What is the speed limit of the road you live on?

Started by US 89, June 21, 2017, 08:09:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is the speed limit of the road you live on?

Less than 20
70 or higher
Other

US 89

Otto Yamamoto

roadman65

25 mph as many suburban subdivisions have, although FL has a lot of them posted for 30 mph though.  Here in ours we opted for 25 mph as it used to be 30 throughout the subdivision.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

sbeaver44

35, not sure it should be.  Maybe 30 would be more appropriate.  Pennsylvania tends to be lenient on the speed allowance, so you can probably go close to 45 without being pulled over in the current 35 zone.

Nexus 6P

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

02 Park Ave

I reside on a residential street. The speed limit is 25 mph; i wish it was 20.
C-o-H

7/8

I think my residential street is 50 km/h (31 mph), though I think 40 km/h (25 mph) is a more typical speed.

roadman65

My subdivision had the people tell the HOA to keep the ridiculously low main thorofare in our subdivision at 30 mph instead of raising it to 35 or 40 were it belongs as most of the 85 percentile does that or more anyway.  What is funny about it is when cops were forced to patrol the road, most of the citations were issued to residents of our community.

So the very same people who requested the 30 mph speed zone are the very same ones who don't follow it.  It was even mentioned in the community newsletter as it completely baffolded the author's mind.

To me that is not surprising as we have a mod on here who allows for one user to be obnoxious due to the nature of a mental illness he has, but at the same time another person with the same exact illness who reacts obnoxiously is told to watch his step or be dealt with per forum guidelines. So hey I do not want others to speed but being its me I can speed though.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

PHLBOS

Quote from: sbeaver44 on June 21, 2017, 08:25:59 AM
35, not sure it should be.  Maybe 30 would be more appropriate.  Pennsylvania tends to be lenient on the speed allowance, so you can probably go close to 45 without being pulled over in the current 35 zone.
At present, only PA State Police can use radar for speed enforcement.  Local police can only use VASCAR to enforce speed limits.  As a result, the tolerance level is about 3 to 4 mph higher for VASCAR enforcement than it is for radar enforcement.  I.e. one won't get a speeding ticket if they're VASCAR-clocked lower than 10 mph above the speed limit.  With radar speed enforcement, one would get a ticket of the radar shows a measured speed greater than 6 mph above the posted limit.

The speed limit on my street is 35; mainly because it's a state (PennDOT) road/thoroughfare.

Quote from: 1 on June 21, 2017, 08:29:16 AM
Not signed.
In Massachusetts, the assumed speed limit for a thickly-settled district (most developed areas in eastern MA fall under this category) is 30 unless otherwise posted.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

froggie

^ Still, "not signed" should have been an option, even if there is a presumed speed limit in such cases.  In my case, that would mean the default state speed limit of 50 MPH.

spooky

Quote from: PHLBOS on June 21, 2017, 09:40:00 AM
Not signed.
In Massachusetts, the assumed speed limit for a thickly-settled district (most developed areas in eastern MA fall under this category) is 30 unless otherwise posted.

Many communities are opting in to the new law which allows them to change their town- or city-wide thickly settled limit to 25 mph.

A list is posted here: http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/highway/Departments/TrafficandSafetyEngineering/SpeedLimits/MGL9017C.aspx

Max Rockatansky

5 MPH, but it is private property signage that everyone ignores.

jp the roadgeek

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

TheHighwayMan3561

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

PHLBOS

Quote from: spooky on June 21, 2017, 09:48:20 AM
Not signed.

Many communities are opting in to the new law which allows them to change their town- or city-wide thickly settled limit to 25 mph.

A list is posted here: http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/highway/Departments/TrafficandSafetyEngineering/SpeedLimits/MGL9017C.aspx
The current state law of 30 for thickly-settled districts starts off with the following quantifier: Unless otherwise posted,.  That said, the fore-mentioned cities & towns adopting a thickly-settled speed limit of 25 falls under that; i.e., there has to be at least one sign posted at the town/city line stating such.

Assuming that 1's listed location of MA/NH Border is true & current; at present, there's no town along the NH border that adopted the lower thickly-settled limit of 25.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 21, 2017, 09:53:47 AM
Is the road paved?
GPS does NOT equal GOD

hotdogPi

Quote from: PHLBOS on June 21, 2017, 01:39:00 PM
Assuming that 1's listed location of MA/NH Border is true & current; at present, there's no town along the NH border that adopted the lower thickly-settled limit of 25.

My town is not listed there. However, I accidentally voted 25 instead of 30, thinking that there was a separate category for residential streets.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

renegade

My street is unsigned.  The default speed limit for unsigned roads in my state is 55 mph.  Some folks around the neighborhood take "unsigned" to mean "no speed limit," so it's not unusual to see drivers accepting the challenge to travel 70 mph or more.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

epzik8

25 MPH. I live on a short cul-de-sac in the sticks.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

JJBers

45 mph...I live on a rural section of a semi-major road.
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

kkt

Unsigned, so default Seattle residential street speed limit of 20 mph.  Just lowered from 25.
The street ends at a pedestrian and bicycle bridge about four houses down from mine, so drivers are pretty much following it.

cjk374

HOAs are communist organizations. But that is for another thread.

45 for me.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: PHLBOS on June 21, 2017, 01:39:00 PM
Quote from: spooky on June 21, 2017, 09:48:20 AM
Not signed.

The current state law of 30 for thickly-settled districts starts off with the following quantifier: Unless otherwise posted,.  That said, the fore-mentioned cities & towns adopting a thickly-settled speed limit of 25 falls under that; i.e., there has to be at least one sign posted at the town/city line stating such.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 21, 2017, 09:53:47 AM
Is the road paved?

Yes and was just resurfaced even.

sparker

Seeing that I usually park directly under the sign, it's 25 mph.  I live one house from the corner of a major artery posted at 35 mph (although the average speed is closer to the mid-40's); many drivers taking the right turn at the intersection function as if they're taking a RH turn at Sonoma Speedway; I've almost had my ass handed to me just getting out of the car on more than one occasion.  My street gets a lot of traffic, as it's a block away from the local school complex (middle school, high school, and Christian school all adjacent to one another); most afternoons about 3 p.m. there are hordes of "helicopter parents" in their SUV's and minivans picking up their kids and subsequently backing up all ways to get out of the neighborhood! -- and they're among the worst offenders, speed-wise, when they're arriving on the scene!  Fortunately I'm usually at the office or out & about during that time, so at least for me it's not a regular issue. 

jakeroot

Quote from: froggie on June 21, 2017, 09:44:50 AM
^ Still, "not signed" should have been an option, even if there is a presumed speed limit in such cases.  In my case, that would mean the default state speed limit of 50 MPH.

When you guys say "state speed limit", do you mean "state highway limit" or "government-maintained road limit" or what? Here in Washington, state highways have a limit of 60 (if unsigned). County roads are 50 (if unsigned). All other roads are city roads, and are 25 (if unposted), unless otherwise modified by a local council. I'm guessing other states don't have different limits for state and county roads?

I live on a one-way couplet posted at 30. The other direction is posted at 25, as it has more pedestrian traffic.

xcellntbuy

GA 212 55 mph on the edge of the Oconee National Forest.  More deer and trees than cars at any time.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.