News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Impromptu NY Capitol Region dinner? March 4, 2016

Started by froggie, February 10, 2016, 10:57:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

I'll be attending a conference in Saratoga Springs, NY the first weekend of March.  This opens itself up to a "gathering of the minds" sometime that Friday evening (the 4th...my only timeslot available) if there's any interest.  I'd prefer meeting up in Saratoga County, but I'm willing to traipse as far as Latham or Troy if it comes to that.  Given when I'll be able to leave Lyndonville, I'd be looking at a 6:30-7:30pm timeframe to meet.

Alps

I can possibly swing leaving work a little early.

Rothman

Count me in.  I can make it up to Saratoga; just name a place.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Dougtone

I reckon that I can help figure out a decent restaurant to meet at. I'm not quite as versed with places in Saratoga Springs as I am in, say, Clifton Park, which also has a lot of dinner places to choose from.

noelbotevera

froggie

That would be useful, Doug, especially if it's one where, given the date and time, we won't have to wait long.

jpi

Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

noelbotevera

Quote from: jpi on February 14, 2016, 01:41:37 PM
Quote from: noelbotevera on February 13, 2016, 01:06:49 PM
Man, I want to go here, but can't. School.
How would you get there, your parents??
Yup. Still too young, just five more years.

froggie

Doug:  let us know when you have some eatery options.

Jim

I'm not likely to be able to join the fun, but if I'm in Saratoga Springs and looking for a place to eat, I often end up at Hattie's for fried chicken.  Good stuff, if you like that kind of thing.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

Dougtone

Quote from: froggie on February 17, 2016, 03:45:21 PM
Doug:  let us know when you have some eatery options.

I should ask what types of food that people prefer or prefer not to have.

Just getting around to this. I'm trying to determine what may be a good location for a Friday night dinner, which may vary from restaurants that I may usually recommend. In Clifton Park, there's the Brick House Tavern and Grille (this is different than the Brick House Tavern & Tap that recently opened in Latham, but that's something I need to check out sometime as well) over near Exit 9 of the Northway. Peddler's Pub is also nearby, but that gets loud. Powers Pub on US 9 over near Kinns Road. Pancho's near Exit 8 of the Northway if anyone is hankering for Mexican.

I don't know Saratoga Springs quite as well when it comes to restaurants, but I've stopped at the Mexican Connection (it's near the track) a few times on my way home from hiking trips. Hattie's Chicken Shack was also mentioned, and there's a location on NY 50 over near the Wilton Mall (but it seems to be more fast serve than anything). Latham, I would steer more towards some place like Scarborough's.

Diners are always solid options as well. Finally, in Troy, I would recommend the Troy location of Pancho's (on Hoosick Street) as an option. Two Brothers Italian Restaurant (also in Troy) has a family connection for me, as the owners are related to one of my relatives, but on the other side of my relative's family.

Rothman

Quote from: Dougtone on February 17, 2016, 08:11:19 PM
Diners are always solid options as well. Finally, in Troy, I would recommend the Troy location of Pancho's (on Hoosick Street) as an option. Two Brothers Italian Restaurant (also in Troy) has a family connection for me, as the owners are related to one of my relatives, but on the other side of my relative's family.

Pfft.  Let's stay out of the Troylet.  I like how my boss describes Troy: "Shooty."

I'm up for anything.  There's also a Karavalli's in Saratoga or Shalimar in Clifton Park (both very good Indian), I believe, for whatever that's worth.  Pubs are probably safe.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

froggie

QuotePfft.  Let's stay out of the Troylet.  I like how my boss describes Troy: "Shooty."

Say what you will, but there are some decent restaurants in Troy.  You're lucky that the timing precludes my otherwise-healthy-desire to go to Dinosaur BBQ...

Rothman

Quote from: froggie on February 18, 2016, 09:51:35 AM
QuotePfft.  Let's stay out of the Troylet.  I like how my boss describes Troy: "Shooty."

Say what you will, but there are some decent restaurants in Troy.  You're lucky that the timing precludes my otherwise-healthy-desire to go to Dinosaur BBQ...

Sure, Dinosaur's one of the better BBQ places...in upstate NY (I'd take Sticky Lips in Rochester over it).  However, compared to places outside of the region, it's over-hyped.

Alps

Troy is a fine place and I'd support being there.

Dougtone

Quote from: Rothman on February 18, 2016, 12:35:54 PM

Sure, Dinosaur's one of the better BBQ places...in upstate NY (I'd take Sticky Lips in Rochester over it).  However, compared to places outside of the region, it's over-hyped.

I may have mentioned Giffy's BBQ in Clifton Park, but my understanding is that the restaurant is closed for renovations.

Rothman

Quote from: Alps on February 18, 2016, 07:33:37 PM

Troy is a fine place and I'd support being there.

Troy:  Safer than 5% of other U.S. cities! :D

Anyway, whatever.  Again, I'm okay with wherever, even if it's in the Troylet.

CanesFan27

Why not Niskayuna?  Everyone's a big kahuna - and they eat the finest tuna!

Dougtone

Quote from: Rothman on February 18, 2016, 08:51:23 AM

Pfft.  Let's stay out of the Troylet.  I like how my boss describes Troy: "Shooty."

I'm up for anything.  There's also a Karavalli's in Saratoga or Shalimar in Clifton Park (both very good Indian), I believe, for whatever that's worth.  Pubs are probably safe.

Pubs are probably the safest bet of them all. I think I had mentioned the name of a pub or two around Clifton Park (and could probably coming up with a couple more). I haven't had much Indian food ever, but I'd be open to Indian if everyone else is.

froggie

Jim

Again, the one who's probably not coming making a suggestion: I met some friends at Finnbar's at Broadway and Williams in Troy (the location was formerly Holmes and Watson) a few months ago and everyone really enjoyed their meals.  Our group of 12 or so was given the entire upstairs area, without a reservation and on an otherwise busy Friday night.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

Rothman

For a pub in Saratoga, I've heard Seven Horse is good, although I've never been.

Alps

Quote from: Dougtone on February 22, 2016, 11:42:33 PM
Quote from: Rothman on February 18, 2016, 08:51:23 AM

Pubs are probably the safest bet of them all. I think I had mentioned the name of a pub or two around Clifton Park (and could probably coming up with a couple more). I haven't had much Indian food ever, but I'd be open to Indian if everyone else is.
I'm open like a hallway.

baugh17

I don't think I have any plans, but put me down as a maybe.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.