News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Kelso/Longview - SR 4/411 junction signs

Started by sp_redelectric, August 06, 2016, 01:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sp_redelectric

Can anyone explain this - in Kelso and Longview, I've noticed that WSDOT has a rather peculiar design for the signs for the junction of SR 4 and 411.

On a single sign panel, the "North SR 411" is on a green background, similar to the signs WSDOT installed in the 1980s and 1990s.  But the SR 4 is the white on a black background, with a back on white background arrow.

I could understand if they were different signs, installed at different times, and for some reason only part of the sign had to be replaced.  But this is a brand new, single sign, mixing two different designs.

myosh_tino

Is this the sign you're referring to... https://goo.gl/maps/Mar6Mu37Pgs ?

The only thing I can think of is the WA-4 assembly is more for reassurance, thus an "independent" mount shield and corresponding black-on-white arrow.  The WA-411 sign is a guide sign directing traffic that wants to get to WA-411, hence the green background.  According to Google Maps, WA-411 is located some 6 blocks to the east of that location.

What I find more curious is the placement of that sign.  Instead of after the intersection with W Main St, I would have put that assembly *before* the intersection.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

TEG24601

They are from two different generations.  The Green from the '90s, and the B&W from the '00s.  Of course the whole thing needs a rethink, perhaps a gantry, with some minor rerouting, and reminders on the light masts.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

roadfro

Quote from: TEG24601 on August 07, 2016, 05:06:00 PM
They are from two different generations.  The Green from the '90s, and the B&W from the '00s.  Of course the whole thing needs a rethink, perhaps a gantry, with some minor rerouting, and reminders on the light masts.

If you're talking about the sign assembly myosh_tino linked to, it's actually a single sign (possibly installed in 2007, if that's a date sticker I see on the back).
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

sp_redelectric

Quote from: TEG24601 on August 07, 2016, 05:06:00 PMThey are from two different generations.

If they were separate panels, then that would be understandable.  But it's one big single piece of aluminum!  That's what shocked me when I saw the sign...

corco

Kind of an odd sign for sure. The NORTH 411 -> on green would be consistent with current WSDOT signing practice. They don't do the green for reassurance shields anymore but still do it for directional signs.

The weird thing here is that (unlike most states) WSDOT doesn't normally also remind drivers to stay straight for the through route (SR 4) at junctions. There are very few instances of that occurring throughout the state, though I believe in those rare instances the typical practice is to do both shields on green.

Doing a quick look- here are the other instances of that type of sign that come to mind readily, though many of these images date to 2008 - but google indicates the signs are still there:

compdude787

What's with the weird-looking font for the numbers in the second picture?

TEG24601

Quote from: roadfro on August 07, 2016, 07:26:29 PM
Quote from: TEG24601 on August 07, 2016, 05:06:00 PM

If you're talking about the sign assembly myosh_tino linked to, it's actually a single sign (possibly installed in 2007, if that's a date sticker I see on the back).

From the image I saw, it looked like two different assemblies.

Looking at the map though, it appears that the SR4 sign indicates it continues, whereas SR 411 should be set as "TO SR 411"
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.