News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

US 73 & K7

Started by texaskdog, February 21, 2017, 02:11:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

texaskdog

What is with the duplex?  Why is it necessary?

Scott5114

Until a few years ago, US-24/40/73 turned east and followed State Avenue to I-435. US-73 ended at I-435 while 24 and 40 continued along State Avenue.

As for why US-73 doesn't just end at US-59 in Atchison, who knows. Presumably KDOT wants a N-S US route coming into Kansas City and/or passing through Leavenworth.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

texaskdog

Such an unnecessary route

route56

The US 73/K-7 Duplex between Bonner Springs and Atchison is a remnant of 90 year old highway designations.

K-7 originally ended at US 40 near Basehor. The road from Basehor to Atchison was US 73E and Atchison to Troy was K-16 (the 1920's version of K-16 connected OK 16 near Coffeyville to US 73W at Chanute, then was multiplexed with US 73W and K-4 to Atchison). There was also a K-24 that met US 40 near Tonganoxie.

In 1935, The US 40 N/S spilt and US 73 E/W splits were eliminated with the extension of US 24, US 59, US 69, and US 169 into Kansas. US 69 took over US 73E south of Kansas City, US 59 replaced US 73W, and US 169 followed portions of K-7 and US 73W/59, and replaced K-16 south of Chanute. To avoid confusion, the State Highway Commission elected to re-designate K-24 as K-16, and renumbering the road between Atchison and Troy as an K-7.

(the highway between Troy and the Nebraska state line between White Cloud and Rulo would be built shortly thereafter on an abandoned railroad grade.)

If I were not-n9jig, I'd move the north end of K-7 to it's junction with  US 169 south of Osawatomie, extend US 73 south to Olathe, and give the road north of Atchison a new number (K-6 is available)
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

apeman33

Many parts of K-7 are unnecessary duplexes or odd routings that I'd change if I were in charge. I also have a U.S. 73 extension in mind but that's another topic.

K-7 from Columbus on south duplexes with U.S. 69 south just to end at the Oklahoma State line. That part of it would be decommissioned. The K-7 designation is useless there.

I'd change the routings of K-7 and K-31 in Bourbon County, essentially swapping them between Fort Scott and north of Fulton.

K-7's duplex with U.S. 169 would be dropped and I'd renumber the part between it's junction at I-35 to U.S. 73 (Maybe K-37).

The duplex with U.S. 73 would be eliminated. North of Atchison, that would become another route (K-6 perhaps).

It's amazing how many "personalities" K-7 has. North of U.S. 36, it goes to the Nebraska line and just ends. Between Olathe and the turnpike, it's a four-lane freeway. In northern Bourbon County, it's barely any better than it was when it was first created -- a narrow 2-lane road with no shoulders and a few one-lane bridges.

K-7 is a single designation for several different sections of roads that don't need to be connected to each other.

Scott5114

I think K-7 is an example of one of those routes that someone created because it's neat to have a border-to-border route, even if it doesn't really make sense as a routing.

For another, more silly, example, look south of the border, to OK-3.

Revive 755

Quote from: texaskdog on February 21, 2017, 02:11:08 PM
What is with the duplex?  Why is it necessary?

So gird purists can have false hope that the violation that is US 69 can someday be rectified.  :spin:

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 21, 2017, 07:44:35 PM
As for why US-73 doesn't just end at US-59 in Atchison, who knows. Presumably KDOT wants a N-S US route coming into Kansas City and/or passing through Leavenworth.

I am surprised then KDOT didn't replace K-5 with US 73; this alignment would put US 73 closer to the KC Loop.  Or, for what looks to be a more direct route but would require cooperation with Missouri, have US 73 cross at Leavenworth and replace most of MO 45 and MO 9.

NE2

At least replace Route 273, which was most likely numbered as a branch of US 73.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Scott5114

K-5 would be pretty substandard for a US route between K-7 and I-435. It would definitely require upgrades if it were to be used as US-73 (assuming KDOT were earnest about wanting long-distance travel on that route).

texaskdog

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 11, 2017, 06:57:29 AM
I think K-7 is an example of one of those routes that someone created because it's neat to have a border-to-border route, even if it doesn't really make sense as a routing.

or 789!

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: texaskdog on March 13, 2017, 02:39:32 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on March 11, 2017, 06:57:29 AM

or 789!

And to think 789 was once part of a longer multi-state route. http://www.roadfan.com/mtrfaq.html#67

J N Winkler

After visiting the 45th Infantry Division museum in Oklahoma City, which has a prominent exhibit on the dedication of Oklahoma SH 3 to said Division, I suspect it would be quite controversial to rationalize the highway designation.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Scott5114

Quote from: J N Winkler on March 13, 2017, 11:44:37 AM
After visiting the 45th Infantry Division museum in Oklahoma City, which has a prominent exhibit on the dedication of Oklahoma SH 3 to said Division, I suspect it would be quite controversial to rationalize the highway designation.

I doubt the average Oklahoman realizes we even have a Highway 3.

texaskdog

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 14, 2017, 12:53:15 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on March 13, 2017, 11:44:37 AM

I doubt the average Oklahoman realizes we even have a Highway 3.

Is it supposed to be some major route everyone travels????

J N Winkler

Quote from: texaskdog on March 14, 2017, 08:15:41 PMIs it supposed to be some major route everyone travels????

I think what Scott means is that it basically has no independent existence west of US 81 just south of Okarche (northwest of Oklahoma City), since it is completely covered by route overlaps all the way to the Panhandle.  However, it is on its own for considerable lengths in southeastern Oklahoma (Choctaw and Chickasaw country), and it is the only border-to-border highway that goes all the way across former Indian Territory, former Oklahoma Territory, and former no-man's-land (now the Panhandle).
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Scott5114

And then the independent segment between Okarche and Oklahoma City is near-universally referred to as "Northwest Expressway". After that it's concurrent with three interstates, splits into two, and starts concurring with US routes again. 3W is by itself between Asher and Ada (a segment which was once SH-13), and then it meets up with its other half and starts to follow US-377. It's not that until it splits away from US-377 at mile 446 that it really "comes into its own", so to speak.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.