Songs/artists you're tired of hearing

Started by hbelkins, May 22, 2017, 03:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwolfer

Quote from: inkyatari on May 31, 2017, 08:53:59 AM
Never cared for Springsteen, but bon joki is just the worst.
I grew up in NJ.. I even went to high school with one of Bruce Springsteen's cousin.. I never like Bruce or Bon Jovi.. Although i did like the Jon Bon Jovie song with Jennifer Nettles from Sugarland.. "Who says you can't go home"

LGMS428

bugo

Bad Company
CCR
Foghat
Bob Seger
Billy Joel
Kiss
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Fleetwood Mac
Ted Nugent

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Rushmeister

...and then the psychiatrist chuckled.

Otto Yamamoto

I haven't listened to much of anything contemporary since who knows when. NYC has two decent radio stations for my needs, one classical and one Jazz, and no NPR on either. Otherwise it's Google Play music which has a great deal of things I listen to.

STV100-2

roadman65

I had myself a rental car for a day with Sirius XM in it and loved Deep Tracks as they played the songs on popular albums that never got the attention that the hit singles did.   You could find songs on there that you wish gets played on commercial radio that are not and have to listen to those played out songs.  Plus 139 other choices as well.

The last I heard the fee for satellite radio was under 14 bucks.  It may be worth it and of course you can get the app for your phone to listen.

Sheryl Crowe

hbelkins

Quote from: SectorZ on June 02, 2017, 01:39:31 PM
Quote from: DaBigE on May 31, 2017, 09:02:46 AM
Rush.

Heresy...

I've been a fan of Rush (except those three albums following "Signals" in the mid-80s that were mostly all sorts of suckage) since a cousin introduced me to "All The World's A Stage" but if I never hear "Tom Sawyer" again, it'll be too soon. That's another song I'm sick of.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

briantroutman

Quote from: roadman65 on June 20, 2017, 07:49:30 AM
The last I heard the fee for satellite radio was under 14 bucks.  It may be worth it and of course you can get the app for your phone to listen.

The prices vary based on a number of factors, including the channels included your subscription, the length of your contract, and whether any pricing promos are available to you. SiriusXM is not terribly unlike the cable companies in that if you call up threatening to cancel, they might spontaneously offer a lower price.

Streaming through the SiriusXM app is not included by default. You have to pay an extra fee to add a "streaming subscription"  to your existing satellite radio subscription.

I have a SiriusXM subscription in my Volkswagen because–and I know this is juvenile of me–I hate the idea of part of my car being "deactivated" . Additionally, VW's infotainment system has a number of neat traveler information features (live radar maps, traffic maps, fuel prices) that pull their data from SiriusXM. I pay extra for that, too. So even buying a half-year at a time, I think I'm paying around $20 per month for basic radio (no premium or sports channels) plus traveler and traffic info services. I think I'd be paying $25 if I was month-to-month. That price does not include Internet streaming of SiriusXM content, and I'm not prepared to pay even more for it.

Considering that countless hours of music (and better music), live radio from across the globe, travel information, and more are available to me for no additional cost on my phone, I think SiriusXM is pretty lousy value–unless you spend lots of travel time in cellular dead zones.

english si

Quote from: kurumi on June 03, 2017, 05:15:08 PMPomp and Circumstance.
It's better when not just the chorus played on repeat without the words. Still repetitive, and still slumps come the chorus but there's a bit more going on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpEWpK_Dl7M

If we made it the British national anthem as has oft been suggested, we'd bore of it quickly as they'd only play the rather dreary chorus and skip all the brisk march stuff that's far more interesting. Only Last Night is able to make the bit over the top of that wonderful climbing scale not be a massive anti-climax and it's still anti-climatical even with the BBC Symphonic Orchestra and Chorus pulling out the stops (ditto the fee-paying bonus chorus of flag-waving posh people) in one of the best concert venues in the world, the cuts across the country to people watching in parks, etc as it goes into a slow procession.

roadman65

Quote from: briantroutman on June 20, 2017, 01:09:35 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on June 20, 2017, 07:49:30 AM

The prices vary based on a number of factors, including the channels included your subscription, the length of your contract, and whether any pricing promos are available to you. SiriusXM is not terribly unlike the cable companies in that if you call up threatening to cancel, they might spontaneously offer a lower price.

Streaming through the SiriusXM app is not included by default. You have to pay an extra fee to add a "streaming subscription"  to your existing satellite radio subscription.

I have a SiriusXM subscription in my Volkswagen because–and I know this is juvenile of me–I hate the idea of part of my car being "deactivated" . Additionally, VW's infotainment system has a number of neat traveler information features (live radar maps, traffic maps, fuel prices) that pull their data from SiriusXM. I pay extra for that, too. So even buying a half-year at a time, I think I'm paying around $20 per month for basic radio (no premium or sports channels) plus traveler and traffic info services. I think I'd be paying $25 if I was month-to-month. That price does not include Internet streaming of SiriusXM content, and I'm not prepared to pay even more for it.

Considering that countless hours of music (and better music), live radio from across the globe, travel information, and more are available to me for no additional cost on my phone, I think SiriusXM is pretty lousy value–unless you spend lots of travel time in cellular dead zones.
Did not know that one.

Then I take to own two of them, one in the car and one at home is also more?

Sheryl Crowe

paulthemapguy

Mumford and Sons, who I used to like...now I'm tired of hearing their new, watered-down garbage
Imagine Dragons, who I used to like...now I'm tired of hearing their new, watered-down garbage
Awolnation, who has always been watered-down boring garbage
Ed Sheeran, who I used to like...now I'm tired of hearing his new, watered-down garbage.  That "I'm in love with your body" song can die in a dumpster fire.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

briantroutman

Quote from: roadman65 on June 20, 2017, 09:54:22 PM

Yes. And more than just a little more.

A subscription is tied to a specific receiver (SiriusXM knows exactly which radio is tuning in), and an additional receiver requires its own subscription. There's a discount for having multiple subscriptions, but it appears to be modest at best. According to a quick search of the SiriusXM website, it appears adding a second receiver costs at least $10.99 per month (depending on the programming package).

Otto Yamamoto

Quote from: briantroutman on June 20, 2017, 11:08:26 PM

A subscription is tied to a specific receiver (SiriusXM knows exactly which radio is tuning in), and an additional receiver requires its own subscription. There's a discount for having multiple subscriptions, but it appears to be modest at best. According to a quick search of the SiriusXM website, it appears adding a second receiver costs at least $10.99 per month (depending on the programming package).
Yikes. It's $9.99/mo for a Google play sub, and that covers all my devices.

briantroutman

Quote from: Otto Yamamoto on June 21, 2017, 08:22:59 AM
Yikes. It's $9.99/mo for a Google play sub, and that covers all my devices.

Perhaps SiriusXM is doing such great business with long-haul truckers (and Howard Stern fans–both essentially captive markets) that the company can afford to chase away many of its "civilian"  customers with high prices. But I get the impression that the company is rife with old time media execs who get misty-eyed for the days when movie studios could charge 80 bucks for a single VHS. And apparently, they think they can just "will"  those days back–oblivious to the fact that their business has largely been leapfrogged by newer, more flexible, and less expensive technology.

hbelkins

Quote from: briantroutman on June 20, 2017, 11:08:26 PM

Unless things have changed, you can get a receiver that will work in both home and mobile environments. I have one somewhere, but have no clue what I did with it. I let my subscription go a few years back for financial reasons. My Saturn Vue has a built-in XM radio and occasionally they will offer a free listening period, and the channels offered vary.  The most recent free period included the Patriot talk radio channel, but previous offers did not.

I'm not a fan of listening to music on the radio these days. CDs and an iPod let me listen to what I want, when I want. And for the talk shows I like, the iHeartRadio and Mark Levin Show apps offer that functionality (I usually listen to the free Levin podcast the next day).

briantroutman

Quote from: hbelkins on June 21, 2017, 11:15:30 AM
Unless things have changed, you can get a receiver that will work in both home and mobile environments.

XM, prior to its merger with Sirius, was selling an $80 Delphi receiver called the Roady. It was roughly the size of a portable GPS, and similarly, you'd suction cup it to your windshield or clip it to a dash mount for in-car use. To use it at home, you could buy a $50 home connection kit that included an antenna to place outside, an AC adapter, and cabling to connect it to a stereo. XM also sold a few of what they called "boomboxes" –basically Roady docking stations with built-in speakers.

The Roady has since been discontinued, and I don't know of any other hybrid home/car satellite receivers.

bugo

I drove from Minot, ND to Mena, AR a few years ago. The car I was driving had satellite radio (I don't remember what brand.) I put it on the alt rock station. They played the same songs over and over. I heard some songs 4 or 5 times that day. I don't listen to any radio. I plug my computer into my home stereo and listen to MP3 files. I have a USB thumb drive in my car that has over 8000 songs on it that I use while I'm driving. I would rather listen to what I want to listen to than to listen to what some radio programmer says I should listen to.

hbelkins

Quote from: bugo on June 21, 2017, 03:33:16 PM
I drove from Minot, ND to Mena, AR a few years ago. The car I was driving had satellite radio (I don't remember what brand.) I put it on the alt rock station. They played the same songs over and over. I heard some songs 4 or 5 times that day. I don't listen to any radio. I plug my computer into my home stereo and listen to MP3 files. I have a USB thumb drive in my car that has over 8000 songs on it that I use while I'm driving. I would rather listen to what I want to listen to than to listen to what some radio programmer says I should listen to.

It's not just the alt rock channel. All the ones I listen to seem to play the same songs, in the same order and rotation, over and over again. Several days when I was driving to work, I'd hear the same songs in the same order about the same time of day.

Roadgeekteen

You are never going to hear any new music that way.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Takumi

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 22, 2017, 01:33:17 PM
Uh, there are lots of other ways to discover new music.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

hbelkins

I mentioned Rush's "Tom Sawyer." "Roll The Bones" is another of their songs I can't abide. I always skip over it whenever it's on an album I'm listening to.

bugo

Quote from: Takumi on June 22, 2017, 02:51:52 PM

Absolutely. I have no problem finding new music. The music that I like isn't likely going to be played on the radio anyway.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: bugo on June 22, 2017, 07:41:20 PM

Absolutely. I have no problem finding new music. The music that I like isn't likely going to be played on the radio anyway.
I feel so out of place on this forum sometimes.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Otto Yamamoto

Quote from: bugo on June 22, 2017, 07:41:20 PM

Same here,  a great deal of what I listen to is live, anyway,  since NYC has an active music scene in multiple genres.

STV100-2

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.