News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

ADHS Corridor A in NC/GA & Spur GA 60/NC 60

Started by hbelkins, August 19, 2016, 02:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

For some reason, it had stuck in my mind that Corridor A entered Georgia from North Carolina by way of NC 60 and Spur GA 60, which intersects GA 60 just a couple of miles north of US 76/GA 515 -- especially since North Carolina's section of NC 60 (which runs from US 64/74 just west of Murphy southwest into Georgia, and is signed for Atlanta) has been widened to four lanes with a continuous center turning lane. I just drove this route this week, returning from a trip to Georgia and South Carolina.

But when I researched Corridor A. I found that it uses NC 69 from US 64 at Hayesville south into Georgia, where it becomes GA 17/515. The corridor, from there, runs northeast along US 64 (which maddeningly was built without a passing lane across the mountain) to Franklin, or southwest to Young Harris, where it joins US 76 to Ellijay and then continues on GA 5/515 to the Atlanta metro area.

Given that NC 60/Spur GA 60 is NOT a part of corridor A, what was North Carolina's rationale for widening its portion of 60?

It should be noted that both the NC 69 and NC 60 intersections are signed for Atlanta, while the US 19/129 intersection is not, even though US 19 also leads to Corridor A at Blairsville.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

sparker

Given that the US 74 (existing/future expressway) corridor, extending east from Columbus, TN is another ARC route (corridor K), a logical guess was that NCDOT was simply attempting to improve capacity and/or safety on a route (NC 60/Spur GA 60) that was already being used as a "shortcut" between the two corridors (I'd place odds against the general driving public being aware of, much less subsequently following,  the routings of either of these legislated corridors).  Obviously, GA has yet to follow suit re upgrades. 

hbelkins

Quote from: sparker on August 19, 2016, 03:21:56 PM(I'd place odds against the general driving public being aware of, much less subsequently following,  the routings of either of these legislated corridors).

I've long advocated some type of uniform logo sign to mark the APD corridors, possibly using the ARC logo with the text Corridor "n"). It should be noted, however, that North Carolina uses a blue "Appalachian Highway" auxiliary marker on most of its reassurance assemblies. (GSV shows one on the NC 69 marker just north of the state line). Georgia has the blue 515 markers, Alabama uses the unique route markers for its corridors, Ohio uses an "Appalachian Highway" banner on portions of OH 32 (but interestingly enough, not its other corridors) and West Virginia uses special corridor mile markers with the letter designation. For uncompleted portions, such as the section of Corridor H that is not yet completed (but is about to get a full designation as US 48, based on something I just read), use a "Future ARC Corridor" sign.

Perhaps someone with some pull ought to suggest this to FHWA.

sparker

I remember the unique "Corridor X" US 78 signs on the completed sections of the pre-I-22 route circa 2002 or so, as well as the GRIP 515 markers north of Atlanta -- but was unaware of any auxiliary signage in NC.  I traveled east to west on OH 32 back in 1989 and remember sporadic "Appalachian Highway" signage, but nothing to reference it to any specific corridor.  I concur with the idea of some sort of uniform signage on most corridors -- but would consider it superfluous on those ARC corridors that are now Interstate routes (22, 26, 68, 86, etc.). 

WashuOtaku

Quote from: hbelkins on August 19, 2016, 02:50:07 PM
It should be noted that both the NC 69 and NC 60 intersections are signed for Atlanta, while the US 19/129 intersection is not, even though US 19 also leads to Corridor A at Blairsville.

Yes it is.

WashuOtaku

But when I researched Corridor A. I found that it uses NC 69 from US 64 at Hayesville south into Georgia, where it becomes GA 17/515. The corridor, from there, runs northeast along US 64 (which maddeningly was built without a passing lane across the mountain) to Franklin, or southwest to Young Harris, where it joins US 76 to Ellijay and then continues on GA 5/515 to the Atlanta metro area.

That section of US 64 has been setup to be widen in the future, which at the moment doesn't push enough capacity to warrant it.  From the 1970s-1980s, NCDOT policy was to realign routes with enough right-of-way for future divided four-lane when traffic and money was available.

hbelkins

Quote from: WashuOtaku on August 19, 2016, 09:56:21 PM

Yes it is.

On a mileage sign, but not from US 64/74.

Quote from: WashuOtaku on August 19, 2016, 10:03:31 PM

That section of US 64 has been setup to be widen in the future, which at the moment doesn't push enough capacity to warrant it.  From the 1970s-1980s, NCDOT policy was to realign routes with enough right-of-way for future divided four-lane when traffic and money was available.

Each time I've crossed that mountain on US 64 between Franklin and Hayesville, I've gotten behind a slow-moving 18-wheeler and have never had an opportunity to pass. A truck lane, at a minimum, should have been built originally.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.