News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New Jersey Turnpike

Started by hotdogPi, December 22, 2013, 09:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ixnay

Quote from: thenetwork on September 14, 2017, 11:17:53 PM
Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on September 14, 2017, 10:42:38 PM
6/4/94

As noted in the article, 12 years ago, 13A was finished, sealing its fate

We're so sorry, Uncle Albert...

Did they sell butter pie there?

Oh, and give our best to the first Mrs. McCartney...

ixnay

jeffandnicole

6/4/94

Nice find!

Noted at the end of the article was a truck parking lot.  The Turnpike has tried, off and on for decades, to build one.  I think it's a half-hearted attempt at most, as they could probably find a place if they really tried.  The last attempt I know of was to build one in the Mt. Laurel area someplace...I never did hear of the exact location.  But I did hear Mt. Laurel wasn't interested in having it in their town, and the location (south of Exit 6) seemed like it would be missing out on a fair amount of the NJ Turnpike truck traffic.

Steve D

6/4/94

Very interesting article, but I find it hard to believe that the ramps for 13A led to it's demise.   They used the original service area ramps and added a second choice for exit 13A, so it took exactly the same time and effort to get to the service area as previous.  As mentioned above it was too close to the area between 11 and 12, and when the Lombardi area opened to the north the demand totally dried up.

There is also a common misconception that it closed at the time 13A was built, but it is clearly documented here they co-existed from 1982 to 1994.

storm2k

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 15, 2017, 06:10:10 AM
6/4/94

Nice find!

Noted at the end of the article was a truck parking lot.  The Turnpike has tried, off and on for decades, to build one.  I think it's a half-hearted attempt at most, as they could probably find a place if they really tried.  The last attempt I know of was to build one in the Mt. Laurel area someplace...I never did hear of the exact location.  But I did hear Mt. Laurel wasn't interested in having it in their town, and the location (south of Exit 6) seemed like it would be missing out on a fair amount of the NJ Turnpike truck traffic.

Their best bet would be to buy the land where the old movie theater was in Newark next to 15E. I'm just not sure how they would fit in ramps to it. It's where it needs to be (close to the city) and has access to not just the Turnpike but Truck 1-9, which is an important trucking route, plus it's in a mostly industrial area so there should be fewer concerns from local residents about noise and loitering and the like.

NJRoadfan

Looks like the NJ Turnpike Authority has rolled out a new website with a dedicated domain

http://www.njta.com/

Roadsguy

Quote from: NJRoadfan on October 07, 2017, 08:42:32 PM
Looks like the NJ Turnpike Authority has rolled out a new website with a dedicated domain

http://www.njta.com/

What did they have before? Anything?
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Alps

storm2k

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on August 17, 2017, 05:14:17 PM
They missed one!

This sign has been replaced with a MUTCD complaint one on the same structure. AFIAK, this means that all the "classic" Turnpike signage is now gone north of 8A and there isn't any button copy on the Turnpike proper anywhere now.

roadman65

I heard they removed US 1 shields off the new Exit 9 signs with the new ones.  I do remember when it was just NJ 18 and only New Brunswick as sole control destination.

In fact as late as 1985 there was a NJ 18 text guide on one of the overpasses that was a nice sign going NB when the freeway was only 6 lanes and two carriageways.

Sad to see the old signs go though.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on October 27, 2017, 09:19:36 PM
I heard they removed US 1 shields off the new Exit 9 signs with the new ones.  I do remember when it was just NJ 18 and only New Brunswick as sole control destination.

In fact as late as 1985 there was a NJ 18 text guide on one of the overpasses that was a nice sign going NB when the freeway was only 6 lanes and two carriageways.

Sad to see the old signs go though.

They did indeed remove the 1 shields. Now it's just signed as 18 New Brunswick. Even East Brunswick got moved to supplementary signs.

SignBridge

Interesting. Is there any new signage at all with anything like : To Route 1?
I actually will passing there this week. I'll take a look myself too.

NJRoadfan

SignBridge

Hmmm..........the photos seem to disprove what several people have said on here. Did they maybe eliminate the Route-1 shields in one direction only?

Alps

Quote from: SignBridge on October 29, 2017, 10:11:29 PM
Hmmm..........the photos seem to disprove what several people have said on here. Did they maybe eliminate the Route-1 shields in one direction only?
I believe that to be the case. Southbound, US 1 would be accessed from Ints. 10-11. Northbound, 9 makes sense. I hope I don't have that flipped.

storm2k

Quote from: Alps on October 29, 2017, 11:46:16 PM
Quote from: SignBridge on October 29, 2017, 10:11:29 PM
I believe that to be the case. Southbound, US 1 would be accessed from Ints. 10-11. Northbound, 9 makes sense. I hope I don't have that flipped.

Nope. I was wrong. Still shows 1 on both NB and SB signs. My mistake.

PHLBOS

Quote from: storm2k on October 26, 2017, 04:25:35 PM
Quote from: Mergingtraffic on August 17, 2017, 05:14:17 PM
They missed one!

This sign has been replaced with a MUTCD complaint one on the same structure. AFIAK, this means that all the "classic" Turnpike signage is now gone north of 8A and there isn't any button copy on the Turnpike proper anywhere now.
If by Turnpike proper, you mean the mainline Turnpike; that would be correct.  However, I encountered these old button copy signs while entering the Turnpike at Exit 4 this past weekend.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman65

I found this great shot somebody uploaded on flickr.

For those curious about new Turnpike MUTCD signs along the stretch north of 8A here is at least one.

Sheryl Crowe

Mergingtraffic

There was a "TURNPIKE SOUTH KEEP RIGHT" sign on the on-ramp to the turnpike from the Sports Complex but IDK if that's still there or not. Every time I drive by the ramp is either closed or I can't get to it from the Sports Complex b/c it is also closed.

Glad to see Exit 4 hangs on and weren't there oddly shaped advance signs on side streets for exit 8? Somewhere?
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

storm2k

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on November 16, 2017, 05:32:55 PM
There was a "TURNPIKE SOUTH KEEP RIGHT" sign on the on-ramp to the turnpike from the Sports Complex but IDK if that's still there or not. Every time I drive by the ramp is either closed or I can't get to it from the Sports Complex b/c it is also closed.

Glad to see Exit 4 hangs on and weren't there oddly shaped advance signs on side streets for exit 8? Somewhere?

This one is still in Carteret. Not even old. It was installed when they did the Exit 12 reconstruction, which also gave us this gorgeous green on white masterpiece.

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on November 16, 2017, 04:56:17 PM
I found this great shot somebody uploaded on flickr.

For those curious about new Turnpike MUTCD signs along the stretch north of 8A here is at least one.

Here you go:

jeffandnicole

Yeah...they are so..."standard".

ixnay

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 17, 2017, 03:24:00 PM
Yeah...they are so..."standard".

If anything about their design other than the NJTP logo on the pull through says "New Jersey Turnpike", I can't detect it.

ixnay

Alps

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on November 16, 2017, 05:32:55 PM

Yes, both directions. http://www.alpsroads.net/roads/nj/nj_32

roadman65

Wow SB Exit 15E gets control cities (and US 1 & 9) despite it technically being US 1 & 9 Truck (or US 1 & 9 T)!   For years it was just Exit 15E on the SB Eastern Spur as only NB or SB on the Western Spur got regular signing.

Sheryl Crowe

SignBridge

Yeah I never understood why Exit 15E was signed so badly on the Eastern Leg. So unlike the NJ Turnpike..........

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.