News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Corridor H (Va., W.Va. and Md.) Meet - Late Spring/Early Summer 2016

Started by cpzilliacus, September 13, 2015, 09:52:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: noelbotevera on September 20, 2015, 10:07:45 AM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on September 20, 2015, 09:58:00 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on September 19, 2015, 10:05:56 PM
Also concerning logistics, I wouldn't want to have to return to Winchester from, say, the Paw Paw area, only to have to drive west again. And someone from the east coast probably wouldn't want to have to backtrack from Weston.

Suggestions on this (long-distance) meet are welcome and appreciated.
Depends. Can the meet stretch into Pennsylvania? I could make this meet (if there's money and my mom and dad allows it) if it's around the Winchester, Virginia area. It's about 50 miles from here.

As far as I know, Corridor H does not enter the state of PA. Are there/have there been any big road related happenings in your area now/recently, noel?  :hmmm: That might be some motivation to extend the meet into Pennsylvania.
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

noelbotevera

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on September 20, 2015, 10:22:12 AM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on September 20, 2015, 09:58:00 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on September 19, 2015, 10:05:56 PM
Also concerning logistics, I wouldn't want to have to return to Winchester from, say, the Paw Paw area, only to have to drive west again. And someone from the east coast probably wouldn't want to have to backtrack from Weston.

Suggestions on this (long-distance) meet are welcome and appreciated.
Depends. Can the meet stretch into Pennsylvania? I could make this meet (if there's money and my mom and dad allows it) if it's around the Winchester, Virginia area. It's about 50 miles from here.

As far as I know, Corridor H does not enter the state of PA. Are there/have there been any big road related happenings in your area now/recently, noel?  :hmmm: That might be some motivation to extend the meet into Pennsylvania.
There's US 219 construction north of the MD state line to extend the freeway.
Construction on I-70 to reconstruct between the West Virginia line to I-79.
Laurel Hill Tunnel near PA Turnpike near mile 99.
South Fork Dam, where US 219 has an old alignment near Johnstown.
Old US 219 alignment (pre-freeway) through Somerset, Johnstown, and Ebensburg. PA 56 also shares this trait and was not on a freeway through Johnstown.

Zeffy

I don't wish to rain on your parade, but at least from my perspective, my parents objected heavily to letting me meet up with strangers on the internet, no matter how good-willed they seemed. Granted, I still was fucked by that policy until a year ago... I don't know what the other's opinions are, but 11 years old seems a bit young to be doing this.

Myself, I am in the process of acquiring a vehicle right now, so until that happens roadmeets are still very unlikely.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

CanesFan27

Quote from: Duke87 on September 19, 2015, 08:07:19 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on September 18, 2015, 11:17:26 PM
You'd be surprised. There have been a rash of car break-ins at people's homes in this area lately.

You're right, I would be surprised. But I can see thieves in a small town being more brash due to a lack of non-residential places you'd find a car parked at night and the ease of quickly leaving said town.

And I bet many of those cars were left unlocked.  Our neighborhood typically gets one run of break-ins a year and all the vehicles were left unlocked.  You are probably more at risk of someone calling in your car for being a suspicious vehicle or towed (Depending on where you parked) than having it broke into.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Zeffy on September 20, 2015, 10:32:22 AM
I don't wish to rain on your parade, but at least from my perspective, my parents objected heavily to letting me meet up with strangers on the internet, no matter how good-willed they seemed. Granted, I still was fucked by that policy until a year ago... I don't know what the other's opinions are, but 11 years old seems a bit young to be doing this.

Myself, I am in the process of acquiring a vehicle right now, so until that happens roadmeets are still very unlikely.

I would expect to speak with the parents of any minor that would like to participate in such activities - well in advance and in person, to work out ground rules.

I do not object per se to a minor participating.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

noelbotevera

Quote from: cpzilliacus on September 20, 2015, 04:48:12 PM
Quote from: Zeffy on September 20, 2015, 10:32:22 AM

I would expect to speak with the parents of any minor that would like to participate in such activities - well in advance and in person, to work out ground rules.

I do not object per se to a minor participating.
Wanna try something new for me. This is a big first to at least starting to be a roadgeek.

My suggestion is to do the PA-WV-MD tri-point as a stop.

hbelkins

We've had a number of teens attend meets with their parents before. Ronald Rose came to Ashland with his dad. I think the first meet I ever attended with Ian Liggett, his dad brought him. So there's precedent.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

noelbotevera

Theoretically, I can attend - I get 5 days to be out of school for an education trip. This is one of them.

Quote from: hbelkins on September 20, 2015, 06:41:34 PM
We've had a number of teens attend meets with their parents before. Ronald Rose came to Ashland with his dad. I think the first meet I ever attended with Ian Liggett, his dad brought him. So there's precedent.
That, but unless ethanman attended roadmeets (yeah I actually know about him thanks to roadman65 and some old threads from 2011/2012 I dug up), I'm possibly the youngest person to attend one. So, certainly, yes there's precedent.

Duke87

Quote from: noelbotevera on September 20, 2015, 06:47:48 PM
That, but unless ethanman attended roadmeets (yeah I actually know about him thanks to roadman65 and some old threads from 2011/2012 I dug up), I'm possibly the youngest person to attend one. So, certainly, yes there's precedent.

Younger people have attended, since people have brought their kids to meets before. Albeit in those cases it was the parent that specifically wanted to attend, not the child.

Regardless, the point stands that some simple common sense ought to be exercised. If you want to come to a meet you are more than welcome (they're open to anyone!), but one of your parents should be with you.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

oscar

Quote from: noelbotevera on September 20, 2015, 10:31:39 AM
Quote from: TravelingBethelite on September 20, 2015, 10:22:12 AM

There's US 219 construction north of the MD state line to extend the freeway.
Construction on I-70 to reconstruct between the West Virginia line to I-79.
Laurel Hill Tunnel near PA Turnpike near mile 99.
South Fork Dam, where US 219 has an old alignment near Johnstown.
Old US 219 alignment (pre-freeway) through Somerset, Johnstown, and Ebensburg. PA 56 also shares this trait and was not on a freeway through Johnstown.

Sounds like enough for a separate road meet. But adding it to a meet focused on a different state would be pushing it. Over-ambitious meet itineraries tend to be no fun, especially since meets tend to run late unless a lot of extra time is built into the itinerary.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Alps

Quote from: Duke87 on September 20, 2015, 10:21:00 PM

Younger people have attended, since people have brought their kids to meets before. Albeit in those cases it was the parent that specifically wanted to attend, not the child.

Regardless, the point stands that some simple common sense ought to be exercised. If you want to come to a meet you are more than welcome (they're open to anyone!), but one of your parents should be with you.
Ian and Adam have both attended as minors - Ian's dad brought him for a few years.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Duke87 on September 20, 2015, 10:21:00 PM

Having one or both parents there is my only requirement for a minor under 16 to attend a meet I would host, along with that I would ask that the minor must always ride in the same car as his parent(s); whether that car is their own or someone else's when we consolidate vehicles doesn't matter to me, just that they are always in the same car.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

jpi

My wife and I brought our nephew to a couple meets in the mid 2000's (SWPA Christmas meet 2007 stands out) he was barely 10 years old then.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

dave19

The OP mentions a possible dinner stop in Buckhannon - I would recommend a place downtown on Main Street called CJ Maggies. Another nice place (but expensive) is the 88 between downtown and the college. There is also a relatively new B-dubs at the route 20 interchange, a Huddle House a couple miles west, and a lot of fast food chain places located around town.

Alps

Quote from: dave19 on September 21, 2015, 10:49:50 PM
    The OP mentions a possible dinner stop in Buckhannon - I would recommend a place downtown on Main Street called CJ Maggies. Another nice place (but expensive) is the 88 between downtown and the college. There is also a relatively new B-dubs at the route 20 interchange, a Huddle House a couple miles west, and a lot of fast food chain places located around town.
So what you're saying is there's really nothing in the way of food in Buckhannon, given that these are apparently the top choices. Not surprised. I had a pretty good meal at the Maggies there, smoking waitress (literally, unfortunately).

hbelkins

Quote from: Alps on September 21, 2015, 11:08:52 PM
So what you're saying is there's really nothing in the way of food in Buckhannon, given that these are apparently the top choices. Not surprised. I had a pretty good meal at the Maggies there, smoking waitress (literally, unfortunately).

I'm not sure there is anything great food-wise anywhere in that general area. There used to be a CJ Maggie's in Ashland, but it became Fat Patty's before I ever tried it. The one time I ever spent the night in Buckhannon, I didn't have time for a full sit-down meal so I grabbed something from the new Sheetz instead.

dave19

Steve, that must have been a while ago - I think it's been at least 5 or 6 years since smoking was allowed in restaurants in Upshur County.

I neglected to mention a decent Mexican place on N. Florida Street.

There's a place I like called the Hickory House about 2 miles north of Weston on US 19.

Alps

Quote from: dave19 on September 22, 2015, 10:49:00 PM
Steve, that must have been a while ago - I think it's been at least 5 or 6 years since smoking was allowed in restaurants in Upshur County.

I neglected to mention a decent Mexican place on N. Florida Street.

There's a place I like called the Hickory House about 2 miles north of Weston on US 19.
She smoked outside.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: oscar on September 18, 2015, 11:41:00 PM
Quote from: A.J. Bertin on September 16, 2015, 06:47:37 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on September 15, 2015, 02:16:49 PM
I wonder how comfortable people would be leaving their vehicles in some random spot overnight and returning to them the next day.

I would not do this. I would want to make sure my car was with me both days.

Same here. Not so much worries about break-ins, but if I needed to overnight somewhere in Elkins or points west (like Weston on I-79) between day 1 and day 2, I'd want my stuff with me, including at a bare minimum overnight bag, tote bag with my meds, and portable electric cooler. Carpooling and leaving cars behind in, say, Winchester would require people not only to haul their gear, but also coordinate on their lodging arrangements.

A.J., did this issue come up with the Marquette/U.P. meet (which was also multi-location), and did anybody end up leaving cars behind and carpooling on the meet tours?

My concern has nothing to do with safety. I just don't like the idea of having my car in a different place from where I'm staying overnight. I don't like the idea of riding along with someone out of the way just to get my car and return it in the opposite direction when I'm driving home. Also, I've found at recent road meets I've attended that I like the freedom of being able to leave the tour early if I feel I need to for whatever reason. I don't have as much patience as I used to for meet tours that last more than 3-4 hours or so. By 6:00 or so, I'm usually ready for some alone time apart from the big group. (That's just the introvert in me.) The idea of having my travel restricted because my car is not with me (especially overnight) is not something I'd be happy with at all.

The U.P. meet was like every other meet in which there are some people who leave their cars near the restaurant while others drive and bring everyone back to their cars at the end of each tour day.
-A.J. from Michigan

cpzilliacus

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on September 26, 2015, 11:32:55 PM
My concern has nothing to do with safety. I just don't like the idea of having my car in a different place from where I'm staying overnight. I don't like the idea of riding along with someone out of the way just to get my car and return it in the opposite direction when I'm driving home. Also, I've found at recent road meets I've attended that I like the freedom of being able to leave the tour early if I feel I need to for whatever reason. I don't have as much patience as I used to for meet tours that last more than 3-4 hours or so. By 6:00 or so, I'm usually ready for some alone time apart from the big group. (That's just the introvert in me.) The idea of having my travel restricted because my car is not with me (especially overnight) is not something I'd be happy with at all.

The U.P. meet was like every other meet in which there are some people who leave their cars near the restaurant while others drive and bring everyone back to their cars at the end of each tour day.

There is no mandate that anyone park a car overnight and come back to it the next day. But I want the option open to anyone that might be interested in doing that.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: cpzilliacus on September 28, 2015, 09:26:51 PM

There is no mandate that anyone park a car overnight and come back to it the next day. But I want the option open to anyone that might be interested in doing that.

That's cool. I hope you weren't taken aback in any way by my last post. I'm still really hoping I can attend! :)
-A.J. from Michigan

ericnear

Haven't checked back here in a while. I'm a maybe for this - I already plan on being in the Huntington, WV area during Memorial Day weekend 2016. We shall see.
Proud of my hometown (Ironton, OH) but wouldn't ever leave my adopted home.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on September 28, 2015, 11:27:17 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on September 28, 2015, 09:26:51 PM

That's cool. I hope you weren't taken aback in any way by my last post. I'm still really hoping I can attend! :)

Not at all. Hope you can be there.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: ericnear on October 09, 2015, 12:48:53 PM
Haven't checked back here in a while. I'm a maybe for this - I already plan on being in the Huntington, WV area during Memorial Day weekend 2016. We shall see.

Winchester, Va. (planned start of the Day One meet) is a considerable distance from Huntington (Google says about 340 miles).

Even the "other end" of the Day One meet (Weston, Buckhannon, Elkins) are pretty distant (153, 165 and 188 miles respectively).

hbelkins

Weston's about 2 1/2 hours from Huntington. I've driven it so many times that I'm pretty familiar with the time needed to make that trip.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.