News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Taking a bus to a roadmeet

Started by bandit957, April 14, 2015, 09:24:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSOWorld

Little ol' Platteville just started up a regular on-the-hour or half/hour transit service city-wide after having one focused on the University and retail areas last year.  It still concentrates service to the students, since most of us here have cars.  It has regular student stops at my former apartment, it does have less frequent stops near my house.  I probably won't use it though.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

maplestar

Quote from: Duke87 on April 15, 2015, 12:55:31 AM
If you have a functioning car there is kind of never any reason to take an intercity bus unless you want to do it just to say you did.

I was considering such just yesterday. I am trying to arrange my attendance at a conference next month. (And for a bit of time yesterday, I was considering the possibility that the person who I plan to travel with would be unable to attend.) For less than half of my estimated gas budget, I could get a round trip from here to that city. (Part of that being that I drive a minivan, and part of that being conservative: estimating three tanks of gas when it will either be two or two and a bit.) And given that I expected to pay horrible parking rates near the convention (and at many of the convenientish hotels), it became a no-brainer for a decision on cost, especially when I did not want to have to deal with parking and navigating in a city where I have never gotten off the interstate and with a reputation for horrible traffic. If I was traveling alone.

Fortunately, it seems like they will be able to join me, just for a slightly shorter time than we had originally planned, so I won't spend hours on the bus this time.

JMoses24

Quote from: bandit957 on April 14, 2015, 09:49:25 PM
Quote from: oscar on April 14, 2015, 09:44:06 PM
I took local transit (mix of bus and subway) to froggie's 2009 Wilson Bridge meet a few miles from my home, while I was still recovering from eye surgery and unable to drive.

I'm pretty sure I bicycled to the meet-up place for the 2013 Cincinnati meet, since it was only a few blocks from my home. I may be the only person who's ever bicycled to a roadmeet.

You did.

I HOSTED that meet, and I took transit to downtown Cincinnati (so I could stop at the library and print the directions), then walked to the meet location. 

By the way, I'm just spitballing here...one thing I have since figured out, is that I should copy/paste the directions into a Word document, and add notations about items of interest that we may drive past along the way.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.