News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I 490

Started by webny99, May 10, 2017, 10:24:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Is anyone following the Marsh Road/I-490 bridge replacement project near Rochester?

I would love to see a consistent six lanes from downtown to the thruway, but can't tell yet whether the new bridge here will be wide enough to accomadate six lanes.

RobbieL2415

Is there even a demand for a third lane out near Victor?  Every time I visit family out in Rochester the stretch West of NY 531 moves well even during peak times. 

cl94

I-490 could definitely use 6 lanes to Victor. When they were building the thing, planners expected most of the development to be west of Rochester, hence why I-490 takes its sweet time getting down to the Thruway and it has the ROW for 6 lanes until Genesee County. West of 531 has no traffic whatsoever. East of the city is another matter entirely. The 4-lane section is slow.

To answer your question, no widening at this time. 4 other structures would need to be replaced. Every rebuilt bridge can carry 6 lanes, but the railroad bridge is the major choke point.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

RobbieL2415

Quote from: webny99 on May 11, 2017, 02:13:50 PM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on May 10, 2017, 11:54:58 PM
Is there even a demand for a third lane out near Victor?  Every time I visit family out in Rochester the stretch West of NY 531 moves well even during peak times.

Are you talking about the same Victor I am? :spin:
West of 531 is a 2 lane road... but as far as I 490, between Exit 25 and Exit 27 could imo use another lane in each direction. Not usually stopped, but hard to move at speed!
Oohhh that Victor.  Then yes, it definitely could use six lanes.

I meant Le Roy but got the locations mixed up.

vdeane

I drive over that bridge multiple times a year, so I could say that I'm following it.  I noticed that they put in a work zone speed limit after going a whole year without one.

I recall hearing that it was in the plans for that to be widened, but that was years ago.  I doubt it's in the near-term plans right now.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.