News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-10 Construction at Baldwin, FL

Started by Fred Defender, July 15, 2016, 10:25:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred Defender

This looks like it is going to be a major project. Signs indicate completion in Summer 2019. I do not know exactly what they are planning. But I trust that they are eliminating the partial cloverleaf which requires northbound US301 (which carries a lot of traffic) to turn left to enter I-10 eastbound. The cloverleaf to exit westbound I-10 to southbound 301 is a potential deathtrap, too. The best of 1950's highway engineering.

In my opinion, they should completely realign 301 to the west of the businesses at the interchange. They should have done this back in 1959/60 when I-10 was originally constructed to place the interchange farther away from the railway yard which necessitated the cloverleaf in the first place.

I drive I-10 every 4-6 weeks on my way to JAX Airport. So it will be interesting to watch as this project progresses. I assume that the Yellow Water Road overpass is to be replaced, also.

Related to this topic...I-10 has been vastly improved since they opened the Hammond Blvd interchange and got rid of that godawful old Marrietta/I-295 fustercluck.
AGAM

jwolfer

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.nflroads.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/Final%2520Handout%25201.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjdpYGVjfzNAhUHeSYKHaZQBdkQFggqMAU&usg=AFQjCNEkCPmavv_We0iWfgIH2tJUwXSWyw&sig2=Z_MFc35G6RHndhKG7LMrqQ

Link to webpage from FDOT. Reconstruction exit an yes it will eliminate left turn from 301 to 10 east.

Also included in PDF is information on Baldwin bypass which will link up with new divided US 301 north of Baldwin. It will have at grade intersection with US 90  with traffic lights, eliminate the 90/301 multiplex.

I just hope it is limited access so it doesn't get clogged with Walmarts etc

Fred Defender

Thanks for the link, jwolfer. I like using the US301/SR200/SRA1A loop to I-95 North as an alternative to I-10/I-295. Except for the reduced speed and one or two traffic lights in Callahan, it is much more laid-back and relaxing with little traffic. It will be even better when this project is finished.
AGAM

jwolfer

Quote from: Fred Defender on July 18, 2016, 10:57:25 AM
Thanks for the link, jwolfer. I like using the US301/SR200/SRA1A loop to I-95 North as an alternative to I-10/I-295. Except for the reduced speed and one or two traffic lights in Callahan, it is much more laid-back and relaxing with little traffic. It will be even better when this project is finished.
I like the widened 301 too. The NW quadrant of 295 is mostly 4 lanes and has heavy truck traffic and is getting more congested. 301 is mostly 65 mph from i95 in Yulee to Baldwin

Fred Defender

Quote from: jwolfer on July 19, 2016, 11:31:03 PM
Quote from: Fred Defender on July 18, 2016, 10:57:25 AM
I like the widened 301 too. The NW quadrant of 295 is mostly 4 lanes and has heavy truck traffic and is getting more congested. 301 is mostly 65 mph from i95 in Yulee to Baldwin

Since you're from Jacksonville, jwolfer, I thought that you could answer this for me, also (even though it isn't directly related to I-10):

How long is the project at I-295 and Commonwealth going to take? As I've mentioned, I drive to JAX Int'l from the Lake Butler area every 4-6 weeks (sometimes more frequently). I swear that that section of 295 has been under construction for at least three years. And it's only about a mile long for crying out loud!
AGAM

jwolfer

I am not sure. I think the original contractor went bankrupt or something, so it sat all torn up for a while with no work.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.