News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Pittsburgh meet?

Started by Alps, July 31, 2016, 11:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

I mentioned the idea last year and it never took off. It's been ages since we've had a Pittsburgh meet. Can someone run with it? Maybe this fills in the October-November slot where we lack meets right now.

dgolub

Quote from: Alps on July 31, 2016, 11:53:43 PM
I mentioned the idea last year and it never took off. It's been ages since we've had a Pittsburgh meet. Can someone run with it? Maybe this fills in the October-November slot where we lack meets right now.

I'd definitely be game for coming to a Pittsburgh meet.  I'm probably not the right person to host, though, since I'm not familiar with the area and would require an overnight trip to scout it out given where I'm located.

AsphaltPlanet

I'd consider doing a pittsburgh meet too, but I don't have too much insider knowledge, aside from having visited a few times.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

bandit957

That's one that might actually be conceivable for me to attend, since it's only about as far as St. Louis.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

hbelkins

If I do something in Lexington, it would be during that time frame.

When does Jeff Kitsko's summer work schedule end? He's the logical person to do a SWPA meet, since he's done all of them (AFAIK) to date.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

noelbotevera

I can scout it out since I only live three hours away, but unfortunately we've used up all our money and thus cannot do road trips like these until next year. I know the area somewhat well, but not as well as one of the admins.

Besides, a 12 year old and his father is probably not a suitable road meet host.

jpi

Just so happens I will be in the Monroeville area of Pittsburgh in 10 days but will be busy with Steel City Con but plan on driving some of the Monfayette on the way up. As for attending a meet, it is up in the air for me since anytime I am in the Pittsburgh area I am confined to the Monroeville convention center all weekend., if it would happen to fall on the Saturday after Thanksgiving I could attend since I will be in central PA around that time. But also keep in mind Jeff Kitsko and Adam Prince would be the "guru's" of SWPA  ;-)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

74/171FAN

I still have not been west of Bedford (barely seeing I-99) so I am out on the hosting side.  I would be more likely able to host a meet involving the Lehigh Valley and northern Philly suburbs.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

rickmastfan67

Well, some of the things I can think of that would be worthwhile to look at would be the brand new Holton Bridge.

We also currently have the construction going on for the extension of PA-Turnpike-576.  And we also have the new route of US-219 being built closing the gap of the freeway between Myersdale and Somerset.  Those are the only major construction projects that come to mind around here at this time.  Oh, can't forget the first DDI being built in Washington PA at the I-70/79 & US-19 interchange.  Think that should be finished this year.

hbelkins

Sudden thought -- Brian Powell is not that far away in Morgantown. Wonder if he'd be familiar enough with PGH to do a meet?

If Ed Szuba wasn't working as an OTR trucker now who relishes what little home time he gets, he'd also be a logical choice to do a meet there.

All I need to clinch P-A's Interstate system is I-579, so I'd be interested for sure.

CanesFan27

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on August 02, 2016, 02:55:20 AM
Well, some of the things I can think of that would be worthwhile to look at would be the brand new Holton Bridge.

We also currently have the construction going on for the extension of PA-Turnpike-576.  And we also have the new route of US-219 being built closing the gap of the freeway between Myersdale and Somerset.  Those are the only major construction projects that come to mind around here at this time.  Oh, can't forget the first DDI being built in Washington PA at the I-70/79 & US-19 interchange.  Think that should be finished this year.

So why don't you host one?

CanesFan27

Quote from: hbelkins on August 01, 2016, 02:30:20 PM
If I do something in Lexington, it would be during that time frame.

When does Jeff Kitsko's summer work schedule end? He's the logical person to do a SWPA meet, since he's done all of them (AFAIK) to date.

Jeff and I alternated for a long while.  1999 Fall was me - a few summer ones in 2001 etc were mine as was the Mon Fay tour in 03 or 04.  We did a lot of coordinating together but a handful I did initiate from Charlotte or Raleigh.

CanesFan27

I would recommend against a crazy driving tour of everything.  Be specific to one area of the region.  That's why we had so many meets from 1999-200x.  There are so many noteworthy items throughout area we can go there the next and the year after etc. 

But that was a different era of meets where what drove the meet was the people in the local area going. If out of towners can make it all the better.   Meets weren't really done so everyone from one side of the Mississippi can go as they are now.

Post Merge: August 02, 2016, 07:57:46 PM

Here's how you'd have the meet.

Theme 576 construction.
Location either at Robinson Town Centre or Moon near Robert Morris - I'm partial to Wings Suds and Spuds but that's because I spent many of hours there in college.

Leave meet and head out to the old airport via Business 376 - can check some of the roads abandoned from the old airport.  Keep going north to where some of the ramp stubs are at north of the airport at the north/west jct of 376 and business 376.

Head east on 376 to existing 576 take to it ends on 22. Take various roads between 22 and 79 checking out construction with stops. Take 79 north to Pa 50 maybe check out old PA 50 see if anything is good there.  Head north on 978 to old 22/30 stubenville pike and take east to robinson town Centre and back to meet site or elsewhere.

There ya go!

Alps

Quote from: CanesFan27 on August 02, 2016, 12:06:17 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on August 02, 2016, 02:55:20 AM

So why don't you host one?
Quote from: CanesFan27 on August 02, 2016, 12:21:00 PM
I would recommend against a crazy driving tour of everything.  Be specific to one area of the region.  That's why we had so many meets from 1999-200x.  There are so many noteworthy items throughout area we can go there the next and the year after etc. 

But that was a different era of meets where what drove the meet was the people in the local area going. If out of towners can make it all the better.   Meets weren't really done so everyone from one side of the Mississippi can go as they are now.

Post Merge: August 02, 2016, 07:57:46 PM

Here's how you'd have the meet.

Theme 576 construction.
Location either at Robinson Town Centre or Moon near Robert Morris - I'm partial to Wings Suds and Spuds but that's because I spent many of hours there in college.

Leave meet and head out to the old airport via Business 376 - can check some of the roads abandoned from the old airport.  Keep going north to where some of the ramp stubs are at north of the airport at the north/west jct of 376 and business 376.

Head east on 376 to existing 576 take to it ends on 22. Take various roads between 22 and 79 checking out construction with stops. Take 79 north to Pa 50 maybe check out old PA 50 see if anything is good there.  Head north on 978 to old 22/30 stubenville pike and take east to robinson town Centre and back to meet site or elsewhere.

There ya go!

Mr. Mast, what do you think? All it takes is a little time with Google Maps, a little field recon to find vantage points, and picking a restaurant.

hbelkins

Quote from: Alps on August 02, 2016, 07:58:32 PM

Mr. Mast, what do you think? All it takes is a little time with Google Maps, a little field recon to find vantage points, and picking a restaurant.

If one has a general idea of what they want to see and can scout out or visualize a routing, then often picking the restaurant is the hardest part.

CrossCountryRoads

Since I'm only about an hour and a half outside of Pittsburgh, I would definitely be I terested in attending if this happens. I like the ideas given so far.

CanesFan27

Meet theme # 2:
Meyersdale/219 Theme

Meet in Somerset - not familiar with any restaurants - I would ask my brother for guidance as he has done some economic development projects there.

Tour:

US 219 and side roads for construction views etc.
Side roads to Mt. Davis highest point in the PA - because hey it's there.
Side roads down to PA 669 Maryland and US 40
US 40 to the Casselman River Bridges (stone arch, through truss (US 40) and I-68 bridges great stopping place with a parking lot etc.
US 40 into PA and maybe along the old National Road alignments with a stop at the Addison Toll house
If you are lucky, Yough Lake is down and you can see the stone arch Big Crossing Bridge submerged under the lake - if nto the new bridge is at least interesting.
Pa 281 back to Somerset with a possible diversion to any covered bridges like this one:

Barronvale Covered Bridge by Adam Prince, on Flickr

This tour really would have something for everyone and a lot of unique stops.

dgolub

Quote from: CanesFan27 on August 03, 2016, 08:27:27 PM
US 40 to the Casselman River Bridges (stone arch, through truss (US 40) and I-68 bridges great stopping place with a parking lot etc.

Some of us did this as part of the Corridor H Road Meet back in May, but most of the group had peeled off by that point.  I'd definitely be game for doing it again.  Overall, it definitely sounds like a fun meet.

hbelkins

Quote from: CanesFan27 on August 03, 2016, 08:27:27 PM
Meet theme # 2:
Meyersdale/219 Theme

Meet in Somerset - not familiar with any restaurants - I would ask my brother for guidance as he has done some economic development projects there.

Don't they have a Hoss's? Whichever Hoss's that we stopped at on the first day of the multi-day meet had the infamous "blue stuff" and "pink stuff" and I want to think that was Somerset.

We also ate lunch at Hoss's at State College, I'm fairly sure.

And speaking of SWPA restaurants, is the rumor true that Frownies are no more at King's?

jpi

H.B. That is correct about the frownies and yes there is a Hoss's in Somerset, I ate there 2 years ago after Steel City Con and I was enroute to Hagerstown, MD that evening and wanted to check out the US 219 construction. There is also an eat 'N Park and I think a few local restaurants but that is all I know, we have a Barrel in New Stanton but that is a little bit of a hike.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

CanesFan27

You wouldn't be able to have a meet and eat n park.  But whomever would host it can decide that.  I can come up with other itinerary ideas if need be

A.J. Bertin

Ever since I started attending road meets over 12 years ago, I've been wanting to attend a Pittsburgh meet. That is an area that I have been wanting to explore more of for quite some time. I would definitely be interested in this. However, if a Pittsburgh meet were to happen this year, I probably wouldn't be able to make it due to other commitments I have going on. If it's held in 2017, I would have a much higher likelihood of attending.
-A.J. from Michigan

Brandon

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on August 15, 2016, 07:35:22 PM
Ever since I started attending road meets over 12 years ago, I've been wanting to attend a Pittsburgh meet. That is an area that I have been wanting to explore more of for quite some time. I would definitely be interested in this. However, if a Pittsburgh meet were to happen this year, I probably wouldn't be able to make it due to other commitments I have going on. If it's held in 2017, I would have a much higher likelihood of attending.

I concur with AJ here.  Pittsburgh would be interesting to go to, as I've only passed by it before.  However, there is no way I'd make it to a meet this year there.  Next spring or summer might be a lot better.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Alps

Quote from: Brandon on August 19, 2016, 01:27:34 PM
Quote from: A.J. Bertin on August 15, 2016, 07:35:22 PM

I concur with AJ here.  Pittsburgh would be interesting to go to, as I've only passed by it before.  However, there is no way I'd make it to a meet this year there.  Next spring or summer might be a lot better.
Given the amount of effort :P I've put into making this happen, I have no issue with moving it.

noelbotevera

Yeah, next spring/summer would be great, since my dad just had a schedule change at work right now and we're also out of money for taking trips this year.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.