Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tckma

Quote from: upstatenyroads on September 19, 2017, 09:01:38 PM
This one was always fun.

Replaced long ago.

No, that's wrong.  It's a weird quirk of NYS law; if the speed limit is not posted, it's 55.  Ergo "State Speed Limit 55" is only saying the default speed limit is what they chose.  I learned to drive in NYS in 1994-1996 -- after rural insterstates in NY got bumped up to 65 -- and that was what they said in the driver's manual.  "STATE SPEED LIMIT" should only appear on signage if it's followed by the number 55.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: tckma on September 20, 2017, 02:05:21 PM
This one was always fun.

Replaced long ago.

No, that's wrong.  It's a weird quirk of NYS law; if the speed limit is not posted, it's 55.  Ergo "State Speed Limit 55" is only saying the default speed limit is what they chose.  I learned to drive in NYS in 1994-1996 -- after rural insterstates in NY got bumped up to 65 -- and that was what they said in the driver's manual.  "STATE SPEED LIMIT" should only appear on signage if it's followed by the number 55.
That photo could be photoshopped.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

machias

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on September 20, 2017, 10:20:29 PM
This one was always fun.

Replaced long ago.

Totally not photoshopped. I took the photo back in 2003. It was on I-81 SB just south of Exit 35. I sent the photo into NYSDOT R3 and they replaced the sign within a week.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: upstatenyroads on September 20, 2017, 10:51:38 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on September 20, 2017, 10:20:29 PM
This one was always fun.

Replaced long ago.

Totally not photoshopped. I took the photo back in 2003. It was on I-81 SB just south of Exit 35. I sent the photo into NYSDOT R3 and they replaced the sign within a week.
sorry
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

tckma

Sounds delicious!

Kidding aside, I have ONLY ever seen these signs in Pennsylvania.  What the HECK does "Fresh Oil and Chips" mean, anyway?

csw

SectorZ

Quote from: tckma on September 25, 2017, 11:49:56 AM
Sounds delicious!

Kidding aside, I have ONLY ever seen these signs in Pennsylvania.  What the HECK does "Fresh Oil and Chips" mean, anyway?

It sounds like a tasty British treat.

Ian

Quote from: csw on September 25, 2017, 12:00:20 PM
My guess is they just got done with a chip & seal job

You're correct. PennDOT loves to tar and chip rural low-volume roads and put these signs up post-construction. The process involves covering the road surface in asphalt sealer, then covering it with chipped stone, rolling over them, then finally sweeping off the excess aggregate. Unfortunately, it does not go well with tartar sauce...
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

J N Winkler

The oil in question is the binder.  I don't know if it is actually in the MUTCD (other than implicitly through the carve-out for custom word-message warning and regulatory signs), but many state DOTs sign for just "Fresh Oil."  For cars it is the chips that are really the hazard, though states like TxDOT that use chipseal on high-speed roads have specs that call for the chips to be rolled in and then swept up immediately afterward so that it is not necessary to impose a 20 mph speed limit to accommodate loose chips.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

D-Dey65

Quote from: csw on September 16, 2017, 07:15:20 PM
There are tons of CHURCH signs in the midwest.
They have them in other parts of the country too, like in New York.

If you're ever in Medford, New York on Middle Island Road, you used to find them within the vicinity of Mount Olive Baptist Church. You'll also find long lines of cars parked along the side that end up blocking regular traffic. Back in the day, there was a plan to add a housing complex nearby (specifically the "Medford Pond Luxury Apartments"), and most of my neighbors were against it because they thought it would attract drug-addicted minorities. I was against it because I thought the lot would've been better suited for a parking lot for that church.

Sorry for going OT, but I thought I should mention it since the subject was briefly Church signs.

Getting back to the topic, how common are those "Overheight Vehicle Detour" warning signs, like you used to see on I-95 in Lumberton, but still see south of Dunn?

http://aaroads.com/southeast/north_carolina095/thb/i-095_nb_exit_017_21.jpg

cjk374

Quote from: J N Winkler on September 26, 2017, 10:58:47 AM
The oil in question is the binder.  I don't know if it is actually in the MUTCD (other than implicitly through the carve-out for custom word-message warning and regulatory signs), but many state DOTs sign for just "Fresh Oil."  For cars it is the chips that are really the hazard, though states like TxDOT that use chipseal on high-speed roads have specs that call for the chips to be rolled in and then swept up immediately afterward so that it is not necessary to impose a 20 mph speed limit to accommodate loose chips.

Many Louisiana parish highway departments leave the loose rocks on the road with no sweeping and leave the "fresh oil" and "loose gravel" signs up for months.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

jakeroot

I have never seen a chipseal warning sign (at least until this thread), nor a lower post-chipseal speed limit.

I don't see why you need a warning for oil. The chips are the annoying bit.

formulanone

Quote from: jakeroot on September 26, 2017, 03:54:41 PM
I don't see why you need a warning for oil.

I'm guessing the road surface gets a bit more slippery when wet; at least until the excess oil spreads out or disperses.

jakeroot

Quote from: formulanone on September 26, 2017, 04:37:36 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on September 26, 2017, 03:54:41 PM
I don't see why you need a warning for oil.

I'm guessing the road surface gets a bit more slippery when wet; at least until the excess oil spreads out or disperses.

You'd think the chips would provide enough traction to offset the slippery nature of the oil, but maybe not.

thenetwork

I think the FRESH OIL signs are for the road departments to legally protect them from anyone who may track tar and or oil onto the fenders, (etal) of their cars and want to sue for damages or for the cost of getting it off.

My area corner of Colorado usually will chip-seal a newly paved road about 1-3 years after the asphalt was applied, let the loose gravel get packed into the seal for 24-48 hours, suck up the remainder of the loose gravel, then add a coating of "fog-seal" (liquid asphalt ??) on top of the chip-seal.  Apparently, this extends the life of the roadway to around 10-12 years before they even consider to resurface the road again.

Generally I get pissed when they add "friction" to a recently paved road, but you get used to it.

paulthemapguy

I am CURRENTLY RIGHT NOW supervising a paving job using prime oil.  It's an asphalt emulsion used to adhere the new layer of pavement to the existing payment, like glue.  It's sticky and impossible to get off of stuff, so when people drive through it, it sticks to the car and messes it up, although only cosmetically.  You wouldn't believe the number of complaints we get.  That's why we put up the signs.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

jakeroot

Is an asphalt layer usually applied over top the chipseal? In my area, that seems to be rare. Most chipseal jobs are left as-is once finished.

Compare this street view of a road that was just chipsealed: https://goo.gl/bt2dHV

...to this street view three years later: https://goo.gl/RzsCga

The intersection, and several others, were covered in asphalt, but nothing else.

J N Winkler

Chipseal is normally supposed to be the top layer.  This webpage highlights a couple of problems that can occur with chipseal--bleeding (typically due to insufficient curing) when new, and flushing when old.

http://kleencoconstruction.com/news/identify-bleeding-flushing-asphalt/

The newer StreetView from Washington state appears to show flushing, which doesn't usually disturb the seal but compromises skid resistance.

And yes, you generally don't want asphalt emulsion of any kind on the exterior paint of a vehicle you care about--there is a reason detailers have bug and tar remover in their arsenals.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

formulanone

Bad curve?

Found on Rhode Island 117 near Washington, RI:

hbelkins

When pavement preservation projects go awry...

http://www.wymt.com/content/news/Vehicles-previously-coated-in-tar-now-being-cleaned-448325163.html

Some sort of chip seal work was being done here. Not sure if this was chip seal, slurry seal, cape seal or what type of work was underway.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: formulanone on September 27, 2017, 07:19:20 PM
Bad curve?

Clearly the curve hung-out with the wrong crowd when growing up! :-D
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: hbelkins on September 27, 2017, 09:48:36 PM

http://www.wymt.com/content/news/Vehicles-previously-coated-in-tar-now-being-cleaned-448325163.html

Some sort of chip seal work was being done here. Not sure if this was chip seal, slurry seal, cape seal or what type of work was underway.

Really?

QuoteNoyes also said the black tar getting stuck to the vehicles is an example as to why it's important, to put paint protection and paint sealant on your vehicle once a year.

SectorZ

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 28, 2017, 06:06:04 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on September 27, 2017, 09:48:36 PM

Really?

QuoteNoyes also said the black tar getting stuck to the vehicles is an example as to why it's important, to put paint protection and paint sealant on your vehicle once a year.

I'd love to know what the protection and sealant is that I haven't been putting on my cars every year in the 20+ years I've owned one.

thenetwork

Quote from: formulanone on September 27, 2017, 07:19:20 PM
Bad curve?

Not to be confused with the other Michael Jackson-inspired "THRILLER CURVE" sign on the other side of town.

J N Winkler

Quote from: SectorZ on September 28, 2017, 12:28:03 PMI'd love to know what the protection and sealant is that I haven't been putting on my cars every year in the 20+ years I've owned one.

Carnauba wax has protectant properties.  Detailers and serious car hobbyists use at minimum a two-stage process for detailing the painted finish--a polish followed by a real carnauba wax (think Mr. Miyagi and the Karate Kid:  wipe on, wipe off), not a single-stage product with a synthetic water-beading agent like NuFinish.  There are also paint sealers that some people apply to the fronts of their cars to address bugs as well as tar, though I have no first-hand information as to their effectiveness.  Leather bras have deservedly gone out of fashion, though I have seen some cars with clear film bras that are designed to protect against bugs, tar, and stone chips.  (I personally think they are more trouble than they are worth because they can lead to differential fading, there is typically a line across the hood where the clear film ends that gathers dirt and dust and looks ugly, and lifting them can damage the paint.)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.