News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What happened to your classmates after high school?

Started by ColossalBlocks, April 27, 2017, 07:59:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Rothman on May 01, 2017, 08:16:58 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 01, 2017, 07:57:20 AM
Quote from: LM117 on April 30, 2017, 06:31:02 AM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on April 28, 2017, 09:21:25 PM
I sense that for most of us, high school wasn't exactly our glory years.

My freshman and sophomore years kinda sucked since I kept getting put in classes with the same assholes that I had beef with, but the last two years weren't really bad at all.

Middle school, on the other hand, was pure hell.
Why does everyone think that middle school is hell?
It is tautologoical.
What does tautological mean?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

MNHighwayMan

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 01, 2017, 03:00:29 PM

My freshman and sophomore years kinda sucked since I kept getting put in classes with the same assholes that I had beef with, but the last two years weren't really bad at all.

It is tautologoical.

Circular reasoning, e.g. using elements of an argument to support the argument itself.

kphoger

I, for one, know perfectly well what "tautology" means, but I'm still trying to figure out how saying middle school is hell fits the definition.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Rothman

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on May 01, 2017, 03:12:01 PM

It is tautologoical.

Circular reasoning, e.g. using elements of an argument to support the argument itself.
I was using the logical definition, not the rhetorical.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ET21

I still hang out with a couple people from high school. We do weekly dinner runs every Friday. Found out one of my fellow classmates got locked up for DUI manslaughter in Texas  :wow: :no:
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

kkt

A couple are dead, a couple were tremendously successful, most are somewhere in between.

sparker

AFAIK, one dentist, one pro political campaign manager (at one time my best friend), one Playmate of the Month, and one successful actress who peaked in the late '70's.  The other 370+ from my graduating class -- just lost track.  Supposed to have my 50th reunion this year; have absolutely no intention of attending or being anywhere near my hometown while it occurs.  Spent my high school years waiting to get the fuck out of there (and I don't think I'm alone in that seniment!).

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: sparker on May 02, 2017, 03:59:47 AM
AFAIK, one dentist, one pro political campaign manager (at one time my best friend), one Playmate of the Month, and one successful actress who peaked in the late '70's.  The other 370+ from my graduating class -- just lost track.  Supposed to have my 50th reunion this year; have absolutely no intention of attending or being anywhere near my hometown while it occurs.  Spent my high school years waiting to get the fuck out of there (and I don't think I'm alone in that seniment!).
I'm scared.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

SP Cook

Quote from: sparker on May 02, 2017, 03:59:47 AM
Supposed to have my 50th reunion this year; have absolutely no intention of attending or being anywhere near my hometown while it occurs.  Spent my high school years waiting to get the fuck out of there.

Amen brother. 

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on May 01, 2017, 05:43:37 PM
Quote from: AlexandriaVA on May 01, 2017, 03:12:01 PM

It is tautologoical.

I was using the logical definition, not the rhetorical.

I still don't get it (the logical definition is the one I'm more familiar with anyway).  A logical tautology is a statement that is true no matter the conditions–for example (A v ~A).  Please enlighten me here...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kkt

I thought high school was a big improvement on middle school.  Somewhat more maturity from the other students.  However, I was certainly not eager to revisit high school afterwards.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kkt on May 02, 2017, 02:26:42 PM
I thought high school was a big improvement on middle school.  Somewhat more maturity from the other students.  However, I was certainly not eager to revisit high school afterwards.
Middle school was actually pretty good for me, so if high school is better than that's good.

inkyatari

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 02, 2017, 03:09:59 PM
Quote from: kkt on May 02, 2017, 02:26:42 PM
Middle school was actually pretty good for me, so if high school is better than that's good.

It varies from person to person.  I know that I was probably the most picked on person in my class. I won the award in my class for being the "Most shy"  I went through a LOT of my life with bitterness towards my classmates.

I have since learned that not only is bitterness a waste of time, but also that later in life that many of your classmates change.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

MNHighwayMan

I hope you pay attention in English class so that the distinction between "then" and "than" is well understood.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on May 03, 2017, 06:07:01 AM

I hope you pay attention in English class so that the distinction between "then" and "than" is well understood.
English is my worst subject.

kkt

I hope your high school English classes will help.  Being able to write emails or memos that are free of common errors will help you in most jobs.

hbelkins

Quote from: kkt on May 03, 2017, 12:20:55 PM
I hope your high school English classes will help.  Being able to write emails or memos that are free of common errors will help you in most jobs.

Unless you're an engineer. I've found that many of them send emails that are riddled with grammatical errors.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jeffandnicole

The absolute best class I ever took was a typing class.  It gets one out of the 2 finger type method, and into regular typing without looking at the keyboard method.  And it's used every day.

DaBigE

Quote from: hbelkins on May 03, 2017, 12:31:32 PM

Unless you're an engineer. I've found that many of them send emails that are riddled with grammatical errors.

Emails and reports, my boss is a habitual offender. It's down-right embarrassing having your name be attached to many of his emails or reports to clients.  :banghead:
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Roadgeekteen

I will use spellcheck or a grammar checker site.

kkt

Quote from: hbelkins on May 03, 2017, 12:31:32 PM

Yeah, but the ones who do write literate emails can rise to management.

Darkchylde

I was dealing with a lot of crap around that time. My gender identity issues were hitting me full force, my mother had passed away, my father was back in jail again, and I was still recovering emotionally from a sexual assault.

I didn't stand a chance of making it through high school at all with all of that.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Darkchylde on May 03, 2017, 04:54:21 PM
I was dealing with a lot of crap around that time. My gender identity issues were hitting me full force, my mother had passed away, my father was back in jail again, and I was still recovering emotionally from a sexual assault.

I didn't stand a chance of making it through high school at all with all of that.
Wow. Sorry, that sounds really tough.

Max Rockatansky

Apparently one of them is the high school softball coach.  Or at least that is what she posts her profession on Facebook as...just got a friend request today...weird....

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.