News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Highest quality road in your state

Started by fillup420, August 13, 2017, 06:15:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fillup420

North Carolina: I-85, by far. At least 6 lanes across from Charlotte to the eastern split with I-40. Super smooth pavement, and several improvement projects in progress.

ekt8750

Does it have to be the entire length of the route in that state or can just a segment suffice? Cause I can't think of any freeway in PA that from end to end, or state line to state line that doesn't have at least one segment that leaves a bit to be desired.

Brandon

Pick a tollway, but the most up to date is currently I-90 from Rockford to O'Hare.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Max Rockatansky

In terms of maintenance quality really probably CA 178.  I can't think of any major spots with big pot holes, ground up asphalt, or really bad surfacing.  I want to say there might be some minor surface issues in Bakersfield but that's really it.  The rest of 178 is a very low pass of the Sierras over Walker Pass which hardly gets chain controls.  The rest of the route is out in the Mojave which tends just the right climate for maintenance.  Most of the freeways, expressways, and mountain routes are in really bad shape from heavy use, slides, or other weather related damage.  CA 180 also comes to mind for lack of surfaces issues, the major hiccup spot is Kings Canyon due to the threat of rockfall. 

RobbieL2415

CT 2 is pretty lit right now.  Lines and rumble strips are all in mint condition.  85% new pavement.  75% new guard railing.  75% new reflectors and warning signage.  Really can't wait until the new BGS's go up, whenever that ends up being.

epzik8

Arguably Maryland's 109 miles of I-95, from the Wilson Bridge to Elkton.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

fillup420

Quote from: ekt8750 on August 13, 2017, 08:06:18 PM
Does it have to be the entire length of the route in that state or can just a segment suffice? Cause I can't think of any freeway in PA that from end to end, or state line to state line that doesn't have at least one segment that leaves a bit to be desired.

Yeah, segments are fine.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on August 13, 2017, 09:24:15 PM
CT 2 is pretty lit right now.  Lines and rumble strips are all in mint condition.  85% new pavement.  75% new guard railing.  75% new reflectors and warning signage.  Really can't wait until the new BGS's go up, whenever that ends up being.

I was thinking I-84 between CT 15 and I-384.  8 regular lanes, HOV lane in each direction, well lit, well paved & lined.  Only thing that needs replacement are the 1980's era non-reflective BGS's
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Jmiles32

Quote from: epzik8 on August 13, 2017, 10:58:50 PM
Arguably Maryland's 109 miles of I-95, from the Wilson Bridge to Elkton.

IMO for Maryland, The Intercounty Connector(MD-200) wins in a landslide. While I don't have a problem with most I-95 through Maryland, the portion on the Capital Beltway ruins it for me.

Now Virginia on the other hand is tough, and not for a good reason. I-95 and I-81 are complete disasters, I-64 and I-66 aren't great, and I-77 and I-85 aren't great either(but with their low traffic counts its less obvious). There also aren't any auxiliary interstates, US highways or State highways that stand out to me either. So as of now, I'm to give the honor to the Virginia side of the Capital Beltway(minus the part north of Tyson's Corner) simply because of the HOT Lanes Project, The Springfield Interchange, The Local and Thru Lanes in Alexandria, and finally because the Maryland portion is so much worse. 
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

jwolfer

For Florida I would say the recently rebuilt and widened section of i4 from SR44 to just west of i95 in Volusia County.

I think all the urban interstates are under some kind of construction.

LGMS428

JKRhodes

For Arizona, I nominate Interstate 10; aside from the perpetually buckling section in Benson and a smattering of construction projects throughout its length, it is very smooth and well maintained along its 390 miles.

sparker

Since most of the Interstates are showing their age -- and the original concrete pavement is invariably starting to have issues -- I'd have to say I-5 from Redding up to Castle Crags; much of that was opened as late as 1992, and the few problem areas have been largely rebuilt.  North of there the '70's-era concrete has become a washerboard (due to severe winters), as has much of the portion from Sacramento north to Redding.  Except for occasional segments that have seen relatively recent repaving, much of the California state highway system is hurting as far as pavement condition and smoothness; the backlog for revamping seems to be constantly growing.

jeffandnicole

For an overall highway, the Atlantic City Expressway is probably the winner in NJ. Overall a very smooth highway.

The NJ Turnpike would win from Interchange 9 and south, but the asphalt above Interchange 11 is in horrendous condition in some areas.

TheHighwayMan3561

Minnesota's is probably MN 100, with two newly or recently rebuilt sections and a third one that was recently resurfaced. The traffic still sucks on it though.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

roadman

For Massachusetts, it would have to be I-93/I-95 between Randolph and Needham.  Recently widened and upgraded as part of the "Add-a-Lane" project, the pavement, markings, and BGS panels are all in excellent condition.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

ilpt4u

Quote from: Brandon on August 13, 2017, 08:23:41 PM
Pick a tollway, but the most up to date is currently I-90 from Rockford to O'Hare.
I might give the I-55/I-74/US 51 Triplex around Bloomington/Normal an honorary mention for IL

IDOT did a pretty good job on that one

I-74 through Peoria (From the IL River to I-474/IL 6) is in pretty good shape, too. The actual bridge over the IL River over to East Peoria, is a bit substandard, I must confess

nexus73

I-205 from Oregon City to the Glenn Jackson Bridge/Washington border is about as good as it gets for urban Oregon freeways.  The section heading to I-5 from Oregon City is supposed to get an upgrade from 4 lanes to 6 lanes.  Once that is done, then all of the route in Oregon will be pretty good.

I-82 in northeastern Oregon is a low volume freeway section with plenty of alternate routes in the area but it is the last section of main Interstate built in the Beaver State, so figure that is our best section of Interstate in rural Oregon.

For US routes, 199 from the California border to Grants Pass OR has received plenty of improvements over the years.  If the "entire route in a state" method is used to pick an US route, then 199 is the winner.  Sometimes being short helps!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

PHLBOS

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on August 14, 2017, 01:54:35 AMI was thinking I-84 between CT 15 and I-384.  8 regular lanes, HOV lane in each direction, well lit, well paved & lined.  Only thing that needs replacement are the 1980's era non-reflective BGS's
Actually, those BGS' are indeed reflective but have dulled w/age.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

02 Park Ave

In Ohio,
The Turnpike from Youngstown to Toledo.  The pavement is good and it is 3 lanes in each direction.
C-o-H

JJBers

For Rhode Island, I-95 in Providence, and US 6 expressway outside of Providence.
In East CT, CT 2A up to the bridge.
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

US 89

In Utah, probably the sections of I-15 between Spanish Fork and American Fork, and between Lehi and Draper.

intelati49

For roads I have driven on in MO, it's probably the Ozark Mountain Highway (MO 465).

It's a 6,000 AADT fully access controlled road with winding turns and split grade. AKA, my perfect freeway.

It's kind of a shame Branson canceled the plans to make it a full beltway.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.