News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Top 5 Missing Links

Started by webny99, May 23, 2017, 04:39:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

What do you think are the top 5 busiest major commerce/trucking corridors in the US that have no interstates? You could suggest four-lane roads, or even expressways, but no corridors with freeways or interstates.

Buffalo>I-390 must be up there somewhere. 
I've always thought central AR/MO was lacking north/south freeways, but of course I know very little about that area, so won't deem it a "major commerce/trucking corridor"  :D

froggie

formulanone

The ones I keep hearing about on this forum are:

Austin - Houston
Phoenix - Las Vegas (this is the proposed I-11, right?)
Denver - Dallas
Memphis - St. Louis
Tampa/Gainesville - Jacksonville

CA 99 is isn't really "missing", but it's an incomplete and outdated freeway.

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

formulanone

Quote from: 1 on May 23, 2017, 07:04:59 PM
Quote from: formulanone on May 23, 2017, 06:45:25 PM
Memphis - St. Louis

Why doesn't I-55 work?

Sorry, meant to say Kansas City (mixed up the locations in my head). There's no direct SE-NW diagonal across Missouri.

jp the roadgeek

Hartford-Providence
Charlotte-Nashville
Philadelphia-Buffalo
Jacksonville-Atlanta
Bay Area-Las Vegas
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

ilpt4u

Quote from: 1 on May 23, 2017, 07:04:59 PM
Quote from: formulanone on May 23, 2017, 06:45:25 PM
Memphis - St. Louis

Why doesn't I-55 work?
Better yet, I-55 + I-57

Tho a "modified" I-57, that goes straight South leaving IL, instead of SW (I-57) or SE (I-24), enters KY, and then follows, generally, the I-69 Western KY/Northern TN route to enter Memphis from the NE, would be a little more direct.

I do find the new I-57 Extension to Little Rock from Sikeston an interesting idea, and Route-wise, basically makes I-57 and I-30 one long corridor -- assuming the missing sections in SE MO and NE AR are eventually built to Interstate Standard, from Chicago to Dallas

I'd rather have the missing I-24 link, from Marion, IL to STL, completing a direct Atlanta and Nashville to STL route, without needing the I-57/I-64 jog. Plus, locally, it would connect Far Southern IL much better to the STL Metro area. I-57 is nasty with heavy truck traffic from the I-57/I-24 and I-57/I-64 junctions, due to both the Northeast-Southwest traffic of I-57 and the Southeast-Northwest traffic of I-24

For CKC aka Chicago-Kansas City, we have the CKC Expressway, IL/MO 110, tho its really not the best route in IL. The MO side of the CKC/110 isn't a bad route, tho. I haven't driven it, but it can't be much worse than C-KC via I-88/80 to I-35 in Des Moines, or I-55 to I-70 in STL

US71

Quote from: webny99 on May 23, 2017, 04:39:10 PM
What do you think are the top 5 busiest major commerce/trucking corridors in the US that have no interstates? You could suggest four-lane roads, or even expressways, but no corridors with freeways or interstates.

Buffalo>I-390 must be up there somewhere. 
I've always thought central AR/MO was lacking north/south freeways, but of course I know very little about that area, so won't deem it a "major commerce/trucking corridor"  :D

NW Arkansas is more a  "major commerce/trucking corridor" with Tyson, Wal-Mart, and JB Hunt. 
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

pianocello

Quote from: froggie on May 23, 2017, 05:03:43 PM
https://www.rita.dot.gov/bts/sites/rita.dot.gov.bts/files/data_and_statistics/by_subject/freight/freight_facts_2015/chapter3/fig3_5

Pick out your thickest gray lines.

Most of the thicker gray lines are still either freeway-quality or proposed interstates, though (I'm looking at CA-99, the I-69 corridors in Texas, and the Kentucky Parkways, among others). Interestingly, some of the other thick gray lines haven't been mentioned in this thread are ones that I never would have guessed:

Lubbock-Abilene
Wichita Falls-Fort Worth
St. Paul-Rochester
Jackson-Hattiesburg-Gulfport
Chicago-Fort Wayne (ok, I can see this one)
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

sparker

Quote from: pianocello on May 23, 2017, 09:59:42 PM
Quote from: froggie on May 23, 2017, 05:03:43 PM
https://www.rita.dot.gov/bts/sites/rita.dot.gov.bts/files/data_and_statistics/by_subject/freight/freight_facts_2015/chapter3/fig3_5

Pick out your thickest gray lines.

Most of the thicker gray lines are still either freeway-quality or proposed interstates, though (I'm looking at CA-99, the I-69 corridors in Texas, and the Kentucky Parkways, among others). Interestingly, some of the other thick gray lines haven't been mentioned in this thread are ones that I never would have guessed:

Lubbock-Abilene
Wichita Falls-Fort Worth
St. Paul-Rochester
Jackson-Hattiesburg-Gulfport
Chicago-Fort Wayne (ok, I can see this one)

Besides these, there were a few other "thick grays" that were, IMO, unexpected:

(1) Columbus (OH)-Ft. Wayne (US 33?)
(2) WKY parkway (been on it several times, didn't notice any particular heavy truck usage)
(3) US 30 east of Grand Island, NE
(4) US 281/nascent I-69C in TX (maybe someone was prescient on this one).

Expected/reinforced previous potential I-corridors:

(1) US 287 Amarillo-Ft. Worth
(2) US 395 north of Pasco, WA
(3) CA 58 between I-5 & I-15 (hello, Captain Obvious!)
(4) Northern reaches of Avenue of Saints (NW of Waterloo, IA)

02 Park Ave

H'burg - State College
Williamsport - State College
Burlington - Montreal
JAX - Ocala
Myrtle Beach - Lumberton
C-o-H

vdeane

Quote from: webny99 on May 24, 2017, 04:18:25 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on May 23, 2017, 07:24:07 PM
East Coast-Buffalo

FTFY  :bigass:
Last I checked, Boston is east coast, so I guess that Buffalo-Boston highway I always assumed was real is actually a product of the Fictional Highways board.  And I could have sworn I've been on it too!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on June 14, 2017, 11:31:54 PM
H'burg - State College
Burlington - Montreal
JAX - Ocala
Myrtle Beach - Lumberton
Burlington-Montreal is an interstate for as long as is possible.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

sparker

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 15, 2017, 02:01:42 PM
Quote from: 02 Park Ave on June 14, 2017, 11:31:54 PM
H'burg - State College
Burlington - Montreal
JAX - Ocala
Myrtle Beach - Lumberton
Burlington-Montreal is an interstate for as long as is possible.

I think 02's post was referring to the completion of Autoroute 35 in Quebec -- something planned but repeatedly delayed for decades.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.