News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Favorite era in traffic signal history

Started by traffic light guy, May 05, 2017, 11:45:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Favorite era

1920s and 1930s
0 (0%)
1940s and 1950s
0 (0%)
1960s
3 (23.1%)
1970s
4 (30.8%)
1980s
0 (0%)
1990s
1 (7.7%)
2000s
1 (7.7%)
2010s
4 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 13

traffic light guy

My favorite era is obviously the 1970s.The most important era in Pennsylvania's traffic signal history. This eta was when signals begun having doghouse signals with arrows, and were mounted on mast-arms, as opposed to wires and pedestals. Signals installed in Pennsylvania during the 1970s, were 12-inch Eagle flatbacks with curved brackets, mounted on mast-arms. Pedestrain signals were also introduced in this time period.

freebrickproductions

For me, it was the 2000s. Many places had adopted LEDs and were rolling them out, while many older incandescent signals that would be upgraded/replaced still existed on the streets. It was just the perfect blend of old and new.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

jakeroot

As far as the signal heads themselves, I quite like modern, LED signal heads. Older signals seem to almost fade over time, gradually making them harder to see. Modern signals don't seem to suffer as much. As far as where the signals are placed, and how they're phased, definitely today. Around Seattle, the old method used to be: one signal for the left turn (protected only), and two for the through lanes. No more, no less. Nowadays, left turns with permissive phasing are replacing signals that previously only used protected phasing. And I'm finally starting to see a mix of secondary and auxiliary signal heads on the mast and on side-posted poles (so visibility is much better). That said, agencies around the Seattle area have lately had a problem of placing signal heads way too close together. This really, really bugs me. It's not super common, but it's more common than I wish it were.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.