News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Would it be fesible to toll I-49?

Started by TheArkansasRoadgeek, March 13, 2017, 03:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby5280

Intern all you like within that organization. The real problem resides in the absolute idiocy of the American Public. As the years pass the less and less respect I have for my fellow IDIOT countrymen. And they really are idiots. I would be scared at seeing just how much of our general public failed at general math, much less things like algebra, trigonometry, calculus, etc. Even if these idiots got through those courses okay they're still living in absolute mathematical denial of reality. I feel like they need a drop kick to the head to wake them up already. Concussing them shouldn't be a worry for just how stupid they are. A shock to the system is badly in need of order. Anything to get any sort of light of reality onto the real budget situations going on.

We have runaway cost inflation taking place in infrastructure. The United States is very rapidly losing its ability to build any big things. Meanwhile our average wage growth in the face of all this inflation taking place in key, very painful areas, is very pathetically slow. This nation has a bunch of price bubbles badly in need of destroying.

The Ghostbuster

There's no hope for humanity, is there?

Bobby5280

If voters can't grasp simple mathematics this nation will have very rough times ahead of it. Voting in people who preach ideology and pander for votes, telling people only what they want to hear rather than the truth, only puts off the inevitable.

US71

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 20, 2017, 04:36:16 PM
There's no hope for humanity, is there?

A wise old Doctor once said "while there's life, there's hope"
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

dfwmapper

Quote from: sparker on March 16, 2017, 05:23:06 PM
Quote from: kphoger on March 16, 2017, 04:30:18 PM
Quote from: IDriveArkansas on March 16, 2017, 01:02:58 PM
What do residents of a state that has either a turnpike or just a tolled road in general feel is a reasonable toll rate(s)?

I feel like $5 per 100 miles is appropriate, with $7 or $8 per 100 miles acceptable if the terrain and alternate routes make it worth the extra.

5-6 cents per mile ($5-6/100 mi. as per above) is about what OK charges on most of their toll facilities; it's likely that if a long-distance toll route were to be deployed in neighboring AR, they'd utilize the OK rates as a form of baseline.
Remember that what one feels and what will actually build the road may be two very separate things. Oklahoma long ago paid off the construction debts on the major (i.e. I-44) turnpikes, so they're largely profit centers except for the occasional need to repave, put up cable barriers, rebuild toll plazas, etc., with the extra revenue paying off the more useless turnpikes (as I and others already commented on). I-49 is going to be new construction through rough terrain, meaning that if it was built as a toll road, it would likely end up more in line with Texas's urban toll roads, somewhere in the 12-15c per mile range. And, since it'll largely be serving truck traffic between KC/NWA and either New Orleans or the I-69 system in Texas, they'll have to be very careful to balance truck tolls against the time and fuel cost of shunpiking.

Road Hog

Walmart will make sure that I-49 is not tolled at any length. Besides that, now that one of NWA's own is governor, I-49 should be getting top priority going forward.

US71

Quote from: Road Hog on March 26, 2017, 04:32:07 AM
Walmart will make sure that I-49 is not tolled at any length. Besides that, now that one of NWA's own is governor, I-49 should be getting top priority going forward.

Wal-Mart is getting their own exit off I-49. They are also getting a private toll road to XNA off the new 412 Bypass.

sparker

Quote from: US71 on March 26, 2017, 09:24:31 AM
Wal-Mart is getting their own exit off I-49. They are also getting a private toll road to XNA off the new 412 Bypass.

The only question I have about this is: will the signage for such be a corporate-matching Big Blue Sign in place of the usual BGS?  :hmmm:

vdeane

Interstates are not permitted to have exits directly serving private businesses.  Likely the "WalMart exit" is really an exit to a local road that is near WalMart and otherwise wouldn't have an exit.  As such, the sign would be a normal BGS.

Heck, one of our reference routes here serves a mall (and only the mall), and it uses a BGS instead of a blue sign.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

I-39

I don't think I-49 would generate enough revenue to build the section between Fort Smith and Texarkana. Plus, I doubt Arkansas politicians would be willing to vote for a proposal, considering any attempts to raise revenue for projects is like pulling teeth these days.

Revive 755

Quote from: vdeane on March 26, 2017, 06:45:46 PM
Interstates are not permitted to have exits directly serving private businesses.

If this is the case, then Missouri must not have gotten that memo, since I-170 pretty much has a private exit to Boeing, and I-270 has a ramp that splits with one branch going into a mall parking lot.

US71

Interstates are not permitted to have exits directly serving private businesses.  Likely the "WalMart exit" is really an exit to a local road that is near WalMart and otherwise wouldn't have an exit.  As such, the sign would be a normal BGS.

Heck, one of our reference routes here serves a mall (and only the mall), and it uses a BGS instead of a blue sign.

The 8th street exit will primarily help Wal-Mart Corporate HQ but is being as a city street with state and local  money. But hardly anyone is on that street unless they have business with the Evil Empire.

The road off the 412 Bypass will be a privately funded tool road to XNA, taking traffic off the cow trails ;)

vdeane

I think many mall places have the ring road as a "public" road to get around that.  Or it could just be a newer prohibition.  Or up to the individual FHWA office; different states don't necessarily get away with the same things.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kphoger

Quote from: Revive 755 on March 26, 2017, 09:54:39 PM
Interstates are not permitted to have exits directly serving private businesses.

If this is the case, then Missouri must not have gotten that memo, since I-170 pretty much has a private exit to Boeing, and I-270 has a ramp that splits with one branch going into a mall parking lot.

If the I-270 one you're referring to is Exit 9, then I note the split goes to the named street of West County Center Drive, on which it's possible to bypass the mall and, for example, go south on Ballas Road.  I am not having any luck, however, determining if that street belongs to the city, county, or otherwise.

I think the I-170 example definitely qualifies, though.  It's signed "Boeing" and the street it serves only goes to Boeing.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.