior earmarks.
Rice says it was crucial to make their case to Chao directly.

If the infrastructure bill comes to fruition, then I-73 in South Carolina has a good chance of finally getting started.

sparker

Looks like the portion of I-73 from I-95 to Myrtle Beach has passed environmental review:

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2017-08-01/html/2017-16140.htm

Apparently the segment from I-95 NW to I-74 near Hamlet, NC is presently undergoing a similar review process, with the outcome TBD.

Henry

Quote from: sparker on June 29, 2017, 08:22:23 PM
Quote from: The Nature Boy on June 29, 2017, 06:59:55 PM

I-18?  Where on the West Coast; an L.A. outer desert-based bypass?  That number, as the I-14 scenario has shown, could show up anywhere between Georgia and Texas as well.  A 2nd/southern section of I-97 wouldn't be completely awful; at least there's a miniscule chance of it ever connecting to the existing I-97 in MD.  I'd leave 99 alone; it's got enough problems without a southern clone!
Besides, I-28 is not in use yet! Since there's already an I-20 and an I-26 within the state, that number would make a lot of sense. IMHO, I-97 should've gone to the section of I-40 that runs from Raleigh/Durham to Wilmington, and I designated it as such back in the day, with I-40 turning on what will be I-42 and following that to New Bern. The MD I-97 would simply be an extension of either I-70 or I-83 after their failures to be completed inside Baltimore, and I-99 would be a coastal alternative to I-95, going from Savannah to New York. Guess we'll never know that now...
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

LM117

Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce CEO Brad Dean met with Trump to discuss funding for I-73.

http://m.wmbfnews.com/wmbfnews/db_330822/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=U9bhOFwE

QuoteIt's taken decades to work on getting the Interstate 73 permit and now the federal government is saying the road can finally be constructed.

The question now is how to fund it.

Local organizations such as the Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce want to help push it forward. The I-73 permit was issued back in June and not much has been done to construct the southern part linking S.C. 22 and Interstate 95, leading MBACC president and CEO Brad Dean to say some people thought the project was at a standstill.

Dean had the chance to discuss the project with President Donald Trump face-to-face for the first time on Monday, during the president's stop in Greenville.

The southern portion would cost nearly $1.4 billion and Dean said Trump is supportive.

"Now that President Trump is in office, he is talking about an infrastructure package unlike any that we have ever seen. It's a $1 trillion proposal, so it opens up the potential for projects like I-73," Dean said. "When candidate Trump came through, he said he wanted to build I-73. Now we need to position this as a priority for President Trump and make it a reality soon."

Though the project is a plus for tourism, Dean said I-73 represents more than just an increase in tourism.

"It's about creating higher-paying jobs throughout our region," he said. "Economists are estimating 7,000 jobs during construction and 22,000 after construction and that could be an economic explosion for the Grand Strand and Pee Dee."

On Friday morning, Congressman Tom Rice took a helicopter flyover with a representative from California who sits on the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, the committee that will help craft the infrastructure package.

"Here in South Carolina, we know I-73 is an important priority, but there are 49 other states with lots of legislators that aren't familiar with that. What Congressman Rice has done in bringing people like Rep. Denham and Rep. Walker to the Grand Strand is to not only talk about building roads but actually see the routes," Dean said.

It will hopefully become a reality soon.

"Horry County has stepped forward with a commitment for the local community and the tolling study has been done by DOT and they'll have to further expand that,"  Dean said.

President Trump told Dean he hopes to break ground on I-73 during his presidency, so Dean said he is hopeful Congress will pass the funding.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

ARMOURERERIC

Right now the labor market is so tight in Columbia, that fast food and low level retail chains are busing in crew from as far away as Tampa to staff for weeks at a time in Hotel rooms rather than god forbid, raise pay scales.  I wonder how many of these jobs will actually go to residents of SC

sparker

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on October 25, 2017, 08:22:55 PM
Right now the labor market is so tight in Columbia, that fast food and low level retail chains are busing in crew from as far away as Tampa to staff for weeks at a time in Hotel rooms rather than god forbid, raise pay scales.  I wonder how many of these jobs will actually go to residents of SC

Absolutely spot-on; corporate management in fungible-worker fields such as you describe functionally collude to maintain low wages (which they can readily do in some states, particularly in the "Deep South").  The last thing they want to see is one or another firm within their ranks breaking precedent and offer even marginally higher pay rates for fear that workers across the field will get wind of such and press for the like; they'd rather spend the money on non-wage expenses that can be easily hidden in their yearlies. 

LM117

The mayor of Dillon, Todd Davis, wrote an op-ed about his opposition to I-73.

http://www.scnow.com/opinion/columns/article_1099619e-bf5d-11e7-8191-3b9d2944a107.html

QuoteIt's no secret that I am an outspoken advocate for creating a thriving downtown in Dillon.

Our city is poised for both an economic surge and a big boost in the quality of life for families. The planned inland port will bring jobs and prosperity. At the same time, a redevelopment of our historic downtown hopefully will breathe new life into the city.

Our efforts to improve downtown electrical service and to plant attractive landscaping are vital in bringing in new retail stores. We're providing matching funds for businesses to improve their historic facades. Dillon is moving aggressively to fill the empty storefronts with retailers and restaurants that will make our downtown a destination once again.

We've worked hard to keep our golf course in shape and even harder to make our wellness center a vital part of life here.

And finally, we're pushing for both a hotel and new apartments in downtown to bring back to the district what it once had: a vibrant population of neighbors and visitors who, in turn, spend the kind of money we need to keep moving forward.

With all of this on Dillon's horizon, it is not the time to support any effort that jeopardizes our future.

That's why I am opposed to plans pushed by the Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce to build Interstate 73 and connect it to I-95. There is no purpose for this interstate other than to funnel travelers and their wallets directly to Myrtle Beach and bypass so many of the local communities — Dillon, Latta, Sellers — that rely on visitors' dollars to meet our budgets.

If I-73 becomes a reality, Dillon businesses along U.S. 301 and Radford Boulevard will take a hit. That means less tax money to continue the improvements we've worked on so diligently. It would mean a step back, just as we're moving forward. I would doubt the new Cookout restaurant would be planting off Radford Boulevard right now if company officials knew traffic would be diverted miles from their location.

For obvious reasons, Myrtle Beach businesses have latched onto a prohibitively expensive, decades-old plan for I-73 that most other states have long abandoned. The I-73 proposal for South Carolina is expected to cost anywhere between $2 billion and $4 billion, depending on the length of the pavement. The only plan to pay for it so far is an extension of taxes, plus tolls.

Myrtle Beach business leaders are refusing to consider a better solution only because it won't have a shiny "interstate"  designation.

What the Dillon Town Council supports — and what our Chamber of Commerce supports — is a more efficient and more economical plan to widen existing routes S.C. 38 and U.S. 501 to highway standards. That could meet the same objective, at a fraction of the cost.

That plan, called the "Grand Strand Expressway,"  also supports enhancements to S.C. 9 as part of what the experts call a "well-connected multi-lane highway network"  that would be a winning proposal for everyone.

This solution delivers visitors to the coast quickly and efficiently, and without strangling the economies of small cities and towns along the way.

The economies of South Carolina and of Dillon have come a long way in the past few years, but not far enough to spend billions of dollars on an unneeded interstate, and certainly not far enough that the businesses in Dillon could absorb a hit.

So for the sake of cities like Dillon, I will vigorously oppose any efforts to build I-73. And I will wholeheartedly support all efforts to keep our economy moving forward with innovative solutions like the "Grand Strand Expressway."

I could not be more proud of what Dillon's committed citizens, businesses and civic leaders have done to begin restoring this gem of a city. There is a lot more in store for us. I'm going to work every day to make sure our progress isn't thwarted and our citizens aren't shortchanged.

Dillon deserves a voice in South Carolina's transportation future. The "Grand Strand Expressway"  solution is one that must be considered.

wdcrft63

Quote from: LM117 on November 12, 2017, 03:36:27 PM
The mayor of Dillon, Todd Davis, wrote an op-ed about his opposition to I-73.

http://www.scnow.com/opinion/columns/article_1099619e-bf5d-11e7-8191-3b9d2944a107.html

QuoteIt's no secret that I am an outspoken advocate for creating a thriving downtown in Dillon.

Our city is poised for both an economic surge and a big boost in the quality of life for families. The planned inland port will bring jobs and prosperity. At the same time, a redevelopment of our historic downtown hopefully will breathe new life into the city.

Our efforts to improve downtown electrical service and to plant attractive landscaping are vital in bringing in new retail stores. We're providing matching funds for businesses to improve their historic facades. Dillon is moving aggressively to fill the empty storefronts with retailers and restaurants that will make our downtown a destination once again.

We've worked hard to keep our golf course in shape and even harder to make our wellness center a vital part of life here.

And finally, we're pushing for both a hotel and new apartments in downtown to bring back to the district what it once had: a vibrant population of neighbors and visitors who, in turn, spend the kind of money we need to keep moving forward.

With all of this on Dillon's horizon, it is not the time to support any effort that jeopardizes our future.

That's why I am opposed to plans pushed by the Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce to build Interstate 73 and connect it to I-95. There is no purpose for this interstate other than to funnel travelers and their wallets directly to Myrtle Beach and bypass so many of the local communities — Dillon, Latta, Sellers — that rely on visitors' dollars to meet our budgets.

If I-73 becomes a reality, Dillon businesses along U.S. 301 and Radford Boulevard will take a hit. That means less tax money to continue the improvements we've worked on so diligently. It would mean a step back, just as we're moving forward. I would doubt the new Cookout restaurant would be planting off Radford Boulevard right now if company officials knew traffic would be diverted miles from their location.

For obvious reasons, Myrtle Beach businesses have latched onto a prohibitively expensive, decades-old plan for I-73 that most other states have long abandoned. The I-73 proposal for South Carolina is expected to cost anywhere between $2 billion and $4 billion, depending on the length of the pavement. The only plan to pay for it so far is an extension of taxes, plus tolls.

Myrtle Beach business leaders are refusing to consider a better solution only because it won't have a shiny "interstate"  designation.

What the Dillon Town Council supports — and what our Chamber of Commerce supports — is a more efficient and more economical plan to widen existing routes S.C. 38 and U.S. 501 to highway standards. That could meet the same objective, at a fraction of the cost.

That plan, called the "Grand Strand Expressway,"  also supports enhancements to S.C. 9 as part of what the experts call a "well-connected multi-lane highway network"  that would be a winning proposal for everyone.

This solution delivers visitors to the coast quickly and efficiently, and without strangling the economies of small cities and towns along the way.

The economies of South Carolina and of Dillon have come a long way in the past few years, but not far enough to spend billions of dollars on an unneeded interstate, and certainly not far enough that the businesses in Dillon could absorb a hit.

So for the sake of cities like Dillon, I will vigorously oppose any efforts to build I-73. And I will wholeheartedly support all efforts to keep our economy moving forward with innovative solutions like the "Grand Strand Expressway."

I could not be more proud of what Dillon's committed citizens, businesses and civic leaders have done to begin restoring this gem of a city. There is a lot more in store for us. I'm going to work every day to make sure our progress isn't thwarted and our citizens aren't shortchanged.

Dillon deserves a voice in South Carolina's transportation future. The "Grand Strand Expressway"  solution is one that must be considered.
Towns that would be bypassed always oppose a new expressway. No surprise. I can't blame them.

Beltway

Quote from: wdcrft63 on November 12, 2017, 06:23:39 PM
[op-ed]

Towns that would be bypassed always oppose a new expressway. No surprise. I can't blame them.

Sounds like Whoville, VA, "We've got our Interstate highway, so phooey on the proposal to build a full US-29 bypass to help that corridor".
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

sparker

Quote from: Beltway on November 12, 2017, 08:46:49 PM
Quote from: wdcrft63 on November 12, 2017, 06:23:39 PM
[op-ed]

Sounds like Whoville, VA, "We've got our Interstate highway, so phooey on the proposal to build a full US-29 bypass to help that corridor".

The most efficient way from I-95 to Myrtle Beach is from the SC 38 interchange and then onto US 501 around Marion en route to the beach.  Even though it's right on US 501 within that route's multiplex with US 301, travelers along I-95 generally don't choose to slog through Dillon and Latta on their way to the beach; they want to get to the shore with as few obstacles as possible.  I-73 for all intents & purposes follows the presently used path -- neither of which directly involves Dillon.  The mayor's entreaties sound like an attempt to divert funds to their pet project to redirect traffic away from the SC 38 routing and back onto US 501 (or even SC 9, which also goes right through Dillon).  But regardless of whether the current SC 38 alignment or a future I-73 is utilized, it's likely Dillon (and the other towns in the vicinity) will still be bypassed by folks not willing to take the extra time required to go through the local towns. 

I can't blame them for trying, though -- as Mayor Davis states, they lost a lot of business to I-95 decades ago, and are obviously trying to lure some of it back.  But stopping I-73 won't accomplish that; they'll have to do that themselves by making what they have to offer seem attractive enough to offset the difference in travel time to and from the primary regional destination along the coast.       

LM117

A lawsuit has been filed by the Coastal Conservation league.

http://www.scnow.com/news/local/article_47bafce8-e5e4-11e7-a760-33353436d1fa.html

QuoteA Charleston environmental group has filed a lawsuit challenging the federal government's stamp of approval to construct Interstate 73 all the way to Myrtle Beach, arguing that a less costly alternative should first be considered.

The Coastal Conservation League (CCL) says building a Grand Strand Expressway (GSX) by upgrading the current route along U.S. 501 would save taxpayers $2 billion.

The estimated cost to build the interstate is $2.4 billion. The league did not state how much money it would cost to upgrade the current route to handle upwards of 30,000 vehicles a day, except to estimate it at one-tenth of the cost.

Not only would the environment be protected, but so would businesses along the current route, the group argued.

"An interstate that bypasses the region would be devastating to this business and dozens of others,"  said Alex Small, manager of Sparky's, a fireworks store and iconic tourist attraction on U.S. 501. "Our livelihood and the paychecks of the local workers we hire depend on attracting travelers passing through. Losing that steady stream of visitors would be a significant setback."

The lawsuit, filed Tuesday, essentially asks the federal court to require that the environmentalists' alternative be considered before construction proceeds. It argues that an interstate constructed several miles away from the current route would rob the rest of the state from possibly obtaining federal tax dollars.

"This is about giving all of the people of South Carolina a voice and a choice,"  said Erin Pate Pate, a spokeswoman for the league. "We support the Myrtle Beach tourism economy. The GSX would get tourists to Myrtle Beach faster and cheaper than I-73, which will take at least a decade to build."

Supporters of building the interstate to Myrtle Beach, including U.S. Rep. Tom Rice, say the interstate project is a shovel-ready project that already meets federal requirements to obtain funding.

Brad Dean, president and chief executive officer of the Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce, said the chamber is disappointed that this same group that blocked construction of International Drive through the courts was pursuing another legal challenge to block road construction.

Dean said the action also contradicts an earlier pledge by the environmental group that it would not block interstate construction as long as it is located north of U.S. 501.

"Like they did with International Drive, the CCL ignores the needs of the region by pushing its self-serving agenda with no regard for the economic growth, job creation and enhanced safety Interstate 73 will bring,"  Dean said.

"Interstate 73 is too important to our community to back down, so we will continue our efforts to make Interstate 73 our pathway of progress, in spite of this ridiculous legal challenge."

Mapmikey

I'm a little fuzzy on how US 501 businesses will be impacted since the SC 22 freeway already exists from west of Conway to US 17 and would be part of I-73...

The Ghostbuster

What would the right-of-way impacts of upgrading US 501 compared to building a new Interstate 73 alignment be? And would it really save that much money?

wdcrft63

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on December 22, 2017, 05:24:06 PM
What would the right-of-way impacts of upgrading US 501 compared to building a new Interstate 73 alignment be? And would it really save that much money?

I'm afraid that what the GSX people have in mind is a "smart street" like that stretch of US 17 south coming out of Wilmington (now bypassed, thank goodness, by the new I-140). That would be a really, really bad idea.

LM117

The state House is considering a tolling bill to pay for I-73.

http://m.wmbfnews.com/story/37746690/leaders-say-bill-is-important-part-of-moving-i-73-forward

QuoteToll funding for I-73 could depend on whether a bill in the South Carolina House gets passed, according to former chair of the SCDOT Mike Wooten.

Wooten said in order for the state to legally charge tolls on that route, this bill in the House needs to pass.

"It would be impossible for us to build I-73 we believe without having a toll component,"  said Rep. Alan Clemmons. This piece of legislation would allow for SC 22 to become part of I-73 once it's built and be tolled as well.

"Not being apart of the interstate highway, that portion of the interstate could not be apart of a toll system,"  said Clemmons.

The South Carolina Trucking Association testified against this bill, but they said they are not opposed to the I-73 project itself. "Because I-73 is the mainline corridor, not SC 22. But the mainline, new greenfield part of I-73.. tolling that, we do not have a problem with it," said President of the SCTA Rick Todd.

He said the reason truck companies are not in favor of tolls is because there are so many other fees they have to pay. "Businesses that operate trucks oppose tolling because commercial vehicles by and large already pay a fuel tax, a registration fee and a property tax apportioned to every state they run in,"  said Todd.

Clemmons said some concerns that were brought up had to do with this bill leading to the tolling of other roads in the state.

Wooten said the bill has since been rewritten to respond to those concerns heard during the testimony, it just hasn't been reintroduced yet.

"The current bill, in its current form is pending before the committee specifies that only those roads that have been built to interstate standards since 1998,"  said Clemmons. He said in the state of South Carolina, SC 22 and SC 31 are the only roadways that all under those standards, and SC 31 is not being considered as part of I-73 tolling.

Todd said the trucking association isn't opposed to getting I-73 done, they just want to make sure they're asking questions.

Without I-73 we'll never be able to broaden our tourism economy to a manufacturing economy, which is a long-term goal for the area, according to Clemmons.

wdcrft63

I would be glad to see I-73 built to Myrtle Beach. But if it's a toll road, I would expect a lot heavier traffic going to MB via I-40 and US 17.

LM117

Quote from: wdcrft63 on March 23, 2018, 06:48:03 PM
I would be glad to see I-73 built to Myrtle Beach. But if it's a toll road, I would expect a lot heavier traffic going to MB via I-40 and US 17.

I agree that if I-73 is tolled, it will most likely be shunpiked. However, I would argue that traffic on I-40 & US-17 will get heavier beginning as soon as this summer, now that I-140 around Wilmington is finally complete. This will also mean heavier traffic on the I-795/US-117 corridor between Wilson and Faison.

Given that I-795's new alignment in Goldsboro has not been built yet, the two interchange projects on US-117 near Mount Olive currently underway, and the recent increase in truck traffic due to the Enviva plant next to the I-40 interchange (Exit 355), this should make US-117 real interesting this summer...

sparker

Quote from: LM117 on March 23, 2018, 10:06:23 PM
Quote from: wdcrft63 on March 23, 2018, 06:48:03 PM

I agree that if I-73 is tolled, it will most likely be shunpiked. However, I would argue that traffic on I-40 & US-17 will get heavier beginning as soon as this summer, now that I-140 around Wilmington is finally complete. This will also mean heavier traffic on the I-795/US-117 corridor between Wilson and Faison.

Given that I-795's new alignment in Goldsboro has not been built yet, the two interchange projects on US-117 near Mount Olive currently underway, and the recent increase in truck traffic due to the Enviva plant next to the I-40 interchange (Exit 355), this should make US-117 real interesting this summer...

If NC proceeds steadily with the extension of I-74 along US 74 toward Wilmington, that route would likely also serve as a "shunpiking" choice.  Ironically, the much-derided NC 211 "swamp" proposed I-74 portion, built out or not, may see additional traffic as a shunt between the "74" corridor and the Myrtle Beach area, along with the mostly parallel NC 410 and/or US 701.  Those 2-lane connectors might eventually be packed on summer weekends by thrifty folks heading to & from the Strand -- prompting a freeway build-out of NC 211/I-74 or an alternative TBD; this particular scenario might be the only way the I-74 segment along 211 ever gets built (and the irony continues!). 

WashuOtaku

Quote from: sparker on March 24, 2018, 03:51:39 AM
If NC proceeds steadily with the extension of I-74 along US 74 toward Wilmington, that route would likely also serve as a "shunpiking" choice.  Ironically, the much-derided NC 211 "swamp" proposed I-74 portion, built out or not, may see additional traffic as a shunt between the "74" corridor and the Myrtle Beach area, along with the mostly parallel NC 410 and/or US 701.  Those 2-lane connectors might eventually be packed on summer weekends by thrifty folks heading to & from the Strand -- prompting a freeway build-out of NC 211/I-74 or an alternative TBD; this particular scenario might be the only way the I-74 segment along 211 ever gets built (and the irony continues!).

And that's fine. As more people live on the coast and people visiting it, there needs to be more roads to handle them all when they need to get the hell out of there when a Hurricane comes.

wdcrft63

Quote from: sparker on March 24, 2018, 03:51:39 AM

If you're EB on US 74, the best route to Myrtle Beach is via NC 410/US 701/SC 9. This is much shorter than going to Wilmington or NC 211. I used this route for years before I-40 was completed.

sprjus4

Quote from: LM117 on March 19, 2018, 07:12:11 AM
The state House is considering a tolling bill to pay for I-73.

http://m.wmbfnews.com/story/37746690/leaders-say-bill-is-important-part-of-moving-i-73-forward

QuoteToll funding for I-73 could depend on whether a bill in the South Carolina House gets passed, according to former chair of the SCDOT Mike Wooten.

Wooten said in order for the state to legally charge tolls on that route, this bill in the House needs to pass.

"It would be impossible for us to build I-73 we believe without having a toll component,"  said Rep. Alan Clemmons. This piece of legislation would allow for SC 22 to become part of I-73 once it's built and be tolled as well.

"Not being apart of the interstate highway, that portion of the interstate could not be apart of a toll system,"  said Clemmons.

The South Carolina Trucking Association testified against this bill, but they said they are not opposed to the I-73 project itself. "Because I-73 is the mainline corridor, not SC 22. But the mainline, new greenfield part of I-73.. tolling that, we do not have a problem with it," said President of the SCTA Rick Todd.

He said the reason truck companies are not in favor of tolls is because there are so many other fees they have to pay. "Businesses that operate trucks oppose tolling because commercial vehicles by and large already pay a fuel tax, a registration fee and a property tax apportioned to every state they run in,"  said Todd.

Clemmons said some concerns that were brought up had to do with this bill leading to the tolling of other roads in the state.

Wooten said the bill has since been rewritten to respond to those concerns heard during the testimony, it just hasn't been reintroduced yet.

"The current bill, in its current form is pending before the committee specifies that only those roads that have been built to interstate standards since 1998,"  said Clemmons. He said in the state of South Carolina, SC 22 and SC 31 are the only roadways that all under those standards, and SC 31 is not being considered as part of I-73 tolling.

Todd said the trucking association isn't opposed to getting I-73 done, they just want to make sure they're asking questions.

Without I-73 we'll never be able to broaden our tourism economy to a manufacturing economy, which is a long-term goal for the area, according to Clemmons.

Whatever happened to the policy, the federal government would provide 90% of funding and the state provides the rest, for the interstate system. Nowadays, if we want to build a new interstate, even as little as 200 miles long, it either has to be tolled, or built over 15-25+ years. Back in the day, the system was unveiled, the government funded it, and 20+ years later, we have 1,000+ mile interstates completed, with no tolling (except on previous turnpikes). If this interstate was one of the original ones, it most likely would've been done in 20 years from Michigan to Myrtle Beach, no tolls.

Mapmikey

The laws that created the 90-10 formula and the late 1960s additions with same had mileage ceilings which have been reached.

The 1968 additional mileage law had far more requests from the states than the ~1000 miles that were ultimately funded that way.  Thus, states that wanted to build these extra miles of interstate beyond the 1968 mileage cap had to foot the whole bill.

It would require new congressional action to have another 90-10 (or any other fraction) split.  Note Congress could do this as a blanket mileage thing or even on a specific project - I-95 (now I-395) in the area of the Pentagon was funded at a 95-5 ratio by specific congressional action so that Virginia would take over this highway from the Bureau of Public Roads which built the roads in the vicinity of the Pentagon originally in the 1940s.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.