News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Semi falls into sinkhole in S.F.

Started by kkt, May 06, 2017, 01:57:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkt

Okay, so the northeastern cities get giant sinkholes all the time because of the freeze-thaw cycle.  What's S.F.'s excuse?  Photos and story at:

http://www.seattlepi.com/bayarea/article/Sinkhole-in-SF-s-SoMa-causes-traffic-delays-11123875.php

briantroutman

Quote from: kkt on May 06, 2017, 01:57:47 PM
Okay, so the northeastern cities get giant sinkholes all the time because of the freeze-thaw cycle.

Are you perhaps confusing sinkholes with potholes? I didn't think sinkholes had anything to do with freeze-thaw but rather were caused weak rock formations underground dissolving and leaving voids.

AsphaltPlanet

Sinkholes can often be caused by leaking underground utilities.  For example a leak in a pressurized watermain which then leaks with eroded soil into a neighbouring storm sewer.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: briantroutman on May 06, 2017, 02:19:49 PM
Quote from: kkt on May 06, 2017, 01:57:47 PM
Okay, so the northeastern cities get giant sinkholes all the time because of the freeze-thaw cycle.

Are you perhaps confusing sinkholes with potholes? I didn't think sinkholes had anything to do with freeze-thaw but rather were caused weak rock formations underground dissolving and leaving voids.

And they can happen anywhere provided the conditions are just right...even deserts:

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/surprise/2015/02/13/sinkhole-in-surprise-sends-two-to-hospital/23374011/

Hell, when I lived Florida it was such a problem that my home owners insurance policies either dropped sink hole coverage or jacked the price up so much that it wasn't worth it.  Central Florida in particular was part of the whole sink hole fear craze that started up in the Tampa Area where some dude got sucked into one along with his house...apparently the body was never recovered.  The limestone was particularly prone to dissolving and/or having a huge void underneath it when the water level dropped.  I want to say most of the lakes in the city of Orlando had some sort of origin in forming from a sink hole cavity.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.