News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NJ PASS

Started by jeffandnicole, June 07, 2016, 09:53:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Apparently, NJ is coming out with NJ PASS.  What is NJ PASS you ask?  Great question!

As of right now, there isn't a single thing on the NJDOT website about it...or on the web, for what I can tell!  There is NJPASS - THE New Jersey Proficiency Assessment of State Standards - although I doubt these weigh stations will double as testing sites for elementary and high school students...

The pictures below were taken on I-295 North, just north of the Delaware Memorial Bridge approaching the weigh station.

It clearly is something like PrePass, which is the in-cab transponder truckers use as they approach weigh stations, along with the ability to pay electronic tolls.  Over the past few months, all the various transponders have been installed for such at this weigh station location.  But at least here, it's not called PrePass.  On PrePass's website, they don't have any acknowledgement of weigh station bypassing in NJ either, although their transponder can be used at EZ Pass facilities within NJ.

So, you can at least say you saw it here first...well, at least the part of the signs that weren't installed directly behind tree branches!  There are two signs (just the 2nd one is shown below), both of them partially obstructed until you get close to them.

Sykotyk

I'm fairly certain I saw a NJ Pass sign before somewhere. Maybe I-78. It is strange that they didn't join up with nationally recognized PrePass. Not sure if NorPass is still around, and don't feel like looking. As last time I was in Kentucky they had replaced their Norpass signs with PrePass. They were one of the few states I've ever seen NorPass signed.

dgolub

It could be that it was supposed to say E-ZPass and they goofed.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: dgolub on June 07, 2016, 07:25:38 PM
It could be that it was supposed to say E-ZPass and they goofed.

There's no toll there.  It's a truck weigh station. 

I could see them goofing and meaning to say PrePass, but that's why I checked their site and didn't see anything referring to using PrePass in NJ.

Obviously, someone had to pay for this system, so it's surprising there's not even a contract found via the NJDOT website regarding it.

NE2

Here's all I can find:

http://getbestpass.com/
Nationwide weigh station bypass combined with tolling on one transponder? It might sound like a dream, but with BESTPASS it's reality! PrePass, Norpass, NCPass, and (coming soon) NJPass all on one transponder.

http://www.transcore.ca/partnerships
The program also has weigh station bypass integration. The service is compatible with PrePass, Norpass, NCPass and NJPass.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

jeffandnicole

Quote from: NE2 on June 07, 2016, 09:29:36 PM
Nationwide weigh station bypass combined with tolling on one transponder? It might sound like a dream, but with BESTPASS it’s reality! PrePass, Norpass, NCPass, and (coming soon) NJPass all on one transponder.

What a website.  Tells you absolutely nothing. You want info?  Give them your info first.  I would be seriously scared of doing business with them.

The other website looks a little more legit, although I wonder how they are getting these electronic toll discounts (and what they actually are).

Rothman

Must be a preclearance thing for freight.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

vdeane

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 08, 2016, 10:02:29 AM
What a website.  Tells you absolutely nothing. You want info?  Give them your info first.  I would be seriously scared of doing business with them.
Sounds like car insurance.  You can't just go to the website, plug in some demographic data, and get an estimated rate.  Nope, you have to give them all your contact into and get a quote.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: vdeane on June 08, 2016, 07:54:00 PM
Sounds like car insurance.  You can't just go to the website, plug in some demographic data, and get an estimated rate.  Nope, you have to give them all your contact into and get a quote.

The Geico website was amazingly customer friendly.  The most you had to give them was an email address.  I was able to get an immediate quote online.

They've only emailed me once (I believe, I get so much junk mail I don't tend to notice some more legit things sometimes), but overall they've been hassle-free.

jeffandnicole

Drove by the signs last night; they are now covered in blue tarp.

jeffandnicole

http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/about/press/2016/111816a.shtm

QuoteNew Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) officials today announced the launch of new weigh station technology, NJPass, which allows pre-enrolled commercial truck fleets in New Jersey to bypass weigh stations.

The Department partnered with International Road Dynamics, Inc. (IRD) to develop a system that permits NJPass equipped vehicles to bypass the three inbound weigh stations in the state, located at I-78, I-80, and I-295. This will help save money on fuel and reduce drive times — a significant contributor to shipping costs - while reducing back-ups at weigh stations and improving highway safety.

storm2k

interesting that they didn't include the one on 287 in piscataway. could have helped the traffic that gets created when the thing is open because of the line of trucks waiting to get in there.

SteveG1988

Quote from: NE2 on June 07, 2016, 09:29:36 PM
Nationwide weigh station bypass combined with tolling on one transponder? It might sound like a dream, but with BESTPASS it’s reality! PrePass, Norpass, NCPass, and (coming soon) NJPass all on one transponder.

The other website looks a little more legit, although I wonder how they are getting these electronic toll discounts (and what they actually are).

My company is getting Bestpass.

http://bestpass.com/

More info there.

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.