News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

2018 Rand McNally Road Atlas

Started by US 41, March 26, 2017, 02:11:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 41

It's scheduled to be released on April 17th.

I haven't really kept very good track of road projects over the past year. I'm pretty sure that I-555 and the new US 67 extension up to Walnut Ridge, AR will be shown in the new atlas. The new Lawrence, KS bypass should also be shown.

Last year I emailed Rand McNally and recommended that MX 54 from the NL/Zac state line to Ciudad Zacatecas should be shown in orange (other multilane highway). Same with MX 57 from Saltillo to SLP and with MX 49 from Zacatecas to SLP.

Other than that it looks like in about a month I'll make my annual trip to Plainfield to go pick one up.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

SimMoonXP

You are right, it is nearly around the corner! It will likely (high chance) add few National Monuments in southern California for 2018 edition! Here is the list that I would like to see the 2018 edition are: I-580 freeway completed early-mid 2017 in Carson City, NV; Maybe I-11 complete in Boulder City (June 2018); CA-11 in San Diego inset (completed in early-mid 2016); Loop 303 South extension in Phoenix Inset for I-10 to Van Buren St/Yuma Rd (due complete 2017-18); Blue Dashed line for future CA-58 (Centennial Corridor) in west of CA-99 in Bakersfield, CA inset; 91 express lane should be add green line in middle of 91 freeway in Los Angeles Metro inset from I-15 to CA-55 freeways.

Here is the website link as source and image too:
https://www.amazon.com/2018-Rand-McNally-Atlas-Mcnally/dp/0528017314/ref=s9_simh_gw_g14_i1_r?_encoding=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=RHNMFK7NVAA7NHHHYS16&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=781f4767-b4d4-466b-8c26-2639359664eb&pf_rd_i=desktop

Brandon

Already!?!  Would it kill them to wait until, say November to release it?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

oscar

Quote from: Brandon on March 26, 2017, 05:07:13 PM

At least RMcN didn't release the 2018 edition in November 2016. Given the trend line, something like that is bound to happen one of these years.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

nexus73

Quote from: oscar on March 26, 2017, 05:12:12 PM

At least RMcN didn't release the 2018 edition in November 2016. Given the trend line, something like that is bound to happen one of these years.

Get time looped enough and we'll have Back To The Future atlases...LOL!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

epzik8

From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Brian556

Quote from US 41:
QuoteI emailed Rand McNally

What's their email address? I couldn't find it

Mr. Matté

Quote from: Brian556 on March 27, 2017, 01:45:19 AM
Quote from: US 41I emailed Rand McNally

Sorry, no emails; you have to visit in person:

txstateends

Pretty waterfall on the cover, but it's not supposed to be a waterfall atlas!  Yeah, I see the bridge above it, but for what little there is of it, it might as well be a foot bridge.  Guess I'll have to wait till a Walmart near me has it in stock, which will be a few months from now I'm afraid...
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

US 41

Quote from: Brian556 on March 27, 2017, 01:45:19 AM
Quote from US 41:
QuoteI emailed Rand McNally

http://www.randmcnally.com/support/tell-rand

Quote from: txstateends on March 27, 2017, 07:22:09 AM
Pretty waterfall on the cover, but it's not supposed to be a waterfall atlas!  Yeah, I see the bridge above it, but for what little there is of it, it might as well be a foot bridge.  Guess I'll have to wait till a Walmart near me has it in stock, which will be a few months from now I'm afraid...

The 2017 version shows a light house on the rocky coast of an ocean.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

Henry

I can't wait to see what they have this time around!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Mapmikey

That actually is a foot bridge - about 1/4 mile up the trail from the bottom of the waterfall.  It is Multnomah Falls in Oregon not far from Portland.  The road that goes by here (Historic US 30) is a tremendous drive with several waterfalls easily accessible.  I-84 has a parking area for Multnomah as well...

The Ghostbuster

I have marked April 17 on my calendar. Thanks for the update!

nexus73

Just get whatever version of the 2018 atlas you want on Amazon folks.  Problem solved!  I'm going to buy two different kinds, then offer my best friend his choice of the one he wants and I'll keep the other.  Win-win!

Rick

US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Bickendan

Quote from: Mapmikey on March 27, 2017, 09:40:36 AM

That actually is a foot bridge - about 1/4 mile up the trail from the bottom of the waterfall.  It is Multnomah Falls in Oregon not far from Portland.  The road that goes by here (Historic US 30) is a tremendous drive with several waterfalls easily accessible.  I-84 has a parking area for Multnomah as well...
RMN put Multnomah Falls on the cover again? They did that in 2005.

sparker

The release date has been in April or early May of the previous year for at least 10 years now -- which is the earliest general release period to date.  I remember when I was in college and started buying these things on my own about November of each year, which was about when they were released back then;  atlases prior to '67 were usually holiday gifts from my parents.  If I were lucky, I'd get the Gousha for my birthday (right after Thanksgiving) and the McNally for Christmas.  Liked Gousha for readability and detail; but the McNally, after about 1959, started showing the future Interstate routes -- either over existing routes or via triple-dashed lines.  Two atlases -- best of both worlds to a roadgeek kid in the 60's!

nexus73

Quote from: sparker on March 28, 2017, 02:23:14 AM

The release date has been in April or early May of the previous year for at least 10 years now -- which is the earliest general release period to date.  I remember when I was in college and started buying these things on my own about November of each year, which was about when they were released back then;  atlases prior to '67 were usually holiday gifts from my parents.  If I were lucky, I'd get the Gousha for my birthday (right after Thanksgiving) and the McNally for Christmas.  Liked Gousha for readability and detail; but the McNally, after about 1959, started showing the future Interstate routes -- either over existing routes or via triple-dashed lines.  Two atlases -- best of both worlds to a roadgeek kid in the 60's!

I always liked Gousha's graphics the best.  Their last atlas came out in 1996, so I bought one on eBay as a reminder of what a nicely done map looks like. 

Rick

abqtraveler

Quote from: nexus73 on March 28, 2017, 12:41:18 PM
Quote from: sparker on March 28, 2017, 02:23:14 AM

I wonder if the new 2018 Road Atlas will have Interstate 14 in central Texas added to it.

I always liked Gousha's graphics the best.  Their last atlas came out in 1996, so I bought one on eBay as a reminder of what a nicely done map looks like. 

Rick
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

Roadgeek Adam

I guess the question is why do we need a Rand McNally Atlas anymore? It may be nice for some people, but for me, I like having 50 states of paper maps in my car. Hell, I have a bucket of over 600 in my car.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Rothman

It's a convenient, large scale collection of state maps.  More handy than unfolding a state map.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: Rothman on March 30, 2017, 06:15:00 PM
It's a convenient, large scale collection of state maps.  More handy than unfolding a state map.

Understood, but man, I've never been a fan of RMcN maps. Just look really low class compared to state maps.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

nexus73

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on March 30, 2017, 06:13:09 PM
I guess the question is why do we need a Rand McNally Atlas anymore? It may be nice for some people, but for me, I like having 50 states of paper maps in my car. Hell, I have a bucket of over 600 in my car.

Oh to remember when we had really good Oregon maps and also ones dedicated for PDX!  California state maps were nice but getting one for each major city was quite the deal which made navigating them much easier.  Yeah, I can see why you'd carry 600 folding pieces of paper!

Rick

sparker

Quote from: nexus73 on March 30, 2017, 06:50:17 PM

Oh to remember when we had really good Oregon maps and also ones dedicated for PDX!  California state maps were nice but getting one for each major city was quite the deal which made navigating them much easier.  Yeah, I can see why you'd carry 600 folding pieces of paper!

Rick

Just ordered my usual 2 copies of the new RmcN -- one for home, one for the car.  CSAA/ACSC regional and local maps fill the side pockets in the door plus the flap behind the drivers' seat.   I tend to get my AAA eighty-buck membership back in maps alone (plus the occasional tow!). ;-) 

Bickendan

Quote from: nexus73 on March 30, 2017, 06:50:17 PM
Rest in piece, Thomas Guide.

Rick

hobsini2

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on March 30, 2017, 06:16:43 PM
Quote from: Rothman on March 30, 2017, 06:15:00 PM

Understood, but man, I've never been a fan of RMcN maps. Just look really low class compared to state maps.

Some states are better than others.
Illinois, Wisconsin and Iowa are really good. Indiana in the last decade has gone from being good to poor when they cut the number of insets down to Indianapolis only.

At least with RMcN, there is consistency from state to state.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.