News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Old F.A.S. sign

Started by DTComposer, January 14, 2017, 12:39:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DTComposer

This is northbound on CA-17 - after first noticing this sign years ago, I finally got around to taking a picture:

It is pointing towards southeast-bound Summit Road. This is the only one of these I recall seeing in California; but I'm guessing more might still remain in other areas of the country? I'm also wondering what the vintage of this sign might be?

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

US71

FAP marker as you enter Louisiana on US 71
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

wxfree

This topic reminded me of a monument I've seen.  It's the only one like it I've ever seen.  I'm sure there are more, but I saw this one because it's near a stop sign.  It's in Covington, Texas on FM 67 just east of BS (business state highway) 171.  The photographs are roughly level, but the monument is tilted.  The fence post behind it is tilted in the other direction.

A close-up of the text

The monument in its setting, to the right is BS 171, view toward north
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

hbelkins

What, no "FAP" jokes yet?

West Virginia has a few remaining white markers along some of its routes with some kinds of coding on them. I've never really stopped to examine one. I know there's one on I-79 northbound heading out of Charleston. And I have seen a few along the Appalachian corridors with "APD" on them among the other text. Old West Virginia county maps used to have "FAP" and "FAS" designated on certain roads, including a few county routes that were FAS.

Kentucky has a few concrete markers left along its state roads with some sort of imprint. There was one at the intersection adjacent to my home but I never photographed it before it got removed. I need to remember to stop and take a picture of the next one I see. I'm not sure if it's a FAP or FAS designation or not, or what the coding is.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cjk374

My apologies for the necro, but I have had this in my hometown (1 mile from my house) all of my life, and never knew what it was until I joined the forum years ago. I am just now getting around to archiving it.

20170722_183746 by Jess Kilgore, on Flickr
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.