News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

RIP Gregg Allman

Started by jp the roadgeek, May 27, 2017, 06:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jp the roadgeek

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/27/entertainment/gregg-allman-obituary/index.html

This just made me feel like I've been down to the whipping post when I heard this news.  Some recent reports had him in hospice care, others had him talking about making a comeback.  Unfortunately, there won't be a comeback.  Sadly, I never saw the Allman's but I've seen Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes in side projects.  Very sad day for the music world.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

cpzilliacus

My favorite track by the Allman Brothers Band - Melissa.

Wall Street Journal: Gregg Allman, Singer and Songwriter Most Well Known for the Allman Brothers Band, Dies - Musician with deep roots in folk, rock and R&B was 69 years old

QuoteGregg Allman, a singer and songwriter who combined his world-weary sensibility with Delta blues, folk and R&B influences in memorable songs such as "Midnight Rider"  and "Melissa,"  died Saturday at his home near Savannah, Ga. He was 69 years old.

QuoteOften called the greatest white blues singer, Mr. Allman and his brother, Duane, were the namesake members of the Allman Brothers Band, which was founded in Jacksonville, Fla., in 1969 and inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1995. The band went on to survive deaths, discord and two breakups to play a triumphant last concert in October 2014.

QuoteThe Allman Brothers Band's distinct style combined the Grateful Dead's love of improvisation with a more disciplined approach. They were hailed as the creators of Southern Rock, a genre and label the band scorned even as it spawned other groups, such as Lynyrd Skynyrd and the Marshall Tucker Band.

QuoteMr. Allman, who had hepatitis C, had a liver transplant in 2010 and suffered sporadic health problems in subsequent years. He performed regularly until his final show in October 2016.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

A musician friend of mine, here in Columbus, wrote the following, on his FB page, concerning Gregg Allman...
QuoteI did a gig for Gregg Allman, who I met through a friend Johnny Roberts and later did some personal security. But the craziest night was when he (Gregg) and some friends showed up at my apartment loft above Granville Lumber Co. in 1984, 3am wanting my fried chicken.They were on their way home from and award event in Cleveland. My wife walks in the kitchen too see what's going on. Shakes her head and goes back to bed (nothing I did shocked her). Oh what a night. It was so much fun to have him there and not baby sitting . But to eat and laugh and play music together 2 hours plus his friends. I had and old 12 string harmony guitar I turned into 6 string classical I played my flute. What a party. I will miss you Greg Allman. Prayers of comfort to your family. And all the Allman Brothers Band and friends. Jesus Christ has prepared our brother a place.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

cjk374

I have always been an Allman Bros. fan. A very sad day indeed.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

froggie

Zac Brown did a pretty good (and 15 minute long) tribute to Greg Allman at last night's concert.

roadman65

I saw him first as a solo artist after the I'm No Angel tour in Allentown, PA along with the late Stevie Ray Vaughn.  Not together, but Allman opened for Vaughn and both put on spectacular shows.  I remember Gregg embracing his woman right before he came on stage and kissed her real well, but along with Dan Tolar put on one hell of a show.

Then the Allman Brothers reunion I saw him in the former Garden State Arts Center in Holmdel, NJ and then twice here in Florida.  Once at the Daytona Beach Ocean Center and the other time at the Brevard County Fair where every year the Allman Brothers played there as well.

Great shows for all the performances, and its sad to see a legend go the way he did, but reports say he died peacefully at his home in Savanah, GA.  He even posed for Red Nose Day just 48 hours before he passed and was always active on FB and smiling more the past few years.  He even admitted his passion for his music and the love of his fans gave him motivation to overcome the pain and suffering in his health.  Believe me in the end it showed.  He will be missed.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.