News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What happened to your classmates after high school?

Started by ColossalBlocks, April 27, 2017, 07:59:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: triplemultiplex on April 28, 2017, 09:21:25 PM
I sense that for most of us, high school wasn't exactly our glory years.

When my family moved from suburban Chicago to rural Kansas back in 1990 (in between third and fourth grade), I had a spiked mullet, wore tie-dye and jewelry, and had no interest in contact sports.  To a lot of people, that meant I was gay, and rural Kansas is not exactly a haven of tolerance.  Besides that, I went up one grade level during English class (having already covered my grade level's material in Illinois), so kids immediately thought I felt superior (and they were probably correct to some degree).  Their dislike of me persisted through high school, and I quickly lost interest in gaining their friendship.  I had a small handful of friends who shared some of my interests, and I enjoyed the company of my parents' friends, so I just grinned and bore it.

Going off to college was a game changer for me.  When I first went off I sank down into loneliness, insecurity, and possibly even mild depression.  But after a couple of life-changing moments–a religious conversion (ironic, considering I was enrolled as a pre-seminary student) and falling in love with a girl–I found myself able to open up and reinvent myself.  I was able to define myself however I wanted, with a fresh start, to people who had zero preconceptions about me.  Being able to reinvent myself like that developed a confidence in myself that I had never known in high school.  That short period of time was a turning point in my life in more than one way.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadman65

High School was not the best for me, but two people I went to school with I still keep in touch with to this day though.

Too many bad memories for me as I struggled to make it through.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: roadman65 on May 05, 2017, 10:24:33 PM
High School was not the best for me, but two people I went to school with I still keep in touch with to this day though.

I am going into high school next year! Stop scaring me!
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

TheHighwayMan3561

Our class (22 people) wasn't a tight-knit group, which is being nice.

One friend I still talk to multiple times a week has moved back to Toronto where he was born and much of his family lives.

Another friend who I talk to much less has sort of drifted for a few years but is now in nursing school in the Minneapolis area and appears to be doing well.

One is based out of Evanston where she has remained after attending Northwestern. She's involved in some kind of music business.

Another lives in Utah as a snowboard instructor.

I don't know what any of the others are up to.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

DaBigE

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 05, 2017, 10:47:58 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on May 05, 2017, 10:24:33 PM

You do hopefully realize the members of this forum make up a very small percentage of everyone that has ever gone through high school. While there are a lot of outside influences, it is still largely what YOU make of your time there that will determine your experiences.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

kkt

Quote from: DaBigE on May 06, 2017, 02:47:22 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 05, 2017, 10:47:58 PM
You do hopefully realize the members of this forum make up a very small percentage of everyone that has ever gone through high school. While there are a lot of outside influences, it is still largely what YOU make of your time there that will determine your experiences.

Roadgeekteen, motivational speakers are one of the things you'll have to struggle with :/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.