News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Longest Interstate Clinched NON-STOP??

Started by thenetwork, September 18, 2016, 09:02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenetwork

Here's a fun highway clinching challenge READ CAREFULLY:

What is the longest interstate that you clinched COMPLETELY in one non-stop trip? 

"Non-Stop" is defined as completing the entire trip:

- Remaining on the main carriageway
- No Exiting/Entering the interstate mid-stream
- No rest break, food stop, potty break, refuel,...

My personal best, clinched this summer: Interstate 76 (Western Segment) -- 188 Miles. (I consider this as a complete clinch as the two segments, though they share a common route number, were never intended to be connected). Ergo, duplicate, never-connecting routes (including 3ds, for that matter) are eligible as well.

Honorable mention, my personal best for about a day and a half:  Interstate 88 (Illinois) -- 140 Miles and a hell of a lot of $$ in tolls!!!

Others??

cappicard

For me, I-435 at 95th St in Lenexa to I-70 west from Bonner Springs to Salina.

169 miles.

iPhone

thenetwork

Quote from: cappicard on September 18, 2016, 09:07:24 PM
For me, I-70 west from Bonner Springs to Salina.

iPhone

Re-read the requirements:  We are looking for a complete end-to-end segment of an interstate.  For an I-70 clinch, you would have to travel the entire distance of I-70 from Cove Fort, UT to Baltimore, MD without stopping.  You want to focus on shorter (likely 500 mile or less) interstates that can be completed on a single tank of gas or less.

cappicard

Would a entire segment of a discontigous interstate count?

In '14, I traveled the entire northern segment of I-49 from just north of Pineville, Missouri up to KCMO.

iPhone

Max Rockatansky

I-96 at 192 miles heading east after a hockey game in Detroit to the family cabin up on Lake Michigan.

cappicard

I've also drove I-135 from Salina to Wichita once.  That's about 95 miles.

iPhone

ATLRedSoxFan

Probably I-90(The Pike), Boston, to Cleveland, OH to I-71.Did refule at the service area on the Thruway on the service are between Rochester and Syracuse.Straight shot from there unless you count I-71 from Cleveland to Lexington, KY via I-75 of course (topped off tank in Cleveland before leaving).

TheStranger

I-680 southbound (71 miles)
I-880 southbound (45 miles)
Chris Sampang

Avalanchez71

Roadsguy

So far with my learner's permit the only Interstate I've clinched fully at all, let alone in one trip, is I-283 in Harrisburg, not that it's a particularly hard Interstate to do so with.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

empirestate

Quote from: ATLRedSoxFan on September 18, 2016, 09:22:35 PM
Probably I-90(The Pike), Boston, to Cleveland, OH to I-71.Did refule at the service area on the Thruway on the service are between Rochester and Syracuse.Straight shot from there unless you count I-71 from Cleveland to Lexington, KY via I-75 of course (topped off tank in Cleveland before leaving).

Impossible; I-90 can't be clinched without refueling; you said yourself that you did so!

iPhone

corco

I've done I-76 west, I-82, I-86 west, and maybe I-17 as far as 2dis. 76 west would be my record as well. Did it in May of 2007 without stopping.

76 West is kind of perfect for this activity - it's long but not so long that you would need to stop for gas, there's really nothing to see along the stretch, and it's usually driven in the context of a much longer roadtrip with Denver metro as the origin or the destination (meaning people would want to just push through and not stop one more time). Probably the biggest place for failure is those folks who clinched almost all of it in one sitting, but not the I-70 to I-25 segment. In my case, I was driving from Morrison to Des Moines, so it was perfect.

Duke87

It took a bit of thinking but I'm pretty sure the western I-86 is the only 2di I have done this with also the longest overall.

Not the sort of thing I'd really explicitly attempt to do, so it would have to be a case of it just happening to work out that way.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

US 81

Jim

Without thinking it through too carefully, I expect my winner is eastern I-88's 120 or so miles.  I'm sure I've done that with no stops a few times.  I drove I-37 in one shot, but there was probably a stop in there.  I probably have 6 or so of them in the 50-100 mile range, like I-12 and a handful of the longer 3dis (I-275 FL, I-295 NJ/DE are among the longest where I'm confident I've done this).  It's not something I've tried to do on purpose.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

vtk

Pretty sure the family minivan took all of Georgia's I-475 non-stop several times on trips to Florida when I was growing up.

My friend Erica drove the entire length of Ohio's I-670 eastbound non-stop while I took pictures, on the first day it was possible to do so, in September 2003. I've done it myself several times since then.

In the last five years as part of my job, I've done I-271 southbound once, I-470 westbound a few times, and I-675 in both directions several times.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

jeffandnicole

wriddle082

I guess it would have to be I-4.

Though I did get both the MO and NW AR sections of I-49 one day, I had to stop for gas in Nevada, MO.

sparker

In 1999, when it was the only section officially commissioned & signed:  I-49 between Shreveport & Lafayette, on a single-day trip from Broken Bow, OK to New Orleans.  Fueled up off I-20 in Shreveport, refueled on US 167 a block or two south of the I-10 interchange. 

Kacie Jane

Quote from: wriddle082 on September 19, 2016, 12:34:08 AM
I guess it would have to be I-4.

I've done I-4, but stopped at the rest area.  So I didn't leave the right-of-way, but it probably still breaks the first and third of the OP's bullet points.

I've done I-405 (WA) multiple times without stopping at all though.  30 miles isn't that impressive, but probably my longest nonstop clinch for this thread.

MNHighwayMan

I-494 and I-694. Once spent two and a half hours traveling the entire beltway around the Twin Cities without stopping.

Another time I drove the whole length of the Twin Cities' I-35W. I've traveled the whole length of I-35E but not in one non-stop trip.

I've also done the whole length of I-394, but I cannot remember if that was all at once or not.

I've done the 14 miles of I-235 in Des Moines as well.

jp the roadgeek

Longest for me would have to be either I-97, I-684, or I-290 in MA.  All are about 25 miles long.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

SteveG1988

All of interstate 57, at least once, southbound.
Close but not quite one: Interstate 84. Due to there being no Pilot Travel Centers anywhere in MA other than i-84, and the nearest customer to a pilot is in Pembroke NH...i normally top off at Sturbridge MA, so i can do a quick turn in NH.

Easy ones.

I68,I78,I22,I27,Future i-72 in MO,Indiana East-West Toll Road (service plazas suck, and i cannot get diesel there for the truck),Western KY Parkway, Bluegrass Parkway, Pennyrile Parkway, and the i-69 segments of each. I24 between I-57 and the GA state Line once. Mass Pike.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

LM117

I-795 in NC (longest)

Other non-stop interstates:

I-280 in OH
I-581 in VA
I-495 in NC ( :bigass:)
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.