News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Oldest State License Plate Designs In Active Circulation

Started by thenetwork, May 03, 2017, 09:53:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

epzik8

Maryland is sort of a current example, but let me explain. In 1984, Maryland used a 350th anniversary plate honoring its 1634 founding as a British colony. About 1987-ish, this design fully replaced the previous one as the standard-issue plate. It went almost unchanged, except for the addition of the state website and the temporary move of production to New Jersey (giving the characters an odd look for Maryland plates) until 2010, when the War of 1812 plates arrived. Just last fall, the 1812 plates were replaced by the "MD Proud" ones, which are something of a return to the 350th Anniversary-based design, but with "Maryland" printed in red, and the Maryland flag at the bottom of the plate. So that makes about a combined 27 years for what started out as the 350th Anniversary design.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

slorydn1

Why all the hate for the NC design? It's timeless and we love it!

Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

renegade

Quote from: slorydn1 on May 09, 2017, 04:07:30 AM

[snip]

It's not timeless, it's ancient!
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

kphoger

Quote from: epzik8 on May 08, 2017, 10:08:43 PM
Maryland is sort of a current example, but let me explain. In 1984, Maryland used a 350th anniversary plate honoring its 1634 founding as a British colony. About 1987-ish, this design fully replaced the previous one as the standard-issue plate. It went almost unchanged, except for the addition of the state website and the temporary move of production to New Jersey (giving the characters an odd look for Maryland plates) until 2010, when the War of 1812 plates arrived. Just last fall, the 1812 plates were replaced by the "MD Proud" ones, which are something of a return to the 350th Anniversary-based design, but with "Maryland" printed in red, and the Maryland flag at the bottom of the plate. So that makes about a combined 27 years for what started out as the 350th Anniversary design.

I was just reading about that before bed last night.  You might be a roadgeek if...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SP Cook

Quote from: slorydn1 on May 09, 2017, 04:07:30 AM

IMHO,

- As stated, it is not timeless, it is just old.
- NC is a big state, with a LOT of history.  LOTS of great things have happened there.  You have been stuck on "two guys from Ohio invented the airplane here" for 35 years.  One, move on.  Two, "two guys from Ohio invented the airplane here" is the kind of thing that a state like mine, a small, insignificant and, pretty much failed, state where not much has ever happened, would get hooked up on.  Not a mega successful state like NC.  Pick something else. 
- The grass in the scene represents one part of NC.  The vast majority of the state does not look like that.
- It is too busy.  Too much going on in the background.
- Obviously there is a pissing contest going on between UNC (baby blue), Duke (sorry HB) (regular blue) and NC State (red).  Compromise plates (with subtile changes over the years depending on who is governor) with all three colors is too many colors that don't go together naturally.

kkt

License plates aren't supposed to be advertisements from the Tourism Board or lessons in state history.  Just the number in one color and the background in another color and the name of the state, please.

RG407

Florida used to tweak the plate design every 5 to 7 years, but we've been stuck with the hideous orange blossom design for more than 13 years.  There was talk a few years ago of getting a totally new design but that got derailed.

sparker

California is now issuing new plates based on the 1963-design yellow-orange lettering on a black plate but with either current 7-character numbers (a particular sequence has been set aside for these plates) or personalized ID.  More often than not these show up on vintage cars -- although I've seen more than one Tesla (at least in these parts) sporting these extra-cost plate options.  This particular color combination appears to be widely viewed, at least in auto-enthusiast circles, as one of if not the most attractive or distinctive CA plate issued in the postwar years.   

mgk920

How long has Hawaii been issuing their current 'rainbow' design?

Mike

jwolfer

Quote from: RG407 on June 12, 2017, 12:19:54 AM
Florida used to tweak the plate design every 5 to 7 years, but we've been stuck with the hideous orange blossom design for more than 13 years.  There was talk a few years ago of getting a totally new design but that got derailed.
I agree... I hate websites on tags as well. The myFlorida.com has to go.

I liked the red/orange lettering from the late 1980s/early 90s..

I also miss the county name. You can still get county name(except for Miami-Dade i think) but most people or dealers choose "Sunshine State" or "In God We Trust"

LGMS428

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.