News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

To The People Who Drive Very Fast:

Started by In_Correct, May 16, 2017, 01:24:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do You Like Drivers Driving Too Fast?

No.
19 (38%)
I Was Almost A Victim From An Accident Of Somebody Driving Too Fast.
7 (14%)
I Was A Victim From An Accident Of Somebody Driving Too Fast.
2 (4%)
I Do Not Pay Attention To How Others Drive.
7 (14%)
I Do Not Pay Attention To How I Drive.
3 (6%)
I Drive Too Fast.
12 (24%)
Speed Limit Signs Are My Natural Enemy.
25 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 50

SP Cook

Quote from: kalvado on May 20, 2017, 03:50:14 PM

Correlation does not imply causation.

So you and I agree that when the courthouse gangs, the police lobby, the anti-car nuts, and, most of all, the insurance lobby (which goes under the astroturfed name of the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) were DEAD WRONG when they spewed for nearly 20 years that "55 saves lives".   In fact the slight decline in traffic mortality and morbidity in the mid-70s was mostly due to the amortization into the vehicle fleet of the first cars designed with much of any safety standards and the ageing out of the previous; and the near completion of the interstates (the safest type of road) and the accompanying elimination of much cross country travel on lesser routes. 

Yet, fighting to keep 55 (and all that $$$$$$$$) they spewed more idiocy, predicting a "blood bath" and other nonsense.  And, again, they were DEAD WRONG.

Perhaps we should stop listening to these people, and keep on raising the SLs, and thus saving more and more lives. 

kalvado

Quote from: SP Cook on May 21, 2017, 11:35:38 AM
Quote from: kalvado on May 20, 2017, 03:50:14 PM

Correlation does not imply causation.

So you and I agree that when the courthouse gangs, the police lobby, the anti-car nuts, and, most of all, the insurance lobby (which goes under the astroturfed name of the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) were DEAD WRONG when they spewed for nearly 20 years that "55 saves lives".   In fact the slight decline in traffic mortality and morbidity in the mid-70s was mostly due to the amortization into the vehicle fleet of the first cars designed with much of any safety standards and the ageing out of the previous; and the near completion of the interstates (the safest type of road) and the accompanying elimination of much cross country travel on lesser routes. 

Yet, fighting to keep 55 (and all that $$$$$$$$) they spewed more idiocy, predicting a "blood bath" and other nonsense.  And, again, they were DEAD WRONG.

Perhaps we should stop listening to these people, and keep on raising the SLs, and thus saving more and more lives.

Experimentation on humans is naturally difficult. There is just no way to collect enough of high quality data to make clear cut conclusion until effect is very pronounced - like it is with alcohol impairment.
So far the best setup experiment I am aware of is a story of (Swedish?) king, who got a pair of twins sentenced to death as test subjects. Twins were held in adjacent cells, and one was forced to drink tea, and the other had to enjoy some coffee every day. Unfortunately, both test subjects lived longer than His Majesty, so he didn't get his answer..

So I am bringing up concept of acceptable risk - which is an envelope factor, which can be measured on on-going basis.

RobbieL2415

I do not pay attention to other drivers' speed.  Honestly, I just think that most people assume they're going the speed limit but just don't bother to look at their speedometers.  Plus, most people have been on the road maybe 15-20 years or more and have more experience, good or bad and just drive by how they feel the road and DGAF about what their speed is.

And since everyone else is sharing, here are my speed rules:

Roads <65mph limit:  drive +5mph above limit, with few exceptions (I-84 west of Hartford is the main one)

Roads 65mph limit: drive at the limit, except if on a through-route across major regions, then its anywhere between +5 and +10 above limit.

Roads >65mph limit:  drive at the limit

All parking lots:  10-15mph

Merging from on-ramp: merge at speed of traffic in give-way lane

Exiting to off-ramp:  decelerate if necessary, if freeway-to-freeway connection match speed to design speed of ramp.

Downhills:  allow vehicle to gain momentum so long as its safe to do so.

jakeroot

Am I the only one who just goes the speed that I feel is safest? I don't really spend a lot of time looking at my speedometer. On the rare occasion that Washington State Patrol or the BC RCMP is out doing radar, I never get stopped when surrounded by other cars who are also exceeding the limit. Just a few days ago, I passed a WSP officer doing radar. I was travelling 75 (in a 60). I've been stopped for doing less (71), but I wasn't stopped this time because everyone else around me was also exceeding the limit.

It would seem, then, that police watch for those who are travelling at a remarkably different speed than the cars around them, not necessarily someone exceeding the limit. Maybe police are different in other places (in that they randomly select a car to pull over).

slorydn1

Quote from: jakeroot on May 22, 2017, 11:41:07 PM
It would seem, then, that police watch for those who are travelling at a remarkably different speed than the cars around them, not necessarily someone exceeding the limit. Maybe police are different in other places (in that they randomly select a car to pull over).

No, you're pretty much spot on, its very much the same in the places I've been in the eastern part of the country.

The one thing that I have to be careful of that you may not have to is that my Mustang is a cop magnet. If they did decide to single someone out in the middle of the pack its probably going to be me. It's not something that I overly worry about, I'm not going to slam on the brakes in the middle of the pack, but it is something that's in the back of my mind as I enter an area that I know has many good hiding places for a cop to run radar. I may drop out of the pack if they are going faster than the speed I feel is "safe" from the enforcement point of view.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

ukfan758

My rules: These or whatever the flow of traffic is going

Neighborhoods, school zones, and non-freeway construction zones: Speed Limit

2 lanes: 5 over

4 lanes non-divided: 5 over

4 lanes divided: 6-7 over

Interstates/Freeways:
Construction Zones: 5-6 over
55mph: 65-70mph
65mph: 75mph
70mph 4 lane rural: 78mph
70mph 6 lane rural (ex: I-65 in KY): 80-82mph

ET21

Quote from: jakeroot on May 22, 2017, 11:41:07 PM

No that's pretty much it, or they're looking for reckless driving and endangerment to fellow drivers. Long as you keep with traffic, no matter how fast they're going, you are good
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

compdude787

Quote from: jakeroot on May 16, 2017, 02:01:31 PM
Quote from: In_Correct on May 16, 2017, 01:24:20 PM
The Ramps have different signs that give a speed. I assume it is the required speed to safely enter the ramp. I obey these signs. Honking at me for obeying these signs, and then tailgating me, ... only shows what an oversized impatient child you are.

Being predictable pretty much guarantees a degree of safety. If there's a curve with an advisory limit of 50, but everyone takes it at 60, you're going to confuse everyone behind you by taking it at 50, even if the sign advises you to do so (yellow signs are not required speeds, by the way). You might even get rear-ended by a driver who didn't expect you to slow for the curve.

Another thing: these advisory limits reflect the cornering abilities of 1950s Americana -- modern day cars can take curves much faster than older cars, yet just as safely. Have you ever taken a corner above the advised limit of the yellow sign? It's really not that bad. It might be why everyone is honking at you.

All things considered, after reading your post...you sound very timid. How long have you been driving?

Oh yeah, the advisory speeds for ramps are so much slower than what most cars are capable of. For example, there is an offramp that I get off of every day coming home from school that has an advisory speed of 50 MPH. But, I can easily take it at 70.

machias

If there's a lane closure on an expressway/freeway two miles up the road from your location it doesn't make sense for everyone to jam into the open lane way ahead of time. Folks should be driving to the merge point and zippering into the open lane. This keeps traffic moving rather than everyone getting into the open lane miles ahead of the closure and then purposefully blocking anyone trying to merge closer to the merge point.

Brandon

Quote from: upstatenyroads on June 01, 2017, 12:59:26 PM
If there's a lane closure on an expressway/freeway two miles up the road from your location it doesn't make sense for everyone to jam into the open lane way ahead of time. Folks should be driving to the merge point and zippering into the open lane. This keeps traffic moving rather than everyone getting into the open lane miles ahead of the closure and then purposefully blocking anyone trying to merge closer to the merge point.

Folks should zipper, period, regardless of where they merge in.  The problem that happens around Chicago is that they'll all crowd up to the merge point, then refuse to zipper.  They force their way in at very low speed.  Traffic still backs up for miles.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

MikeTheActuary

I know I'm late to the thread, but for whatever it's worth....

In situations where it's safe to use cruise control, I'll generally set mine for (speed limit + 5) or 70, whichever is less, to start...and then tweak the speed up/down from there depending on traffic.   (I don't normally get to drive highways posted above 70, and my car's fuel efficiency really plummets much above 70...so that's my starting upper bound.)

My goal is to drive in such a way that I minimize interactions with other vehicles.  For a while, when I got my current car (my first with cruise control), I tried to be a good boy and stick with the speed limit...but I found that my speed-control thumb got less of a workout at my current standard.

pumpkineater2

I consider myself a "fast" driver, but When I drive I always pay full attention to the road, both hands on the wheel. Paying attention to the road while sailing down the interstate at 70-80 is more entertaining than any smartphone or other distraction. I believe it's okay to drive very fast as long as you take driving a car seriously and only do it when conditions allow.

On anything that isn't a freeway I tend to stay pretty close to the limit, whatever it is. However on freeways, I try to stick to these guidelines:

SL:55   My speed: 60-65 or faster in order keep up with the flow. Example road:I-17 in Phoenix.

SL: 65  My speed: 72-75  Example roads: Loop 101 and I-10 In the Phoenix area.

SL:75   My speed: 80-83  Example road: I-17 headed towards Phoenix from flagstaff.

SL:80+ My speed: 80-83, however the road is probably in the middle of nowhere with a low volume of traffic, and to be completely honest I'll probably have one or two short bursts of speed if the road happens to be wide open.

Mind you I always use cruise control whenever possible.

Sounds like the O.P. is just an incompetent driver, if not lacking confidence in their abilities.
Come ride with me to the distant shore...

In_Correct

Road Update:

I was in the passing lane of a Frontage Road, ready to enter the Interstate. A car was leaving the Interstate. After that car merged to the farthest right lane of the Frontage Road,  I accelerated about 15 MPH over the limit while still on the Frontage Road, take the Slip Ramp, and entered the Interstate. Perhaps I should speed 20 MPH over the speed limit on the Frontage Road.

There was a road with no speed limit signs. I was probably speeding.

I was on a 4 lane divided road with no other traffic except for a car behind me. We were in the farthest right lane. They could have easily passed me but instead they tailgated. I went faster, and then they passed me. And then I slowed down so they could finish passing me. No traffic in the Passing Lane so I really think they should use it.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

bzakharin

Quote from: pumpkineater2 on June 02, 2017, 12:39:06 AM
Paying attention to the road while sailing down the interstate at 70-80 is more entertaining than any smartphone or other distraction.
I don't know if you meant that literally, but if you are entertained by something on the highway, it can be just as much a distraction as anything else entertaining you might be doing.

vdeane

Quote from: bzakharin on July 31, 2017, 11:16:14 AM
Paying attention to the road while sailing down the interstate at 70-80 is more entertaining than any smartphone or other distraction.
I don't know if you meant that literally, but if you are entertained by something on the highway, it can be just as much a distraction as anything else entertaining you might be doing.
I guess you're one of those people who do not like driving.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

bzakharin

Quote from: vdeane on July 31, 2017, 12:58:59 PM
I like driving, but the moment something becomes "interesting" (Button copy? State-named Interstate shields? something else?), especially if you're looking for it actively, it becomes a distraction just as much as any texting or whatever.

vdeane

Quote from: bzakharin on July 31, 2017, 01:19:47 PM
Quote from: vdeane on July 31, 2017, 12:58:59 PM
I like driving, but the moment something becomes "interesting" (Button copy? State-named Interstate shields? something else?), especially if you're looking for it actively, it becomes a distraction just as much as any texting or whatever.
I took bzakharin's post to refer to driving down the interstate itself at 70-80 mph, with normal attention to the road, to be inherently interesting.  And how much mental energy does it take to note that a sign is button copy, anyways?  Usually it's not something that you need to stare at the sign for long periods of time to notice.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Flint1979

My general rule of driving is that I use my cruise control and usually set my cruise to 5 over the speed limit. On the Interstate's in the state of Michigan I set my cruise for 80 mph and stick with that speed no matter what the speed limit is, in other states I set my cruise for 5 over the speed limit. In Chicago though I do 85 mph on the Interstates if there is no traffic. I usually blow around everyone coming from Indiana by taking the Skyway since I'm not afraid to pay the toll, it's 5 miles longer to take 80/94 and in Chicago you don't want to be adding on 5 miles to your trip.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.