News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Okay what just happened here?

Started by I-90, June 09, 2017, 10:12:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I-90

So a few days ago i get this message saying that aaroads forum is in maintainece mode i couldn't access the forum for 5 days

hotdogPi

Same here, except it was 5 days for me.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

1995hoo

Per the AARoads Twitter account, "The server need[ed] to migrate to a newer PHP for the SMF s/w. 1&1 [were] trying to expedite that, but it [took] some time."

(Quotation edited for verb tense reasons.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

DeaconG

It's back...it's BACK! IT'S BACK!  :cheers:

Those withdrawal symptoms are brutal!  :spin: :crazy: :-D
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 09, 2017, 10:56:50 AM
Per the AARoads Twitter account [...]

Ah, I didn't think to look at Twitter. It might have been helpful to put something on one of the nonforum parts of the site.

That said, I missed this place. Happy to be back.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

1995hoo

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on June 09, 2017, 12:55:45 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on June 09, 2017, 10:56:50 AM
Per the AARoads Twitter account [...]

Ah, I didn't think to look at Twitter. It might have been helpful to put something on one of the nonforum parts of the site.

That said, I missed this place. Happy to be back.

I saw it because froggie asked them about it and they replied. While I follow them, it never occurred to me to ask.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hbelkins

My understanding, being the non-techie that I am, is that they installed a new version of the forum software, which was incompatible with the version of PHP that was running on the server. I'm not sure how it got fixed; whether they got the PHP upgraded or backtracked to an older version of the forum software.

To me, this is a cautionary tale about immediately upgrading to anything that comes out. There's a reason my Mac still runs OS 10.6.8 (although I have a newer version on an external drive that I can start up from if necessary). Newer versions of the OS broke a bunch of software that I use. And there are also reasons that I'm still running iOS 6.x on my iPhone and haven't upgraded the iOS on my work iProducts.

(And yes, my Windows netbook still runs XP).

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alex

I was the one responding on twitter. We thought the php issue was the main problem, but it turns out the dated sql database version is also an issue. James reverted the software back to the previous version, and was able to restore it. Initially it seemed that would not be possible and that we'd be stuck until the server upgrades to php 5.6, which will take place by month's end, if not sooner. Thankfully we don't have to be stuck in maintenance mode til then now.

All of this started the morning I was scheduled to head out of town for the next week. I delayed my departure for three hours trying to work with James on this to fix it, but in the end ran out of time.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: hbelkins on June 09, 2017, 08:02:29 PM
My understanding, being the non-techie that I am, is that they installed a new version of the forum software, which was incompatible with the version of PHP that was running on the server. I'm not sure how it got fixed; whether they got the PHP upgraded or backtracked to an older version of the forum software.

Found a way to downgrade back to 2.0.13 from .14 finally.

I mean, they said that the version of PHP was compatible for the upgrade, but in the end, it just didn't like it anyways. :/

Roadgeekteen

I was starting to lose hope!  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.