News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-40 / I-240 East Interchange in Memphis

Started by rte66man, May 19, 2016, 01:59:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rte66man

on my way to Nashville last Wednesday:

DSC_0028 by rte66man, on Flickr

DSC_0025 by rte66man, on Flickr
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

SPAdriver

TrevorB

It's just about done, thankfully. They've completed the new flyovers and are working on widening and paving 40 just west of the interchange. The widening required a bridge replacement which is entering its last phase.

rte66man

Quote from: TrevorB on May 20, 2016, 01:24:30 PM
It's just about done, thankfully. They've completed the new flyovers and are working on widening and paving 40 just west of the interchange. The widening required a bridge replacement which is entering its last phase.

West?  The bridge I see in the photos is over the Wolf River, which is east of the interchange.  Since the slope of the ramp and the amount of traffic precluded seeing what was being done to Sam Cooper Blvd, can you elaborate?
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

TrevorB

TrevorB

Some photos from today of brand new signage on I-40.

Eastbound:

Westbound:

iPhone

ARMOURERERIC

Why does staying on 40 west have an exit number?

TrevorB

I was wondering that, I'm not sure.

iPhone

lordsutch

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on June 19, 2016, 01:04:06 AM
Why does staying on 40 west have an exit number?

It's a legacy of when I-40 was routed through Memphis on Sam Cooper Blvd and what is posted as I-40 was the "north loop" of I-240. Why TDOT hasn't fixed it in the decades since moving I-40 onto the north loop (and eventually removing the I-240 signage), I honestly don't know; they could renumber it as exit 11 with appropriate suffixes and have consistent numbering for each ramp in every direction. Neither the loop nor I-40 use exit 11 currently, or are likely to need the number otherwise in the future.

amroad17

I see TDOT carbon copied "Jackson, Miss." instead of putting MS up there.

I believe the EXIT 10B is kept because the exit numbers continue (decreasing) on Sam Cooper Blvd. as the legacy of I-40 as mentioned above.  If anyone who hasn't been on Sam Cooper Blvd. and you are in the Memphis area, make it a point to travel on it.  You will see the "what-could-have-been" pull-through signs at each interchange.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Gnutella

Are the bridges and overpasses seismically reinforced? I heard they recently reinforced the I-40 bridge across the Mississippi River just in case.

codyg1985

Quote from: Gnutella on June 23, 2016, 06:01:57 PM
Are the bridges and overpasses seismically reinforced? I heard they recently reinforced the I-40 bridge across the Mississippi River just in case.

I imagine that is a requirement for all new construction in the Memphis area.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Avalanchez71

Why is that electric sign board "jacked up?"

codyg1985

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 24, 2016, 07:51:56 AM

When those high-density, full matrix color signs are photographed, they often end up looking like that.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

TrevorB

They look normal in person, but they appear pixelated in photos for some reason.

DeaconG

Quote from: TrevorB on June 24, 2016, 12:11:38 PM

They look normal in person, but they appear pixelated in photos for some reason.

It's a disconnect between the refresh rate of the LED elements and your camera's shutter speed.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

froggie

Yep.  Same thing happens with photos of LED traffic signals.  Only way to avoid it would be to use a film camera.

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on June 25, 2016, 07:56:19 AM
Only way to avoid it would be to use a film camera.

What is this antique device of which you speak?  :-D

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

amroad17

Way back in the 1960's, Kodak developed a device that was called a Polaroid Instamatic Camera.  When one aimed this device at what they wanted to and pressed a button, a square "picture" came out and developed right before your eyes!  Later, Kodak developed cameras with something called 35 mm film.  Here you took an alloted number of pictures and took the film to some little building in the middle of the parking lot of some shopping center and they would develop this for you--sometimes within an hour.  You would receive an envelope with your developed photos and the negatives from this roll of film.   :wow:

Sorry, I can't go on any further about this.  Looking back, having film developed seemed like a time consuming process.  The instamatic pictures also were not of great quality either and they would start to turn a yellowish color or fade after a few years.  Anyway, I could not resist answering HB's question in this way.  The thing is we are both the same age and have used these "antique devices" in our lifetime.

Enough of my being a "smart-ass."  Back to our scheduled topic already in progress.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

qguy

Yep.  Same thing happens with photos of LED traffic signals.  Only way to avoid it would be to use a film camera.

No need to use film. Any digital camera that allows you to adjust the shutter speed will do. A longer shutter speed will capture the LED elements just fine.

lordsutch

Quote from: qguy on July 15, 2016, 10:00:01 PM

No need to use film. Any digital camera that allows you to adjust the shutter speed will do. A longer shutter speed will capture the LED elements just fine.
The trade-off is you'd likely have motion blur if the camera isn't stationary.

qguy

Quote from: lordsutch on July 16, 2016, 12:38:08 AM
Quote from: qguy on July 15, 2016, 10:00:01 PM

The trade-off is you'd likely have motion blur if the camera isn't stationary.

True,  but my point was that it's the short shutter speed that causes the weird effect with the LED signage, not the digital vs. film part of the camera. A two-short shutter speed with a film camera will yield the same weird result.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.