News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Instead of speeding tickets, a thought I had...

Started by inkyatari, August 21, 2017, 09:39:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

inkyatari

Just a theory, thought, what have you. I'm sure there are pitfalls.

Instead of fining people for speeding, why not sell a speeding pass? For whatever price, you purchase a sticker with an RFID chip and place it on your front windshield. This gives you the right to go faster on the highways (local regulations would have to be worked out. It would not be valid say in downtown areas, near schools and the like.) You could price a yearly one at double a regular speeding ticket, and it would give you the comfort of knowing that you won't get harassed by the police.

As for the RFID chip, it would have the vehicle's ID, so that  speed cameras, or cops who are looking for speeders would pick up the signal, and either pull you over, or send you a bill for for the pass, with an additional "enforcement fee." This system would also do away with the points system.  This would be "positive" enforcement, instead of the current system which is "negative" enforcement.

To look at it another way, this would be something that gives value to drivers.

I know the idea may not work, and there would be a lot more rules to it than what I outlined, but I think it should at least be studied.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

hotdogPi

Implementing this system would make it clear that speed limits are meant for revenue and not safety.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13,44,50
MA 22,40,107,109,117,119,126,141,159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; UK A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; FR95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New: MA 14, 123

LM117

Virginia would charge you with Reckless Driving just for even suggesting the idea. :-D
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

inkyatari

Quote from: 1 on August 21, 2017, 09:43:15 AM
Implementing this system would make it clear that speed limits are meant for revenue and not safety.

Precisely.  At least they wouldn't have to fake it anymore.

jeffandnicole

The purpose of the speed limit - and all traffic laws - is to accommodate all travelers of all types - cars, trucks, pedestrians, bicyclists, etc.  That includes on the local streets.  If the speed limit is 40 mph in a light residential area, are you as a homeowner going to be happy some guy is speeding by at 60 mph...lawfully?   You say it's only good for the highways, but go on to say it won't be valid in school zones (which aren't located on highways), so I'm trying to figure out where you really want them at.

You also have to figure out what tolerance they're going to provide.  If they're going to give you, say, a 15 mph tolerance above the posted limit, and the cops are already giving you that tolerance on the highways, what's the incentive to pay $500?

You would also need the state's entire police force equipped with the speed-allowing equipment, which would be a very costly proposition.

SP Cook

- The purpose of traffic enforcement is revenue. 

- The do sell "speeding passes".  Your local FOP, etc. will be glad to sell you a sticker that, wink, wink, has no effect on their random taxation efforts.  Right.  My state's trooper sell this slick magazine, with full page ads from every trucking company, bus company, Teamster local, and such.  Just because those outfits really care about a magazine that less than 300 people receive.  Right.  Imagine any other public servants (teachers for example) selling stickers that, wink, wink, won't affect your relationship with the government. 

- In some places, many people are born with or easily acquire a form of "speeding pass".  It can be as simple as being white, or refraining from puting a sticker the random (not so random) taxer disagrees with on your bumper.

This is all a part of the illigitimate and corrupting system of traffic enforcement.  A fundamental evil that damages our society and should be eliminated in its entirety.

inkyatari

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 21, 2017, 10:26:14 AM
The purpose of the speed limit - and all traffic laws - is to accommodate all travelers of all types - cars, trucks, pedestrians, bicyclists, etc.  That includes on the local streets.  If the speed limit is 40 mph in a light residential area, are you as a homeowner going to be happy some guy is speeding by at 60 mph...lawfully?   You say it's only good for the highways, but go on to say it won't be valid in school zones (which aren't located on highways), so I'm trying to figure out where you really want them at.

You also have to figure out what tolerance they're going to provide.  If they're going to give you, say, a 15 mph tolerance above the posted limit, and the cops are already giving you that tolerance on the highways, what's the incentive to pay $500?

You would also need the state's entire police force equipped with the speed-allowing equipment, which would be a very costly proposition.

All controlled access highways.

As far as the equipment, not necessarily.

SidS1045

The current system of traffic enforcement justifies thousands of jobs...judges, clerks, attorneys, police officers and insurance company personnel.  Blowing up this system costs all these people their jobs.

Boo-freakin'-hoo.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

kalvado

If anything, I would rather implement additional paid testing and training for those willing to get "speeder license". There are similar classes for police and emergency drivers anyway, nothing new here. That would end up both improving actual road safety - and  create revenue and jobs. And yes, failure has to be an option for those periodic retrainings; you don't keep that rating till 90 once you pass at 25...

inkyatari

Quote from: kalvado on August 21, 2017, 01:54:46 PM
If anything, I would rather implement additional paid testing and training for those willing to get "speeder license". There are similar classes for police and emergency drivers anyway, nothing new here. That would end up both improving actual road safety - and  create revenue and jobs. And yes, failure has to be an option for those periodic retrainings; you don't keep that rating till 90 once you pass at 25...

That's actually not a bad idea.

texaskdog

Quote from: 1 on August 21, 2017, 09:43:15 AM

Which they would NEVER do!

US 89

That wouldn't be fair because more rich people could afford the speeding pass than the general population.

jakeroot

Exurban and rural speed limits are set to encourage balanced traffic speeds. This idea would be contrary to that goal, ergo, I don't think it would ever see the light of day.

As mentioned by SP Cook, "speed passes" do, sort of, exist. Here in Washington, vehicles with fire battalion logos/plates don't really get pulled over. As well, cars with LEM (Law Enforcement Memorial) plates might be stopped, but don't get hardly any tickets (from what I've been told). In relation to the second one, it is quite common to see modified vehicles with LEM plates.

kalvado

Quote from: roadguy2 on August 22, 2017, 12:51:51 AM
That wouldn't be fair because more rich people could afford the speeding pass than the general population.
Welcome to real world!
My former big boss loved sports cars (I remember him having  Maserati, Ferrari and Lamborghini at different times), a good lawyer - and basically paid tickets at wholesale prices...

kalvado

Quote from: jakeroot on August 22, 2017, 01:25:54 AM
Exurban and rural speed limits are set to encourage balanced traffic speeds. This idea would be contrary to that goal, ergo, I don't think it would ever see the light of day.

As mentioned by SP Cook, "speed passes" do, sort of, exist. Here in Washington, vehicles with fire battalion logos/plates don't really get pulled over. As well, cars with LEM (Law Enforcement Memorial) plates might be stopped, but don't get hardly any tickets (from what I've been told). In relation to the second one, it is quite common to see modified vehicles with LEM plates.
Apparently speed limits often set too low for balanced speeds (we have 65 max over here, though). My impression is that speed limit has to be such that there are different tiers of traffic using different lanes. It is known that trucks don't really exceed 70-75 on level road no matter what limit is - and that would be a good speed for right lane. Left lane can be ~10 MPH faster. Yes, that eliminates beloved "keep right" and makes life more difficult for very high speeds. And yes, that is for ideal highways, real ones are more complicated.
As for excused cars.. NY style:
There is a "thin blue line" - either sticker or license plate style, later mounted near or instead of front plate (NY requires 2 plates). Requires officer or immediate family member in a car.  Its OK to drive drunk and almost OK to leave scene of bodily injury accident with those (felony charge can be plead down to $50 ticket in that case).
Stickers from "retired police officer association" and such can be purchased on an annual basis for nominal donation. Usually provide owner with a warning in case of being pulled over.
Some more department-specific things seem to be less consistent and less universal.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: inkyatari on August 21, 2017, 09:39:40 AM
Just a theory, thought, what have you. I'm sure there are pitfalls.

Instead of fining people for speeding, why not sell a speeding pass? For whatever price, you purchase a sticker with an RFID chip and place it on your front windshield. This gives you the right to go faster on the highways (local regulations would have to be worked out. It would not be valid say in downtown areas, near schools and the like.) You could price a yearly one at double a regular speeding ticket, and it would give you the comfort of knowing that you won't get harassed by the police.

As for the RFID chip, it would have the vehicle's ID, so that  speed cameras, or cops who are looking for speeders would pick up the signal, and either pull you over, or send you a bill for for the pass, with an additional "enforcement fee." This system would also do away with the points system.  This would be "positive" enforcement, instead of the current system which is "negative" enforcement.

To look at it another way, this would be something that gives value to drivers.

I know the idea may not work, and there would be a lot more rules to it than what I outlined, but I think it should at least be studied.

what about having roads with no speed limit like Germany and real speed limits on other ones. All of the IL tollway needs to be at least 70 (some parts can be posted at 75-80)

SP Cook

Of course.  SLs are set too low for revenue purposes.  This "random tax" is the main, I would say only, reason for traffic enforcement in the first place.  As science teaches us, the dismantling of the NMSL was met, despite the idiocy from the special interests, with massive declines in traffic mortality and morbidity.  As has every subsuquent increase. 

The thing to do is really simple.  Raise the speed limits, rip out the radar guns, and take and exit deal with murder, rape, theft, dope, asault, kidnapping and other actual crimes.

kalvado

Quote from: SP Cook on August 22, 2017, 10:59:55 AM
Of course.  SLs are set too low for revenue purposes.  This "random tax" is the main, I would say only, reason for traffic enforcement in the first place.  As science teaches us, the dismantling of the NMSL was met, despite the idiocy from the special interests, with massive declines in traffic mortality and morbidity.  As has every subsuquent increase. 

The thing to do is really simple.  Raise the speed limits, rip out the radar guns, and take and exit deal with murder, rape, theft, dope, asault, kidnapping and other actual crimes.
Thing is, there are clearly not very adequate drivers on the road. Everyone has their own definition of what "adequate" means - but I question anyone making more than 3 lane changes per minute. SO enforcement on a highway is still required. Besides, I saw more than a few situations when people got pulled over for unsecured load, or pax in trunk or things like that.  Speeding tickets just allow that to be a self-supporting operation.

bzakharin

Quote from: SP Cook on August 22, 2017, 10:59:55 AM
This "random tax" is the main, I would say only, reason for traffic enforcement in the first place. 
Really? You think traffic laws should not be enforced? It's one thing to say speed limits are artificially low, but no reason to enforce any traffic laws except revenue? No problem with driving down a residential road at 80 MPH? Driving wrong way? Blocking busy intersections? Ignoring traffic lights? Please tell me I'm misunderstanding.

SectorZ

Quote from: SidS1045 on August 21, 2017, 01:43:06 PM
The current system of traffic enforcement justifies thousands of jobs...judges, clerks, attorneys, police officers and insurance company personnel.  Blowing up this system costs all these people their jobs.

Boo-freakin'-hoo.

As someone who worked in insurance for years, explain how insurance company personnel are employed due to speeding tickets?

tribar

But being pulled over for going with the flow of traffic or driving fast but safely when speed limits are far too low is?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: tribar on August 22, 2017, 12:16:45 PM

But being pulled over for going with the flow of traffic or driving fast but safely when speed limits are far too low is?

Because "speed limits are far too low" is opinion.  Driving fast but safely is also opinion based.

The law is: Drive at or under the speed limit.  Going with the flow of traffic is someone's own doing.  Likewise, if a store is being ransacked and you're the one getting caught, "Everyone else was stealing" isn't a very good defense.

formulanone

Quote from: kalvado on August 22, 2017, 07:09:21 AM
Welcome to real world!

The point is that the punishment should be more or less equal; dependent on actual circumstances, not financial ones. Whether someone gets away with these so-called "crimes" on other circumstances in court is a matter for the courts and legal record. That's the whole reason a point system was devised, so a rich person could pay their way out of the same consequences for the same "crime".

If you're really into driving fast, you buy some time at a race track or participate in a local autocross. Problem solved, though local tracks aren't in everyone's backyard.

(I do think that most toll roads and rural highways should afford one some security from a 5-over-the-limit speeding ticket, so as long as you're following other rules of the road.)

SP Cook

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 22, 2017, 12:26:46 PM

The law is: Drive at or under the speed limit. 

The law also used to be blacks in the back of the bus, Jews in the ovens, women were property, and people leaving East Germany were to be shot on sight.

So what.  Unjust laws should be disrespected.  People who do so are heroes.

formulanone

Quote from: SP Cook on August 22, 2017, 12:37:09 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 22, 2017, 12:26:46 PM

The law is: Drive at or under the speed limit. 

The law also used to be blacks in the back of the bus, Jews in the ovens, women were property, and people leaving East Germany were to be shot on sight.

So what.  Unjust laws should be disrespected.  People who do so are heroes.

Jeebus, let's not summon Godwin's Law to get out of a speeding ticket.

Nobody called me a hero for the 15-16 speeding tickets I've racked up over the years, and I'm not expecting the monument to stupidity anytime soon.

So as long as the racket has supporters on all sides (public safety officials, insurance companies, non-profit groups), there's always going to be enforcement.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.