News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Google Maps just fucking SUCKS now

Started by agentsteel53, February 26, 2014, 03:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anyone else having an insane amount of trouble with the new Google Maps?

instant browser crash
10 (3.5%)
loads fine, then crashes the browser when attempting to do anything at all
23 (8%)
not quite terrible, but still worse
127 (44.4%)
I am indifferent
63 (22%)
I actually like the new Google Maps
63 (22%)

Total Members Voted: 286

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: 1 on April 25, 2017, 05:52:39 PM
Quote from: formulanone on April 25, 2017, 05:19:26 PM
I know you're new here, but please read through the entire thread before posting. Also, it's okay to read and not post. Post Quality > Post Quantity. 

24 pages?

Do you expect someone to read the entire 100+ pages of Erroneous Road Signs or Worst of Road Signs, or 50+ pages of "New Jersey Turnpike", "Florida", or "Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana" just before that person is allowed to post?
some threads might have 150+ pages.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

formulanone

I know you're new here, but please read through the entire thread before posting. Also, it's okay to read and not post. Post Quality > Post Quantity. 

24 pages?

Do you expect someone to read the entire 100+ pages of Erroneous Road Signs or Worst of Road Signs, or 50+ pages of "New Jersey Turnpike", "Florida", or "Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana" just before that person is allowed to post?

Expect? Not really.

Should? Maybe.

The first few pages (to figure out the topic) and the last 3-4 pages (recent developments) of a thread...YES!

I always figured the point of a forum was to learn first, and contribute later, if needed. It's not a stacking contest. Naturally, if a forum is new, it's a bit different.

jakeroot

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 25, 2017, 06:40:01 PM

24 pages?

some threads might have 150+ pages.

At least use the "search" function before posting your content, just in case somebody already posted similar content.

In your case, before posting, you could have opened this thread (to any page), then searched "why" to see if anyone already asked this question*. If not, feel free to post away.

*in the case of this thread, and most that have a subject similar to "X or Y sucks", post #1 probably explains why the user thinks "it" sucks.

Roadsguy

Has anyone else noticed that in satellite view, they can't just zoom straight into street view on a road anymore? Sometimes it also doesn't let me click to move forward when in street view either.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

vdeane

I just tested that and zoom to street view is gone for me too.  Never noticed it because I never use that "feature" - in fact, I hope it stays that way, because before one had to be really careful not to accidentally engage street view if they wanted to zoom in close.  Hopefully they'll remove the ability to zoom out of street view too so that I won't have to be paranoid to zoom out if I zoomed in while within street view; I find it to be EXTREMELY difficult to zoom out without accidentally going back to the map.

Not sure that the issues with clicking to move forward are new; it seem to happen to me intermittently and randomly, and has since the end of classic Maps.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Roadsguy

Well I've never had any issue with accidentally zooming into street view. It wasn't very sensitive, and it showed a circle marker to indicate that any more zooming would enter street view. It just made it more convenient.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

D-Dey65

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 10, 2017, 10:36:09 PM
Switching to aerial view appears to answer that question with ease: The split to the left allows traffic to turn right, then access the two left turn lanes for Salisbury Drive.  https://goo.gl/maps/qApVDQVR19m  The turn lanes are separated from the thru lanes via a low-concrete barrier.
Okay, I suppose I can see that, although it doesn't exactly help me read the signs. I've lost count as to how many times I tried to zoom in on one place, and ended up somewhere I didn't want to be.

I think I might've mentioned this in the past, but it does misidentify a lot of bodies of water between the forks of Long Island.

One other question though; Does anybody know how tall a typical camera on a Google Car is? I'm pretty sure it played a role in my previous misconceptions about the view of 167th Street station on the IRT Jerome Avenue Line from Gerard Avenue in the South Bronx.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:167th_Street_(IRT_Jerome_Avenue_Line)_from_Gerard_Avenue.JPG

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8354232,-73.9202985,3a,75y,298.79h,89.49t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1suXBONsjKti_Mpec37nuUxw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

I've been guessing the camera was 8 feet above ground level, but I'm not 100% sure.

jakeroot

Quote from: vdeane on April 26, 2017, 12:44:29 PM
I just tested that and zoom to street view is gone for me too.  Never noticed it because I never use that "feature" - in fact, I hope it stays that way, because before one had to be really careful not to accidentally engage street view if they wanted to zoom in close.  Hopefully they'll remove the ability to zoom out of street view too so that I won't have to be paranoid to zoom out if I zoomed in while within street view; I find it to be EXTREMELY difficult to zoom out without accidentally going back to the map.

Ditto. Zoom in for Street View drove me crazy. I would always zoom too far, and enter Street View. Glad it's gone.

Quote from: Roadsguy on April 26, 2017, 12:50:10 PM
Well I've never had any issue with accidentally zooming into street view. It wasn't very sensitive, and it showed a circle marker to indicate that any more zooming would enter street view. It just made it more convenient.

I never noticed that marker, but I wish I had. Would have made my Maps life a lot easier.

vdeane

The key with zooming is was to do it slowly enough at close zooms that one could notice the circle before street view was triggered.  I still feel like I can zoom in closer now than then, though (which is certainly helpful if one needs to check lane widths).  Unfortunately, there is no way to detect and avoid triggering the zoom out "feature", and that's still there.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: Roadsguy on April 26, 2017, 09:34:10 AM
Has anyone else noticed that in satellite view, they can't just zoom straight into street view on a road anymore? Sometimes it also doesn't let me click to move forward when in street view either.
The 'zoom directly into Streetview' was my favorite feature on the old Google Maps.  I liked being able to quickly jump in and out of satellite and I was really disappointed when they got rid of it with the inferior newer version.  I've gotten used to the new Maps, but it's still really slow and it's gotten more difficult to move around in Streetview - often stuck moving only in short increments or randomly dumping me onto another nearby street.  I stay in Lite mode as much as possible.  On my Ipad it defaults into the feature that rotates the view with the device itself, which is really annoying.  For all its flaws though - and there are many - it sure beats the old days without it.

empirestate

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on April 26, 2017, 09:37:45 PM
The 'zoom directly into Streetview' was my favorite feature on the old Google Maps.  I liked being able to quickly jump in and out of satellite and I was really disappointed when they got rid of it with the inferior newer version.  I've gotten used to the new Maps, but it's still really slow and it's gotten more difficult to move around in Streetview - often stuck moving only in short increments or randomly dumping me onto another nearby street.  I stay in Lite mode as much as possible.  On my Ipad it defaults into the feature that rotates the view with the device itself, which is really annoying.  For all its flaws though - and there are many - it sure beats the old days without it.

I find that it's much less fiddly to simply click a spot on the road where you want to be, then click on the Street View thumbnail that pops up at the bottom. Less motion than the zoom technique (and easier to carry out on a trackpad).

I've also been having mobile Street View problems lately - since about Jan/Feb it's been extremely slow and tedious.  Instead of being able to freely drag the blue line (and thus move) as quickly as possible and thus move up to 110 mph, I now only get to drag it a little bit (0.05 km at most) and then wait for the image to fully load (which takes longer as well) before I can drag again.  There are also more random dead-ends in the blue line, so I'm constantly having to go around blocks and get lost before I can end up where I want to be.

Between 9 Aug 2016 and 9 Feb 2017, I put on about 5100 km in GSV with no problems.  Three months later, my total mileage is only 5500 km because it's just not fun to use if it's going to be slow and hard to use like this.
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

Roadsguy

Quote from: empirestate on April 27, 2017, 11:26:32 AM

I find that it's much less fiddly to simply click a spot on the road where you want to be, then click on the Street View thumbnail that pops up at the bottom. Less motion than the zoom technique (and easier to carry out on a trackpad).

Huh, I never actually noticed you could do that. If the zoom-into-street view feature were still gone, knowing about that would've made it a whole lot easier...

I just went back and tried it out, and it seems like it's back, but only in a few places. It's only letting me do it on a few segments of road, and not others. For me I can do it near the US 322/422/PA 39 interchange in Hershey at least, but I haven't tried anywhere else.

Either way I tried it out a little to see how easy it really is to accidentally enter street view, and it's really not very for me at least. The little circle indicator appears 2-3 zoom levels below the highest, and there seems to be a little bit of "resistance" before the final zoom into street view. Plus if you do accidentally zoom too far, the transition is smooth enough that you can just immediately zoom back out when the view starts tilting and it's like nothing ever happened.

sbeaver44

Since the last update on Android if I click any gmaps links with a lat/lon it loads the app but never goes to the actual place, just shows the last place I was looking at.

Nexus 6P

Roadsguy

Zooming into street view seems to work everywhere for me again.

jakeroot

Quote from: Roadsguy on May 04, 2017, 03:12:50 PM

Same for me. I thought they removed it on purpose. Damn.

Highway63

While in Street View, it has a nasty habit of taking me off the interstate I've been following and dropping me onto the cross-road below. Then I have to return to map view and re-set the PegMan down. Then half the time it happens again.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Roadsguy on April 28, 2017, 12:34:16 PM
Quote from: empirestate on April 27, 2017, 11:26:32 AM

Huh, I never actually noticed you could do that. If the zoom-into-street view feature were still gone, knowing about that would've made it a whole lot easier...

I just went back and tried it out, and it seems like it's back, but only in a few places. It's only letting me do it on a few segments of road, and not others. For me I can do it near the US 322/422/PA 39 interchange in Hershey at least, but I haven't tried anywhere else.

Either way I tried it out a little to see how easy it really is to accidentally enter street view, and it's really not very for me at least. The little circle indicator appears 2-3 zoom levels below the highest, and there seems to be a little bit of "resistance" before the final zoom into street view. Plus if you do accidentally zoom too far, the transition is smooth enough that you can just immediately zoom back out when the view starts tilting and it's like nothing ever happened.

I've found that this feature doesn't exist when you turn off the (in my opinion unappealing) 3D model. It might not work that way for everyone though.

Quote from: Jeff Morrison on May 11, 2017, 02:13:34 AM
While in Street View, it has a nasty habit of taking me off the interstate I've been following and dropping me onto the cross-road below. Then I have to return to map view and re-set the PegMan down. Then half the time it happens again.

I usually just click on a different bit of the blue line in that little box at the bottom left.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

stormwatch7721

I'm having some issues with the pegman. When I click on the yellow circle, it doesn't let me go "inside" a place.

Rover_0

Not that I disagree or anything, but now Google Maps shows US-189 being effectively re-re-aligned onto UT-32:

Two things to note:

First, I would welcome this change, but it's still (as far as I know) incorrect, and

Second, UDOT really needs to end the confusion and just sign US-189 on its US-40 and I-80 concurrencies already.
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

Rothman

It will be a great day when the mobile version of Google Maps has the same functionality of the web version...despite the drawbacks Google is progressively adding to the product.

You share a meticulously planned out trip with your phone and poof!  You lose all your via points between the destinations.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kurumi

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

7/8

I noticed the past few weeks that Google Maps has the state/province listed after some cities, but not others. For example:
London, Ontario
Kitchener, Ontario
Toledo, Ohio
Fort Wayne, Indiana

But most only show the city name, for example:
Waterloo
Detroit
Indianapolis

Does anyone else see this on their version?

JJBers

*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

Highway63

Quote from: Roadsguy on May 04, 2017, 03:12:50 PM
My problem isn't zooming into Street View, it's trying to follow a freeway along Street View, clicking ahead, and then suddenly being transported to the road above/below. It's maddening.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.