News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Interstates (or other limited access roadways) that are virtually just ramps

Started by index, June 11, 2017, 06:05:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkt

Quote from: michravera on June 12, 2017, 03:29:52 PM
Quote from: index on June 11, 2017, 06:05:07 PM
Title. A limited access roadway that, on its entire length, has no on or off ramps. (Except where it begins and ends, how else are you going to get on one? (with the exception of intersections)) I know of two Interstates like this, I-189 in VT and I-781 in NY.
I-238 (duck) in Alameda County, California is basically just a long connector ramp. The entire CASR-238 (including the part that isn't Interstate or even limited access) extends quite a bit further.

No, I-238 in Alameda County does have entrances and exits besides at its ends.

Hesperian Blvd to eastbound I-238
westbound I-238 to Springlake Dr.
eastbound I-238 RORO to Lewelling Blvd
westbound I-238 RORO to 170th Ave.
eastbound I-238 to Mattox Rd./CA 238
CA 238/Mattox Rd. to westbound I-238

ilpt4u

The Ends Spur (I-94) between the Edens Expressway/Skokie Highway and the Tri-State Tollway, north of Chicago, comes pretty close to a long set of ramps from the Edens to the Tri-State, but it has one intermediate half-interchange, with Westbound On/Eastbound Off @ Waukegan Rd/IL-43

vdeane

Autoroute 930, if you count A-30 and Boul Jean-Leman as one interchange.

Quote from: index on June 11, 2017, 06:05:07 PM
Title. A limited access roadway that, on its entire length, has no on or off ramps. (Except where it begins and ends, how else are you going to get on one? (with the exception of intersections)) I know of two Interstates like this, I-189 in VT and I-781 in NY.

Sorry if there's a thread for this, I looked at over ten pages in search results and found no thread similar to this.
I-781 ends at Fort Drum, not US 11, so it does not count.

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on June 11, 2017, 06:45:13 PM
I-587
I-695 (NY)
I-478 (unsigned, though it is an important connection between boros)
I-495 (ME, unsigned)
I-283

I-695 has intermediate ramps.  I-283 too, though it was already mentioned.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

RobbieL2415

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: sbeaver44 on June 11, 2017, 06:12:20 PM
I-395, I-895A, I-895B in Baltimore.  (Technically the one 895 Spur has a ramp to another spur, but I consider both a ramp off mainline 895)

Nexus 6P

I-395 has one exit, to MLK Jr Blvd.

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

roadman65

The Crosstown Connector in Tampa.  Although one may argue that the Port of Tampa Truck access counts as an exit its actually a separate carriageway running parallel to the two main freeway alignments which has one going from EB I-4 to EB FL 618 and WB 618 to WB I-4, as well as from WB I-4 to WB FL 618 and EB FL 618 to I-4 EB.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

Quote from: roadman65 on June 15, 2017, 06:58:39 PM
The Crosstown Connector in Tampa.  Although one may argue that the Port of Tampa Truck access counts as an exit its actually a separate carriageway running parallel to the two main freeway alignments which has one going from EB I-4 to EB FL 618 and WB 618 to WB I-4, as well as from WB I-4 to WB FL 618 and EB FL 618 to I-4 EB.
That's not virtually ramps. It is ramps.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

MASTERNC

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Mr_Northside

I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

bzakharin

The PA extension of the NJ turnpike if you consider the toll plaza as its western terminus. Of course it's either not an interstate or part of I-95, so it's technically ineligible.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: bzakharin on June 20, 2017, 12:02:26 PM
The PA extension of the NJ turnpike if you consider the toll plaza as its western terminus. Of course it's either not an interstate or part of I-95, so it's technically ineligible.

The New Jersey  Turnpike continues to the state line at about the peak of the Delaware River—Turnpike Toll Bridge. Traffic entering from U.S. 130 to head toward Pennsylvania must pay a New Jersey Turnpike toll, in addition to the cashless toll point entering Pennsylvania.

It is officially part of I-95, but will not be signed until PTC (and PennDOT) finish enough of the interchange at Bristol, Pennsylvania (link to thread here on AARoads) to complete I-95.

Beyond any of the above, the  interchange at U.S. 130 (the only interchange on the New Jersey  Turnpike without a number, I  believe) would presumably make it ineligible anyway.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

bzakharin

Quote from: cpzilliacus on June 21, 2017, 08:51:17 PM
Quote from: bzakharin on June 20, 2017, 12:02:26 PM

The New Jersey  Turnpike continues to the state line at about the peak of the Delaware River—Turnpike Toll Bridge. Traffic entering from U.S. 130 to head toward Pennsylvania must pay a New Jersey Turnpike toll, in addition to the cashless toll point entering Pennsylvania.
You are right. I didn't realize there was a toll there as I've never taken that interchange. I've done the reverse, though, and there is no toll at the exit coming from PA, so maybe only the Eastbound extension sort of meets the criteria.
It is officially part of I-95, but will not be signed until PTC (and PennDOT) finish enough of the interchange at Bristol, Pennsylvania (link to thread here on AARoads) to complete I-95.
You don't have to tell me. I've briefly acknowledged such in my original post. However, it's currently unsigned, and historically had its own (also unsigned) non-Interstate designation.
Beyond any of the above, the  interchange at U.S. 130 (the only interchange on the New Jersey  Turnpike without a number, I  believe) would presumably make it ineligible anyway.
The 130 exit is officially 6A, though it's not signed. There is an unnumbered exit south of the "Exit 1" toll plaza to US 40 / NJ 140 / CR 540. Like 6A (at least Eastbound), it's outside the tolled area.

bing101

The old Embarcadero Freeway originally signed as I-480 and later CA-480 was viewed as a ramp for Downtown and was intended to connect CA-480 to golden gate bridge.

US 89

Quote from: bing101 on June 23, 2017, 02:31:24 PM
The old Embarcadero Freeway originally signed as I-480 and later CA-480 was viewed as a ramp for Downtown and was intended to connect CA-480 to golden gate bridge.

But there were several exits and entrances on that freeway.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.