News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-90 rebuilding and widening

Started by bahnburner, September 08, 2015, 10:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dzlsabe

Quote from: GeekJedi on January 10, 2017, 09:07:44 PM
Is it sad that I look at this pic and immediately notice I-90 between Chicago and Rockford?  :-D

Oh look, it zooms in.

Electricity is the future.
ILs mantra..the beatings will continue until the morale improves but Expect Delays is good too. Seems some are happy that Chicago/land remains miserable. Status quo is often asinine...Always feel free to use a dictionary as I tend to offend younger or more sensitive viewers. Thanx Pythagoras. :rofl:

dvferyance

Quote from: dzlsabe on March 05, 2017, 02:05:47 PM
Quote from: GeekJedi on January 10, 2017, 09:07:44 PM
Is it sad that I look at this pic and immediately notice I-90 between Chicago and Rockford?  :-D

Oh look, it zooms in.

Electricity is the future.
Cool picture I can indemnify where every city is.

bahnburner

I don't go here often, but I just noticed the LED signs are functioning, showing different messages. The Eastern segment of I-90 is pretty chill at night, besides the occasional left and middle lane hogs.

ChiMilNet

What's really sad is that this highlights all the more how inadequate the portion of I-90 is once it merges into the Kennedy Expressway Eastbound. The outdated six lane portion once in the NW Side of Chicago really sticks out like a sore thumb badly now. I know they're doing some work to fix the merge, but I fear it's just going to be similar to what happened on the Hillside Strangler when they attempted to redo that.

Truly, I-90 is now a prime example in IL of how the Tollway seems to overall look like they have it together, but IDOT doesn't have a clue.

johndoe780

IDOT's currently widening 90 from cumberland to harlem to 4 lanes eastbound.

When is IDOT going to widen 90 from harlem to cumberland westbound?

ChiMilNet

CBS Chicago has a whole article that shows the latest NASA images over Chicago. The big change... I-90!  :-D

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/04/13/chicago-night-nasa-satellite-image815861/

quickshade

Elmhurst road interchange will be shifted to new traffic pattern next week (June 16th) after morning rush hour. Once switched traffic will be monitored through the weekend and signals adjusted while final ramp work is completed. On June 19th existing ramp (carrying traffic east) will re-open followed by the other ramp later in the week, weather dependent. Minor intersection work, landscaping will be completed after this work is complete along with other local road improvements that will be done by this fall on Elmhurst road.

Barrington road is looking more towards a late July, early August opening date. No clue why it is taking so long to finish this intersection other than possible subcontracting issues. Work continues on the Pace bus station which should be finished and up and running by this fall.

I-39

Quote from: quickshade on June 09, 2017, 11:17:54 AM
Elmhurst road interchange will be shifted to new traffic pattern next week (June 16th) after morning rush hour. Once switched traffic will be monitored through the weekend and signals adjusted while final ramp work is completed. On June 19th existing ramp (carrying traffic east) will re-open followed by the other ramp later in the week, weather dependent. Minor intersection work, landscaping will be completed after this work is complete along with other local road improvements that will be done by this fall on Elmhurst road.

Barrington road is looking more towards a late July, early August opening date. No clue why it is taking so long to finish this intersection other than possible subcontracting issues. Work continues on the Pace bus station which should be finished and up and running by this fall.

What about the Roselle WB entrance ramp via Central Road?

Revive 755

Quote from: I-39 on June 09, 2017, 07:15:21 PM

Has not even started - last I heard the project had a protest on the bids.

I-39

Quote from: Revive 755 on June 09, 2017, 09:13:52 PM
Quote from: I-39 on June 09, 2017, 07:15:21 PM

Has not even started - last I heard the project had a protest on the bids.

What do you mean? That's dumb.

Then again, it IS Cook County..........

Revive 755

^ Best way to describe since I do not have any more details is that a contractor who bid on the project but was not the low bidder is complaining that something was not right with the bid process.  One possibility is that more information was available to one or more bidders but was not available to the other bidders.

EDIT:  On a related note, Bing Maps is showing the new ramp from Central Road to WB I-90 while not showing the currently open exit from EB I-90 to Roselle Road.  https://binged.it/2s8weyD

Joe The Dragon

It looks like comed is getting new poles in place for it?? / central road work.

Great Lakes Roads

ET21

So what was going on this week on 90 between Rockford and Elgin? I was hearing horror stories during rush hour that only one lane was open in both directions due to construction (tearing up new lanes was used multiple times)
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

quickshade

Quote from: ET21 on June 17, 2017, 10:38:26 AM
So what was going on this week on 90 between Rockford and Elgin? I was hearing horror stories during rush hour that only one lane was open in both directions due to construction (tearing up new lanes was used multiple times)

Pavement repair and warranty work on both sides of the road from Rockford to Elgin. Some cracked segments were replaced and others were leveled out along with some shoulder pavement repairs and lighting work.

JREwing78

Folks may be interested to know what is going on north of the Wisconsin state line:

- Overpasses not already replaced in previous years are being replaced this year, including right at the state line (for aptly-named Stateline Rd).

- The NBD span of I-39/90 over the Rock River at Lake Koshkonong near Edgerton is nearing completion. Staging is in place to eventually route both directions of traffic onto it while the SBD side is rebuilt.

- The interchange at County N north of Stoughton (exit 147) is being reconstructed

- The NBD side of I-39/90 from the Dane county line north to around MM 153 or 154 is currently being reconstructed. Two lanes of traffic separated by center barrier is operating on the SBD side.

- Preparation work is in progress to perform similar work on the NBD side of I-39/90 from Beloit north through Janesville, shunting both directions of traffic to the SBD side.

Speeds are posted at 70 throughout aside from spot locations (at the Rock River, overnights at the overpass sites, etc). WisDOT is clearly under no delusion that people will follow a 45 mph speed limit for 40+ miles, unlike the ISTHA. Then again, WisDOT's temporary widening work is significantly more generous - there's two 12' lanes and 4' shoulders, with turnouts in the right shoulder at regular intervals. There's completed interstates that are less generous.

quickshade

Quote from: JREwing78 on June 19, 2017, 07:03:57 PM
Folks may be interested to know what is going on north of the Wisconsin state line:

- Overpasses not already replaced in previous years are being replaced this year, including right at the state line (for aptly-named Stateline Rd).

- The NBD span of I-39/90 over the Rock River at Lake Koshkonong near Edgerton is nearing completion. Staging is in place to eventually route both directions of traffic onto it while the SBD side is rebuilt.

- The interchange at County N north of Stoughton (exit 147) is being reconstructed

- The NBD side of I-39/90 from the Dane county line north to around MM 153 or 154 is currently being reconstructed. Two lanes of traffic separated by center barrier is operating on the SBD side.

- Preparation work is in progress to perform similar work on the NBD side of I-39/90 from Beloit north through Janesville, shunting both directions of traffic to the SBD side.

Speeds are posted at 70 throughout aside from spot locations (at the Rock River, overnights at the overpass sites, etc). WisDOT is clearly under no delusion that people will follow a 45 mph speed limit for 40+ miles, unlike the ISTHA. Then again, WisDOT's temporary widening work is significantly more generous - there's two 12' lanes and 4' shoulders, with turnouts in the right shoulder at regular intervals. There's completed interstates that are less generous.

http://wisconsindot.gov/dtsdManuals/traffic-ops/manuals-and-standards/tgm/13/13-05-06.pdf

This has more to do with Wisconsin and Illinois than anything else. Illinois mandates all construction zones be 45 M.P.H or less, while Wisconsin seems to have done the proper research on the subject. I'm inclined to side with Wisconsin on this one, as going from 65-70 down to 45 is disruptive to traffic, create backups that end up in more fender benders and creates dangerous situations in which people still do about 55-60 in construction zones in Illinois despite the speed limit. I'm all for protecting workers and reasonable speeds but Illinois just seems to lack an understanding of how people drive.

Revive 755

^ While the statewide highway standards for Illinois mandate a maximum of 45 for work zones on freeways and expressways, IDOT will sometimes only reduce the speed limit down to 55 unless there is active work near the open lane and/or narrow lanes.  ISTHA on the other hand seems much more willing to go down to 45.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: Revive 755 on June 19, 2017, 09:05:23 PM
^ While the statewide highway standards for Illinois mandate a maximum of 45 for work zones on freeways and expressways, IDOT will sometimes only reduce the speed limit down to 55 unless there is active work near the open lane and/or narrow lanes.  ISTHA on the other hand seems much more willing to go down to 45.
ISTHA has 55 work zones.

not that people give a dam in some on the new parts of I-90 people where doing 70-80+ in them near the end of the work.

quickshade

Not that I would fault them for the 45 MPH zones, some of those lane shifts and zero shoulders with a semi next to you were pretty scary even at 45 MPH. Those were some of the smallest lanes i've driven in doing speeds that fast, not to mention the uneven pavement.  :-o

Revive 755

As of today some of the smart gantry boards over the right shoulder were active for eastbound I-90.  One had a full color shield for I-290 with a travel time, one was a 'shoulder for emergency stopping only' type message, and another had an I-294 shield with a travel time.  None of the other boards over the lanes or left shoulder were active.

hobsini2

Quote from: JREwing78 on June 19, 2017, 07:03:57 PM

You forgot that access to US 51 North - Stoughton exit going northbound 39/90 is closed. The posted detour is going north to N then crossing the highway and coming back down to 51 on 39/90. I would suggest just stay on N into Stoughton.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

JREwing78

Quote from: hobsini2 on June 21, 2017, 09:40:58 PM
You forgot that access to US 51 North - Stoughton exit going northbound 39/90 is closed. The posted detour is going north to N then crossing the highway and coming back down to 51 on 39/90. I would suggest just stay on N into Stoughton.

County N's not exactly in a condition where that's an option - the old overpass across the interstate is halfway apart. SBD I-39/EBD I-90 traffic can access County N south, but not NBD I-39/WBD I-90 traffic.

Locals would take the US 51 South/Hwy 73 North exit north of Edgerton (exit 160), then follow Albion Rd and County A to Stoughton.

hobsini2

I know that but I didn't post the detour. I would have had the detour take Hwy A between Exit 160 and Exit 156. And posted the detour from I-39/90 to US 51 North at Exit 160.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

tribar

ISP has finally started taking advantage of those obsessively low 55 mph speed limits. I've seen a lot of them around Arlington Heights Rd the past few weeks.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.