AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Oregon transportation package released  (Read 1472 times)

nexus73

• Last Login: August 17, 2017, 07:00:59 PM
Re: Oregon transportation package released
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2017, 06:45:33 PM »

T-bird, you hit the nail on those valley to coast projects right on the head!  The Newport to Otis Junction 101 needs to be dealt with. Add in Cannon Beach to Astoria.  There are some smallish south coast projects I would like to see done but the ones you mentioned are the highest volume corridors at this time, so they do need priority.

I personally prefer more gas tax to tolls as I do not want to add another government agency full of PERS suckers and I do want every dime collected going toward construction.  If EV's are getting up to being a Big Deal, then tack on a small fee to the power bills so some funds come from those vehicles for road projects.  None of the projects benefit me directly in my daily drive but I do recognize the need to have a properly functioning network of highways so the goods can flow along with the tourists, which means a better state economy for all of us.  I'll gladly pay the extra gas tax.  If $4 a gallon gas did not stop me from going where I needed to go, the current price of around $2.75 can stand some addition if it benefits us all.

Anyways, nice discussion points and I hope you write your state rep and senator as I do.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willets CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Sub-Urbanite

• There's at least a 60% chance I'm just trolling

• Last Login: August 17, 2017, 11:49:18 PM
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2017, 02:15:37 PM »

I totally agree that we need to at least have expressway connections from the I-5 corridor to key outlying areas – Portland to Astoria, Tualatin to Lincoln City, Clackamas to Madras.

But given how badly ODOT screwed up Eddyville, it's going to take a long time before anyone trusts ODOT with a substantial capital project through complex terrain. Basically, I think the only way you actually fund & build those rural connections is a successful statewide ballot initiative.

compdude787

• Last Login: Today at 01:54:16 AM
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2017, 04:24:54 PM »

But given how badly ODOT screwed up Eddyville, it's going to take a long time before anyone trusts ODOT with a substantial capital project through complex terrain.

In what way did they screw up Eddyville?

Sub-Urbanite

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2017, 06:55:18 PM »

But given how badly ODOT screwed up Eddyville, it's going to take a long time before anyone trusts ODOT with a substantial capital project through complex terrain.

In what way did they screw up Eddyville?

Generously - ODOT didn't really understand the concept of "cost management" when they got into the project. Nor did they understand that there are such things as slow-moving landslides.

That's the generous assessment.

The non-generous version is that ODOT spent $61 million per mile on the core of the Eddyville project. It took ODOT 11 years – 11 years!!!! – to build 5 miles of road.

ODOT's contractor built $17 million worth of bridges – and then ODOT blew them up because they were built on a slow-moving landslide that nobody detected in pre-engineering.

ODOT initially budgeted $162 million for Eddyville. It spent $365 million. Based on its initial budget, widening OR 18 from Spirit Mountain to the Coast would cost roughly $670 million. Based on what it actually spent, widening OR 18 from Spirit Mountain to the Coast would cost $1.5 billion.

This is a pattern. The Woodburn Interchange was initially forecast to cost $25 million. It cost $70 million. And people are still raw about spending $200 million to plan the new Interstate Bridge – even though politics ultimately killed it.

So I guess there's two points here – one, there just isn't a lot of faith that ODOT can deliver these projects in a cost-effective manner. And two, even if they can – a 4-lane expressway to the Coast is still going to be expensive.

The Newberg-Dundee bypass costs about $26 million a mile.
Eddyville, as mentioned above, cost $61 million a mile.

An Otis to Dundee expressway would be about 50 miles.

sp_redelectric

• Last Login: Today at 01:18:46 AM
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2017, 12:37:11 AM »

Among the projects that will be addressed in Step 1 are improving Oregon 18 from Otis Junction to McMinnville in stages toward a multi-lane expressway with grade separated interchanges at important junctions

I absolutely, whole-heartedly disagree with this project.

101 to 5 or BUST!!!!!!!!

All joking aside, if I were King of Salem I would start by taking Ehlen/Yergen/McKay Roads and turning them into a state highway which would become Highway 18.  Brand new interchange at I-5 (cloverleaf?).  Push that highway west of 219 to line up roughly with Riverwood Road on the west side of the Willamette River, and connect it with existing Highway 18.

Then turn Highway 18 from I-5 west to Steel Bridge Road (near Willamina) into a full-out freeway.  No grade intersections, no driveways.  Divided highway, 70 MPH speed limit, full intersections.

Once that's done, then work west to U.S. 101.

The sad part is that ODOT already owns a significant amount of the right-of-way near Sheridan and between the McMinnville Airport and McDougall's Junction (99W/18) to make it happen without having to buy up real estate.  All it needs to do is get bulldozers on the ground to clear the land and pour concrete.  (And build a second bridge over the Yamhill River.)  Even the Fletcher Road overpass in Dayton is already long enough to accommodate two more lanes of Highway 18 without reconstruction.

Sub-Urbanite

« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2017, 12:04:31 PM »

Well, that ended… interesting.

The final package put a bunch of money into increased bus service, gave ODOT some desperately-needed maintenance money, and increased the gas tax statewide. It put in place a bike tax. It gave ODOT and Portland the authority to try congestion pricing on the freeways, and possibly beyond.

But it didn't include much in the way of "enhance" – no money for new projects, as far as I could tell, just the promise that some of that toll money could be used for the needed expansion projects in the Portland metro.

Bickendan

• Last Login: Today at 05:18:22 AM
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2017, 04:50:34 PM »

Throw us a link please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.