News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New Hampshire

Started by 74/171FAN, June 17, 2009, 09:14:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

It's not allowed to use an E-ZPass tag with an unregistered car, so they might be checking for that.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

mtantillo

Quote from: vdeane on June 02, 2013, 12:56:37 PM
It's not allowed to use an E-ZPass tag with an unregistered car, so they might be checking for that.

New Hampshire E-ZPass transactions are processed in real time.  But for anyone with an E-ZPass from outside of New Hampshire, the tolls will not post to E-ZPass accounts until at least the next day.  All NH DOT knows about the non-NH transponders if if they are linked to an active account, and which toll agency they are associated with.  If an otherwise valid transponder does not properly register or otherwise is not able to process a valid transaction (not enough money in the account), then NH DOT has a record of the vehicle license plate and can try to collect the old fashioned way. 

jeffandnicole

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on June 01, 2013, 10:50:47 PM
Although I could not attend the road meet in Portsmouth today, I did drive through the Hooksett toll plaza's new ORT lanes, which are quite nice. The state is advertising them (and the 30% E-ZPass discount) heavily, with VMSes all around central and southern NH announcing that they are now open.

One thing I noticed though is that the gantry takes a picture of every single car that passes through, with a quite obvious and mildly annoying flash. I had expected it to only photograph people without E-ZPasses. I presume for people with E-ZPasses the pictures are immediately deleted?

The photo equipment is actually recording video. 

A vehicle going thru an EZ Pass lane is doing so in a fraction of a second, so by the time the system recognizes a car didn't have an EZ Pass (or had one but the account was invalid) the vehicle has already left the toll plaza.  The flash you are seeing is probably some sort of time stamp showing when a vehicle went thru.

When it is discovered (probably days later) that a vehicle didn't have an EZ Pass or activite tag, they will research the time stamp, then forward or reverse the video in order to get a clear view of the front or rear license plate of the vehicle.   Hopefully a search is done to determine if the license plate is attached to an account; if so, then the account is charged the amount of the toll.  If not, then a violation notice is sent to the address registered with the license plate.

This is what occurs in the regular, slower lanes as well...it's just not as obvious.

froggie

Looks like something was happening on NH 9/NH 10 north of Keene when Google rolled through...

KEVIN_224

And that Santa got out of his car to ask questions! The shot looked like it was from late spring/early summer 2012.

Mapmikey

Google caught this mishap just after it happened on DE 9-A in Wilmington DE.

http://goo.gl/maps/R5vfI

Mapmikey

massroadpatriot

Quote from: Mapmikey on January 06, 2014, 09:27:06 AM
Google caught this mishap just after it happened on DE 9-A in Wilmington DE.

http://goo.gl/maps/R5vfI

Mapmikey

What does this have to do with New Hampshire?

mass_citizen

I believe it was in response to a previous post a few posts up of a google street view incident in new Hampshire. he was posting a similar incident discovered by google, albeit in another state.

hotdogPi

I'm not sure if you already know about these 3 reference markers, but I found them on NH 121 northbound in Atkinson.

Reference marker. Only 3 digits show.

Obstructed by plants in Street View, easy to see in real life. I believe all 12 digits show in real life.

Can't find the 3rd on Street View, but I know it's close to these two, it's northbound, and it's north of Sawyer Ave.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Pete from Boston

Any updates on the Spaulding Turnpike project near Dover?

shadyjay

Came through there 2 weeks ago....

Not much going on on the Dover side.  The area around Exit 6/US 4 will be rebuilt.  Actual construction started about even with the Hilton Park interchange (Exit 5, NB only) which is scheduled for closure but still open at the time.

The new Little Bay Bridge (sandwiched between the existing bridge and the original bridge (General Sullivan Bridge) is nearing completion.  SB signage has been shifted to be adjacent to the approaches.  Outside of line striping, it looks like this new span is almost complete.  I believe all traffic will shift to this span so the existing span can be reconstructed.  When completed, the new span will carry SB lanes while the old span will carry the NB traffic.

As for the Newington side, a whole lot of construction, right up to Exit 1.  The NB roadway is intact but will eventually go away, to be relocated to be next to the SB lanes.  Currently the two carriageways are separated, as there was a legal u-turn for SB to NB traffic.  The new Exit 3 (a right side exit) is under construction along with its associated new roadways. 

I took some pics of the work I'll try to get posted later in the weekend.

Pete from Boston

Cool, thanks.  By saying "near Dover" I'm generalizing–I don't know the towns out 4 and 16 that well.  I was there last week and was surprised to see the large scale of construction going on.

froggie

The large scale of construction is part of this project, which is effectively rebuilding the Spaulding Turnpike (i.e. NH 16) from Exit 1 (Gosling Rd...first exit north of I-95) to the Dover toll plaza north of Exit 6/US 4.  Construction will continue through 2017 (the interchange at US 4 begins later this year).  The main highlights:

- Widening/rehabbing the Little Bay Bridge, as shadyjay described above.
- Widening to 6 lanes plus auxiliary lanes from Exit 1 to the Dover Toll Plaza.  This will provide a consistent 6-lane section from I-95 to the toll plaza.
- Eliminating Exits 2 and 5 entirely.
- To mitigate the removal of Exit 5 and to serve those houses along the water north of the Little Bay Bridge, Hilton Dr and Dover Point Rd will be connected underneath the north end of the Little Bay Bridge.
- As shadyjay noted, Exit 3 will be reconfigured into a full interchange.  Northbound will be a standard diamond configuration with a traffic signal where the ramps meet Woodbury Ave.  A new bridge will be built over the turnpike to connect Woodbury Ave with Abroretum Dr.  Arboretum Dr, Woodbury Ave, and the southbound ramps will meet at a roundabout with a "free right" from the SB turnpike to Woodbury Ave.
- Between Exit 3 and Exit 4 (the area of the "legal u-turns" mentioned above), the turnpike alignment will be in the middle of the median.  The old northbound lanes will be removed, while some of the existing southbound lanes will be preserved to provide access to what was apparently a former drive-thru, located here.
- Exit 4 will retain its same basic configuration, but with the mainline going in the median, it will be rebuilt with better ramp geometry.
- Exit 6 at US 4 will be rebuilt and simplified into what is effectively a diamond interchange, eliminating both the loop ramp (existing NB 16 to WB 4) and the old northbound on-ramp from Dover Point Rd.  The SB off-ramp will still exit to Spur Rd.  The US 4/Spur Rd/Boston Harbor Rd intersection will be rebuilt as a roundabout.

froggie

Apparent white-out conditions caused a 35-car pileup on I-93 just south of Plymouth, NH this morning:

http://www.wcvb.com/news/50-to-100-car-crash-closes-i93-in-new-hampshire/30498244

roadman

Quote from: froggie on January 02, 2015, 01:37:56 PM
Apparent white-out conditions caused a 35-car pileup on I-93 just south of Plymouth, NH this morning:

http://www.wcvb.com/news/50-to-100-car-crash-closes-i93-in-new-hampshire/30498244
Don't know what's worse here - the fact a local police department immediately put out a tweet with the "50 to 100 car" estimate before verifying the actual count, or that the local media (I first saw the story on boston dot com) reprinted the tweet verbatium without checking the information first.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

agentsteel53

Quote from: roadman on January 02, 2015, 01:47:24 PM

Don't know what's worse here - the fact a local police department immediately put out a tweet with the "50 to 100 car" estimate before verifying the actual count, or that the local media (I first saw the story on boston dot com) reprinted the tweet verbatium without checking the information first.

the "first to get a number out" phenomenon is disturbing.  I remember a few years ago the large Moore, OK tornado killed 3 people, then 91, then 51 before finally settling on 25.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

hotdogPi

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 02, 2015, 03:56:08 PM

the "first to get a number out" phenomenon is disturbing.  I remember a few years ago the large Moore, OK tornado killed 3 people, then 91, then 51 before finally settling on 25.

Some of those people must have become alive again after they died.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

NE2

Some of the people gave birth right as they died.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

roadman

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 02, 2015, 03:56:08 PM

the "first to get a number out" phenomenon is disturbing.

Disturbing for a news outlet.  Inexcusable for a police department - even though it wasn't NH State Police that issued the first tweets.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

agentsteel53

Quote from: NE2 on January 02, 2015, 04:09:37 PM

the evangelical right would view this as the most righteously just thing that had ever happened, ever.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

cl94

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 02, 2015, 07:06:45 PM
Quote from: NE2 on January 02, 2015, 04:09:37 PM

the evangelical right would view this as the most righteously just thing that had ever happened, ever.

Don't encourage them. Joel Osteen or one of the other televangelists will launch a large media campaign about this as a sad excuse to make money.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Pete from Boston

Boston dot com these days is the Globe's "out" when it comes to real journalism.  It's something between a blog and a TV news web site.  Mostly "not yet ready for print" items. 

spooky

Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 03, 2015, 01:36:22 AM

Boston dot com these days is the Globe's "out" when it comes to real journalism.  It's something between a blog and a TV news web site.  Mostly "not yet ready for print" items. 

How dare you disparage boston.com like that.

KEVIN_224

This may relate to the New Hampshire Turnpike. I'll ask anyways:

Very near Exit 7 of I-95 in Portsmouth is mile marker 15.6. I don't see a mile marker 16 sign after that before the state line, on or near the Piscataqua River Bridge. Does that mean the bridge isn't a part of the Turnpike? I'm pretty certain that I-95 in New Hampshire is over 16 miles long.

cl94

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on January 09, 2015, 07:06:15 PM
This may relate to the New Hampshire Turnpike. I'll ask anyways:

Very near Exit 7 of I-95 in Portsmouth is mile marker 15.6. I don't see a mile marker 16 sign after that before the state line, on or near the Piscataqua River Bridge. Does that mean the bridge isn't a part of the Turnpike? I'm pretty certain that I-95 in New Hampshire is over 16 miles long.

Barely 16 miles (16.08 to be exact). The mile marker would be just inside the over truss, with the state line at or before its midpoint.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.