News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Innovative, Unique, or Strange Lane Markings

Started by TEG24601, September 14, 2016, 11:25:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revive 755

Quote from: epzik8 on June 26, 2017, 02:12:06 AM
On Route 17 past Wilmington, North Carolina on the way to Myrtle Beach, they have a plentiful amount of arrows directing drivers to proceed in the direction they're going.

Like these?  I think NCDOT did this to discourage driving the wrong way in the respective lanes.

mrsman

Quote from: jakeroot on June 26, 2017, 02:07:03 AM
The right turn markings at this junction in Johannesburg, South Africa: https://goo.gl/mGNjmw

I guess lead/lag wasn't an option.

Lead/lag is unlikely an option for this intersection since there are median bus lanes.  (the lanes marked in red).  If the opposing left turns had different signal phases, that would leave little time in the intersection for the bus lanes to go.

For a US example, check out hte Chandler Blvd busway (orange line) in North Hollywood, CA.  There is a similar wide median because of bus lanes (and beforehand trolley cars).  All left turns are protected only and share the same time in the signal.  No special lane markings though.

vdeane

There's a lead-lag intersection near where I live, and outside of rush hour, the light intervals are evenly divided between the left turns and the all-straight phase (for the main road; the side road doesn't have an all-straight phase).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

mrsman

Quote from: vdeane on July 02, 2017, 10:59:57 AM
There's a lead-lag intersection near where I live, and outside of rush hour, the light intervals are evenly divided between the left turns and the all-straight phase (for the main road; the side road doesn't have an all-straight phase).

OK.  Let's work on an example to show why lead-lag is especially disadvantageous for a road with median bus lanes.

00 EB green.  EB to NB  green arrow.  WB    red.   WB to SB red arrow.
10 EB green.  EB to NB yellow arrow.   WB    red.  WB to SB red arrow.
13 EB green.  EB to NB      red arrow.   WB    red.  WB to SB red arrow.
15 EB green.  EB to NB        red arrow.    WB green. WB to SB red arrow.

40 EB yellow.  EB to NB       red arrow.   WB green.  WB to SB red arrow.
43 EB red.       EB to NB      red arrow.  WB green.  WB to SB red arrow.
45 EB red.      EB to NB       red arrow.  WB green.  WB to SB green arrow.
55 EB red.      EB to NB  yellow arrow.  WB yellow.  WB to SB yellow arrow.
58 EB red.      EB to NB      red arrow.  WB      red.  WB to SB red arrow. (all-red)

60 N/S green
85 N/S yellow
88 N/S red (all red)
90=00

OK, as you can see, each left turn protected phase has 10 seconds of green arrow, 3 seconds of yellow arrow, and a 2 second red arrow phase for clearance until a different phase is released.  The leading left is followed by westbound traffic.  The lagging left is followd by N/S traffic. 

At the same time, each straight direction on the E/W street has 40 seconds of green and 3 seconds of yellow.  EB from 00-40 green, and 40-43 yellow.  WB from 15-55 green, and 55-58 yellow.  And yes, from 15-40, 25 seconds, both greens overlap and the left turns are prohibited by red arrow.

So straight-through E-W traffic has 40 seconds of green time, but a median bus lane will only have 25 seconds of green time, because neither arrow can be green or yellow at the time when the bus lane has priority.  So here, with a 90 second cycle lenth, buses only get 25 seconds.

Now, let's incorporate having the left turns at the same time, leading lefts.

00 left turns  green arrow.  EB/WB    red.
10 left turns yellow arrow.   EB/WB    red.
13 left turns red arrow.   EB/WB    red.
15 left turns red arrow.   EB/WB    green.

55 left turns red arrow.   EB/WB yellow. 
58 left turns red arrow.   EB/WB      red. 

60 N/S green
85 N/S yellow
88 N/S red (all red)
90=00

OK, as you can see, each left turn protected phase has 10 seconds of green arrow, 3 seconds of yellow arrow, and a 2 second red arrow phase for clearance until a different phase is released.  Same as above.

Each straight direction on the E/W street has 40 seconds of green and 3 seconds of yellow, 15-55 green, and 55-58 yellow.  40 seconds for each direction of travel, including the bus lanes.

So, assuming that we want to give buses some priority, (and that's fair given the provision for bus lanes), the buses will get more green time if the left turn phases overlapped in time and we do not incorporate lead-lag.

Also, I believe that all would agree that we would not  want to incorporate FYAs where there are median bus lanes, because a left turn driver would also have to watch out for buses coming behind them as well as in front of them to make a left turn safely.  I am not aware of any installation of median bus lanes (or light rail/tram etc.) that does not employ protected-only left turns.  [The only exception maybe during late night hours when no buses are run and a rule is in place that no out of service buses can use the bus lanes.]

jakeroot

Recent discussion in this thread has reminded me why I prefer shoulder-based BRT/Tram systems (second to elevated systems, though). No turn restrictions with those.

Quote from: mrsman on July 02, 2017, 12:06:49 PM
Also, I believe that all would agree that we would not  want to incorporate FYAs where there are median bus lanes, because a left turn driver would also have to watch out for buses coming behind them as well as in front of them to make a left turn safely.  I am not aware of any installation of median bus lanes (or light rail/tram etc.) that does not employ protected-only left turns.  [The only exception maybe during late night hours when no buses are run and a rule is in place that no out of service buses can use the bus lanes.]

I thought that I had found an example a while back, but it turns out I didn't:

This intersection in Cape Town, South Africa has two bus lanes leading into it, but they are turn movements (no straight-ahead movements). Before the cars proceed, the buses perform their turns. After that, the right turns get their green arrows, followed by a permissive right turn phase:

https://goo.gl/euJR56

thenetwork

On US-160 WB coming out of Wolf Creek Pass, many of the signs fortruckers have been added as thermal signs embedded in the pavement.  (Truck Speed Limits, Curve Signs some truck regulation signs,...).  Looked like they were just installed within the last month or so.

Revive 755

Quote from: mrsman on July 02, 2017, 12:06:49 PM
So, assuming that we want to give buses some priority, (and that's fair given the provision for bus lanes), the buses will get more green time if the left turn phases overlapped in time and we do not incorporate lead-lag.

And there are that many buses that need the full 25 seconds, much less a full 25 seconds every single cycle?

Plus the base cycle length of 90 seconds would be on the low side for an urban arterial with signal coordination.

jakeroot

Are the hatch/chevron markings along the left edge of one-way roads allowed to be white?

Saw this today in Tacoma, WA. South 14 St at Court A.

Otto Yamamoto

Quote from: jakeroot on August 16, 2017, 08:33:05 PM
Are the hatch/chevron markings along the left edge of one-way roads allowed to be white?

Sometimes NYC streets have white marking on the left of a one way street. Up until a couple of years ago, painted reservations had white hatchind.

STV100-2

roadfro

Nope, not supposed to be white.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

jakeroot

Quote from: Otto Yamamoto on August 17, 2017, 07:57:50 AM

http://i.imgur.com/iDZoHuI.jpg

Sometimes NYC streets have white marking on the left of a one way street. Up until a couple of years ago, painted reservations had white hatchind.

I've seen painted central reservations with white-only markings exactly once: Pennsylvania Ave in DC, between 15 and 3 St SW: https://goo.gl/NN3TRf -- no idea why they did this.

Quote from: roadfro on August 19, 2017, 06:44:37 PM

http://i.imgur.com/iDZoHuI.jpg

Nope, not supposed to be white.

Didn't think so. I thought that, maybe, there was an exception for one-way roads not part of a divided highway system, but I guess not.

jakeroot

A strange lack of markings for this double right movement from an off-ramp. In theory, the two lanes are supposed to merge directly into the two through lanes, but the existence of a third left-turn only lane (the destination of many of those exiting the freeway) often results in those in the right lane, exiting the freeway, being able to turn into either of the through lanes.

https://goo.gl/8YfvyX

MarkF

On HI 380 in Maui, there are several of these in the shoulder:

first one of these:

followed a hundred or so feet later with one of these:

two somewhat close on a small bridge, but in a reverse pattern:

Anyone seen these before, or know what they signify?  They are only on a stretch where a new concrete roadbed was put in a couple of years ago.

jakeroot

Not strictly related to your comments (I'm as dumbfounded as you), but that is a remarkably clear sky in those photographs. I've never been to Hawaii when it wasn't at least partly cloudy, nor have I seen many photos of a completely clear sky.

Scott5114

My guess is they are trying to direct something onto or off of the shoulder by following the line. Bicycles, perhaps? It would make sense to divert bicycles into the mainline near an intersection so turns don't conflict with shoulder-riding bicycles. As for the bridge, I'm not sure, but perhaps there's some condition with the shoulder there (i.e. drainage) that makes it safer for bikes to use the mainline there.

Other possibilities include snowplows (not likely in Hawaii) or street sweepers.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

vdeane

Maybe they're marking the beginning/end of the rumble strips?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jakeroot

Quote from: vdeane on October 22, 2017, 04:35:38 PM

I was thinking so, but the first photo doesn't show any rumble strips on either side of the marking. Unless I just can't make them out.

FWIW, Hawaii does use a lot of markings, some that sometimes seem nonsensical. A lot of the "optional" markings in the MUTCD seem to be used.

thenetwork

Quote from: jakeroot on October 22, 2017, 08:29:43 PM
Quote from: vdeane on October 22, 2017, 04:35:38 PM

I was thinking so, but the first photo doesn't show any rumble strips on either side of the marking. Unless I just can't make them out.

FWIW, Hawaii does use a lot of markings, some that sometimes seem nonsensical. A lot of the "optional" markings in the MUTCD seem to be used.

And in the middle photo there is a lining marking in the 1:00 position just past the light.  Perhaps "No Stopping/No Parking" zones?

MarkF

Quote from: jakeroot on October 22, 2017, 02:57:40 AM
Not strictly related to your comments (I'm as dumbfounded as you), but that is a remarkably clear sky in those photographs. I've never been to Hawaii when it wasn't at least partly cloudy, nor have I seen many photos of a completely clear sky.

As has been the case every time I've been to Maui, there were clouds around Haleakalā.  Here's another one, right where the concrete pavement starts:

MarkF

By the way, I have a video of the complete stretch here:
https://youtu.be/zG9czYgAiD4

Google maps just shows it when the HI 380 roadbed was being updated to concrete.

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on August 28, 2017, 06:50:17 PM
A strange lack of markings for this double right movement from an off-ramp. In theory, the two lanes are supposed to merge directly into the two through lanes, but the existence of a third left-turn only lane (the destination of many of those exiting the freeway) often results in those in the right lane, exiting the freeway, being able to turn into either of the through lanes.

I despise all double lane merges like this. 
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on October 23, 2017, 02:06:44 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on August 28, 2017, 06:50:17 PM

http://i.imgur.com/CsbrWWR.png

I despise all double lane merges like this.

I wouldn't mind them, if they just used some guide lines. They painted one center-line marking right after the stop line, and then gave up.

Michael

I saw this 3D crosswalk on Imgur a few days ago.  I think it would cause accidents due to people braking suddenly because they thought they were going to hit it.

jakeroot

These waiting lines near Cape Town, ZA indicate to drivers turning right that, at least the right lane, should wait in the path of oncoming traffic. :eyebrow:

https://goo.gl/6ZVYpE

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.