News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

South Dakota Rest Areas

Started by M86, August 25, 2016, 02:21:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M86

SDDOT did a study of the rest areas along I-29 and I-90. 
http://sddot.com/transportation/highways/planning/specialstudies/docs/InterstateRestAreaInvestmentStudyFINALReportSeptember2014.pdf

The final report:
http://www.sddot.com/resources/reports/InterstateRestAreaFinalReport.pdf

It's interesting that the Final Report was done by SDDOT and the Department of Tourism, and not the original consulting agency.
Closing the Hidewood I-29 Rest Area is just stupid.  That would put an almost 100 mile gap between rest areas on I-29 in SD.  In that 100 mile gap, there is literally three interchanges that have services next to I-29.

SD Mapman

Quote from: M86 on August 25, 2016, 02:21:21 AM
Closing the Hidewood I-29 Rest Area is just stupid.  That would put an almost 100 mile gap between rest areas on I-29 in SD.  In that 100 mile gap, there is literally three interchanges that have services next to I-29.
Wouldn't there be Watertown and Brookings?
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

M86

Quote from: SD Mapman on August 25, 2016, 01:53:10 PM
Quote from: M86 on August 25, 2016, 02:21:21 AM
Wouldn't there be Watertown and Brookings?
Cities do not equal rest areas.  And both cities only have one exit with services directly next to I-29.
I know exactly how the SDDOT is doing this study.  I've seen rest areas along Interstates elsewhere close, in Missouri as an example.

I just hate to see it here since we're such a rural state.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.