News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

The moderation decision process

Started by hbelkins, January 14, 2017, 02:17:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nexus73

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 16, 2017, 08:56:01 PM
It seems to me that the solution is simply to ban political discussion except when it's clearly transportation-related. That solution worked well on another forum I used to frequent, and the moderators there implemented that rule because political garbage was causing too many hard feelings between people who had once been fairly friendly.

The thing I don't understand is why one member is routinely allowed to ignore a couple of clearly-stated forum rules. Obviously that's the moderators' prerogative, but I got put on the warning list for far less obnoxious conduct than NE2's routine behavior. I mean, really, did anyone really have any doubt that NE2 was going to post his usual profane crap when that thread started? The only question was how long it would take, and frankly I was surprised it took as long as it did.

(FWIW before you-know-who calls me a kook and tells me to fuck off as a Trump supporter, I didn't vote for either Trump or Clinton—I voted Libertarian. But I'm intelligent enough to recognize that the whole POINT of elections is that people are going to have different opinions.)

Yeah, NE2 must have lots of politically in tune friends here.  Typical partisan behavior.  Ignore your side's a-holes and rip the other side's.  Goes with the territory including this one.  But hey, if you all want to play rough, I'm up for some political football!  Like I said earlier, set up a Mad Max forum and when a discussion gets heated, DO NOT CENSOR IT!  Just move it to that forum where it's no holds barred and let 'er rip while freedom rings. 

Snowflakes from the left or right who melt easily can simply avoid the forum.  End of problem!

Hey mods, I have been doing this net thingie for 22 years and been on plenty of forums.  Take my advice.  I do have some experience in these matters, mmkay? 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

slorydn1

As a global mod at another forum I have to say that JN Winkler is spot on with his assessment of the situation above.

I would never openly overrule one of the other mods if they made the decision to close a thread it's closed, period.

The 2 site admins there would never do that to me, either. There have been threads that I have locked that they have posted in, and I never got any blow back from them on that decision.

I also agree that those who are calling for a separate subforum for no holds barred political discussion may be helpful. At my other forum we had a "no political discussion" rule too. It was getting violated in almost every thread-points and bans just weren't doing anything to curtail it either.

One of our site admins came up with the idea to add a subforum to allow just that, and it must be kept in there. We even took the added step where a member had to reach a certain level of standing before they could apply for the password to be allowed into that subforum. We also made it perfectly clear to the "snowflakes" that we weren't going to be sanctioning someone for merely hurting their feelings in that subforum like we would in the rest of the forum, so if you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen. It has worked beautifully, the rest of the forum is so much more pleasant now than it was in 2012-2013. I stay out of the subforum for the most part so I can't really speak to what goes on in there, but we don't have the fights we used to have in other threads (isn't funny how something as simple as a bad set of brake pads could blow up into being the President's fault!)
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

1995hoo

slorydn1's comment reminds me that the other forum I mentioned, on which political discussion is banned, did in fact create a "secret" no-holds-barred politics board, but they don't even publicize the link (hence why I forgot about it–I don't have the link and don't want it). Works pretty well for them, although sometimes the "no politics" can be a little draconian in that even routine jokes aren't allowed. But then, part of the reason for that last part is that certain people are unable to treat anything as a joke and will fly off into rants.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: nexus73 on January 16, 2017, 11:57:58 PM
Hey mods, I have been doing this net thingie for 22 years and been on plenty of forums.  Take my advice.  I do have some experience in these matters, mmkay? 

Because someone's been playing on the internet for 22 years makes one an expert on how forums should work?

I remember using the internet when I started college in 1993, so I have nearly 24 years of internet expertise. Can I outrank you?

texaskdog

Quote from: NE2 on January 15, 2017, 11:03:09 PM
Would be nice if Trump supporters could be banned. Fuck them.

LOL I think that is what he was talking about :)

texaskdog

Quote from: NE2 on January 16, 2017, 10:58:39 AM
Quote from: nexus73 on January 16, 2017, 10:24:12 AM

Let's flip that one around and see how you like it!

Rick
Oh look, someone who thinks Trump is normal.

Someone has some anger issues to work through.

nexus73

Because someone's been playing on the internet for 22 years makes one an expert on how forums should work?

I remember using the internet when I started college in 1993, so I have nearly 24 years of internet expertise. Can I outrank you?
[/quote]

Uh. yes to both...LOL! 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: nexus73 on January 17, 2017, 09:11:18 AM

Uh. yes to both...LOL! 

Rick
[/quote]

I had it back in September 1990 when Prodigy Online went national, even had a 9000k dial-up modem which was the hot $#!+ back in those days.  That would certainly wouldn't qualify as internet expertise since it was my father's deal more so than mine.  It would certainly qualify for internet OG status of the thread so far though with just over 26 years.  :)

hbelkins

Some of the personal attacks here have hijacked what should be a serious discussion on moderation transparency.

And one mod has posted in this thread, and we still don't have any clarification.

Quote from: Alps on January 16, 2017, 07:52:03 PM
I vote to ban everyone who ever starts this thread.

Gee, thanks. You mean you are willing to just accept everything blindly and without question?

Look. Unfortunately, this is all we have. And it's not a fully open forum. MTR is dead. There have only been two posts there since Dec. 20, and one of them was off-topic and the other was Calrog posting his crap. The Yahoo group's on life support and will probably eventually go away; if lack of interest doesn't kill it, then Yahoo itself will probably die off. I'm not going to go off in a huff and create another forum, but if this is all we have, I'd like to see it operate with a bit more transparency. I don't think that's a bad thing.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NE2

Alps is on the side of good in our fight against horrible people who support Trump.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

US71

Easy answer: there is no easy answer.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

texaskdog

Quote from: NE2 on January 17, 2017, 10:54:36 AM
Alps is on the side of good in our fight against horrible people who support Trump.

Trump is on the good side!

kphoger

Quote from: US71 on January 17, 2017, 10:58:51 AM
Easy answer: there is no easy answer.

Is this the official answer?  Can we close the topic now?
Cooperation is inexact.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

Quote from: texaskdog on January 17, 2017, 02:00:53 PM

It's crap like both of these posts that threatens the possibility of clarification and enlightenment. Someone will come and lock the thread, which will require the question to be asked again.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Pete from Boston

The only reasonable thing to say at this point is: Trumpotenuse.

texaskdog

Quote from: hbelkins on January 17, 2017, 02:10:22 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on January 17, 2017, 02:00:53 PM

It's crap like both of these posts that threatens the possibility of clarification and enlightenment. Someone will come and lock the thread, which will require the question to be asked again.

LOL my point exactly.  If NE2 can go on and on I should be able to respond.

nexus73

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 17, 2017, 09:23:51 AM
Quote from: nexus73 on January 17, 2017, 09:11:18 AM

Uh. yes to both...LOL! 

Rick

I had it back in September 1990 when Prodigy Online went national, even had a 9000k dial-up modem which was the hot $#!+ back in those days.  That would certainly wouldn't qualify as internet expertise since it was my father's deal more so than mine.  It would certainly qualify for internet OG status of the thread so far though with just over 26 years.  :)
[/quote]

See if you can beat this!  I was doing FORTRAN and BASIC programming back in 1971.  The FORTRAN was done with IBM cards sent to a mainframe located at a community college.  So slow!  Now for BASIC, we had the most advanced setup at the time, a teletype and modem which connected to another computer about 200 miles away.  All paper, no screen...LOL! 

I have been online longer than most, so there...LOL!

Rick

Max Rockatansky

^^^

Yeah I can't compete with that considering I wasn't born for a couple more years there.  :-D  Besides Prodigy was technically a closed IP for a long time, so more like "intranet" would be the operative term kinda sorta.  Speaking of moderation, talk about having one of the hardest core and oppressive systems I've ever seen.  It got so bad at one point if you swore just a handful of times on a chat room or message board they would suspend your account....for a service you paid for by the minute!  Granted I know the assumption for anything net based was much different in those days, but they literally ruined the social interaction sites by over policing the crap out of them.

Not that any of that is a commentary about this forum...total side tangent.

kphoger

Quote from: nexus73 on January 17, 2017, 02:38:56 PM
IBM

I work in telecommunications, and my primary program–the online database that we access for customer accounts, equipment provisioning, work orders, etc–pops up with a 1980 copyright:

As recently as a few years ago, at least, there was still a non-GUI interface which was green screen and no mouse control.  I'm not sure if any departments still use that interface.  I was recently told that Kansas City is the last market in the nation where Time Warner still uses the program, but it's alive and well in the parent provider that I do most of my work for.  And, actually, the program that Time Warner markets have switched to is frustratingly uncool.  It's supposedly easier to learn from the ground up, but it has nowhere near the level of usefulness as the old one.  It's like a pimped-out MS Access.

But the old one is not user-friendly.  You basically have to memorize a LOT of things in order to use it well.  And the demographic who can successfully master it is slim.  There are plenty of young people who are computer-savvy but didn't learn them before everything was user-friendly; they flounder.  And there are plenty of older people who remember the old days of computers, but they're not very computer-savvy because their generation didn't rely on them; they have trouble learning the basics.  You really have to have been using computers in the early 1990s to succeed at it.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kkt

What is the point of posts like this?  Doesn't persuade anyone and just alienates people who are on the same place in the political spectrum.

texaskdog

We sho
Quote from: kkt on January 17, 2017, 03:54:41 PM

What is the point of posts like this?  Doesn't persuade anyone and just alienates people who are on the same place in the political spectrum.

Anger management issues on this site should be limited to issue such as I-238, I-99.....

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

US 41

Quote from: kkt on January 17, 2017, 03:54:41 PM

If I (or anyone else) was to post something ridiculous like "F Hillary supporters" I guarantee I'd at the very least get an official warning from someone. I don't really understand how one person can be exempt from the rules of the forum for this long. Do any of the mods have an answer?
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

ET21

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 16, 2017, 08:56:01 PM
It seems to me that the solution is simply to ban political discussion except when it's clearly transportation-related. That solution worked well on another forum I used to frequent, and the moderators there implemented that rule because political garbage was causing too many hard feelings between people who had once been fairly friendly.

The thing I don't understand is why one member is routinely allowed to ignore a couple of clearly-stated forum rules. Obviously that's the moderators' prerogative, but I got put on the warning list for far less obnoxious conduct than NE2's routine behavior. I mean, really, did anyone really have any doubt that NE2 was going to post his usual profane crap when that thread started? The only question was how long it would take, and frankly I was surprised it took as long as it did.

(FWIW before you-know-who calls me a kook and tells me to fuck off as a Trump supporter, I didn't vote for either Trump or Clinton–I voted Libertarian. But I'm intelligent enough to recognize that the whole POINT of elections is that people are going to have different opinions.)

But hey, if you all want to play rough, I'm up for some political football!  Like I said earlier, set up a Mad Max forum and when a discussion gets heated, DO NOT CENSOR IT!  Just move it to that forum where it's no holds barred and let 'er rip while freedom rings. 

Rick

I would love to see this. Be the best thing to read while drinking my morning coffee
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

hotdogPi

Two people should probably be given topic bans:

1. NE2 for adding politics to unrelated threads.

2. dzlsabe for the Hypotenuse.

(I'm saying this as someone who strongly opposes Trump. NE2 has just taken it too far.)
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.