News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

3D printed bridge

Started by bugo, June 15, 2015, 03:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke87

Pretty nifty.

The first question that comes to mind is - how does the structural strength of 3D printed steel compare to that of steel formed by more traditional means? For a low-load application like a pedestrian bridge iy isn't necessarily a huge concern if it's less, but for larger projects it would be.

Of course, even if the strength is a bit lower, necessitating more material to achieve the same load capacity, it could still be worthwhile if the savings on labor costs make up for it.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

nexus73

Using nanotech to create materials much stronger, combined with using nanites for self-repair will enable us to make maintenance-free structures.  In case of massive stress caused by earthquakes, the nanites can change the rigidity factor to one that lets the structure go limp as needed to survive, then it can re-harden to allow for use after the quake.  That is how I see 3-D evolving for the building of structures.

The real advance will be when we can come up with Star Trek-style replicators for much faster construction.  22nd century tech would be nice to have when trying to settle Mars!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

noelbotevera

The same idea was used five years earlier for the I-35W bridge in Minneapolis (not the collapsed one). It kinda can self repair and doesn't involve humans at all, but maybe just to check how it's doing.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.