News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

US 67 southbound Jacksonville Main St & Redmond Rd new overpasses open!

Started by capt.ron, August 30, 2016, 11:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capt.ron

AHTD has opened the new bridges (and roadway) on US 67 southbound in Jacksonville, AR. 2 out of 3 lanes are open; leftmost lane is still blocked off by a Jersey Barrier as that lane is still being worked on. I've already noticed the increased sight-lines when in between the overpasses. Demolition of the old southbound lanes is already happening as I just drove home from North Little Rock and saw a night crew out with machinery.
It's going to be interesting when they start knocking down the old southbound bridges over Main St. and Redmond Rd! Look out below! :O

KamKam

capt.ron

Old northbound bridges over Main St. and Redmond Rd have been ripped out and framework is in place for pouring the new bridges. Also, old northbound lanes are now gone and the base has been installed for the new lanes. It's coming along rather nicely. If they keep the pace and not lollygag around, or get delayed by bad weather, the section should be 100% open by this time next year (Oct, 2017).

cjk374

Is AHTD pouring concrete for the roads or hot mix? Are they using SB2 rock for the base or something else?
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

capt.ron

It looks black so I'm hedging a bet its something like hot mix mixed in with sb2. They put that on the bottom and then put concrete on top.

cjk374

That black stuff is an oil I heard everyone call "prime". They would put that on a base of SB2 rock (mixed with water & run over with a big vibratory roller until a compaction rating of 98%...a spec listed in AHTD's blue book...is achieved) then put 18 inches of concrete on top of that.

I am very happy to hear they are paving it with concrete.   :clap: :clap: :clap:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

capt.ron

Quote from: cjk374 on October 22, 2016, 07:49:56 PM
That black stuff is an oil I heard everyone call "prime". They would put that on a base of SB2 rock (mixed with water & run over with a big vibratory roller until a compaction rating of 98%...a spec listed in AHTD's blue book...is achieved) then put 18 inches of concrete on top of that.

I am very happy to hear they are paving it with concrete.   :clap: :clap: :clap:
That's one thing they got right! Using concrete vs. asphalt. The original lanes have served themselves well. Constructed beginning early 1960's and in use until now.
It's definitely at least 15" of concrete (and more than likely 18"). It should last another 30-40 years. :)
Now, the FUN part is when they begin to widen from north of Main St through the remainder of town up to exit 16. One overpass (James St.) will definitely have to be replaced as AHTD shoehorns in the 2 extra lanes.
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.8753114,-92.1180366,250m/data=!3m1!1e3
Good luck on that project, AHTD!!  :-o

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.